Problem with WEP security and a sitecom wireless range extender

Old September 21st 08, 01:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Smithson

Default Problem with WEP security and a sitecom wireless range extender

Hi,

I have a wireless network configured with 128 bit WEP security. The
laptop upstairs doesn't always work very well so I have bought a range
extender made by Sitecom (WP 150).

Everything works fine with no WEP enabled on either the wireless
router or the range extender. Once I enable WEP on both, I can't get
connected to the range extender. Or perhaps the range extender can't
connect to the wireless router. I'm not sure.

The range extender only has one set-up page for security. This
confuses me as I thought it'd have one page to set-up security so that
it can connect to the existing network and then another page to
configure security for computers connecting to it. Either way, I put
in the key for my wireless router and then I can't use it.

Here's a snap shot of the set-up page for the extender and the laptop
I'm trying to connect with -
http://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/gu2G7m

What can I do?

Thanks.

Peter.
Old September 21st 08, 03:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Smithson

What can I do?

Strange. It works now! I've been at this for hours!

I've another minor problem now which I'll start a new topic on.

Old September 22nd 08, 09:21 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

Peter Smithson wrote:
Hi,

I have a wireless network configured with 128 bit WEP security.

Is that not an oxymoron these days?
Old September 22nd 08, 11:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Smithson

On Sep 22, 9:21*am, Mike Scott
wrote:
Peter Smithson wrote:
Hi,

I have a wireless network configured with 128 bit WEP security.

Is that not an oxymoron these days?

:-)

I did read about that when I was looking for help. For a home
network, I'm only looking to avoid accidental use by a neighbour.
Old September 23rd 08, 09:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

Peter Smithson wrote:
On Sep 22, 9:21 am, Mike Scott
wrote:
Peter Smithson wrote:
Hi,
I have a wireless network configured with 128 bit WEP security.

Is that not an oxymoron these days?

:-)

I did read about that when I was looking for help. For a home
network, I'm only looking to avoid accidental use by a neighbour.

Your call of course; but unless there's good reason otherwise, why not
use WPA? I'd be worried about 'drive-by' types myself, and potentially
having to explain to the jury that I didn't download that material.......

Old September 23rd 08, 10:01 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Mike Scott" wrote in message
Peter Smithson wrote:
On Sep 22, 9:21 am, Mike Scott
wrote:
Peter Smithson wrote:
Hi,
I have a wireless network configured with 128 bit WEP security.
Is that not an oxymoron these days?

:-)

I did read about that when I was looking for help. For a home
network, I'm only looking to avoid accidental use by a neighbour.

Your call of course; but unless there's good reason otherwise, why not use
WPA?

The "good reason" is usually that one or more computers that needs to use
the wireless network will only support WEP. My girlfriend's 2003-vintage
laptop only supports WEP (and only 11 Mbps Wireless B!), so even even though
her new desktop PC and her router support WPA I've had to set the network up
to use WPA. I'm sure a PCMCIA card would support WPA but then there's the
hassle of having a card protruding from the laptop which is vulnerable to
damage. She's reluctant to get a new laptop because the existing one is
unusually small, even by modern standards.

Yesterday I was setting up a network where one of the PCs is still on the
original release of XP (as opposed to SP1, 2 or 3) and does not work with
WPA. I was going to upgrade it to SP2 but a variety of other problems to do
with a half-installed limbo-state package which could be time-consuming to
resolve mean that the owner has decided to upgrade this 6-year-old PC to a
new one.

Also, I've come across a lot of range extenders which only support WEP -
Belkin, especially.

Old September 25th 08, 01:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Smithson

On Sep 23, 9:37*am, Mike Scott
wrote:

Your call of course; but unless there's good reason otherwise, why not
use WPA? I'd be worried about 'drive-by' types myself, and potentially
having to explain to the jury that I didn't download that material.......

I can see your point. I live in a dead end street so not too bad for
that. I'd soon notice someone sitting outside with their laptop. In
fact, if they could get a good signal at that distance, I'd ask them
what WiFi card they're using. ;-)

Not sure if my Archos 605 or Wii support WPA - maybe they do. The
laptop's a bit old but might do it.