Be/O2 Same but different?

Old September 21st 08, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Default Be/O2 Same but different?

Following a tormentuous time with UK Online (who previously provided a
good service) I fear the time has come to fly the nest.

It seems that O2 since buying Be had a few problems in the early days
but generally (from what I can tell) seems to be getting very good reviews.

So, Is O2 the same base network as Be in the same way that Uk0nline is,
since Sky bought Easynet a few years back, the same as SkyBroadband
(just with different tech/customer support etc)

What I mean is....
If I connect over Be then I am connecting through the same kit and
network as I would be going through O2, therefore network reliabillity
(ur un-reliaillity) would be the same?

I fancy "Be" as the "business end" of my VPN is 200m from the exchange
and currently syncs at 24Mbps on UK-online so I should be able to
benefit from Be's "upload plus" speeds of around 2.5Mbps

As "reviews" can be tainted by technically incompetent users who blame
bad hardware and interconnects, settings etc on the ISP I thought I'd
try to find more "educated" reviews by folks that appreciate the
important of line attenuation, SNR, decent internal wiring etc etc.
:)

Cheers
Pete
Old September 21st 08, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 09:54:34 +0100, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

What I mean is....
If I connect over Be then I am connecting through the same kit and
network as I would be going through O2, therefore network reliabillity
(ur un-reliaillity) would be the same?

Yes, in this regard Be and O2 are the same.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
16:18:51 up 9 days, 17:58, 3 users, load average: 0.51, 0.18, 0.04
Old September 22nd 08, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SimonB

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Following a tormentuous time with UK Online (who previously provided a
good service) I fear the time has come to fly the nest.

What kind of problems
Old September 22nd 08, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

SimonB wrote:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Following a tormentuous time with UK Online (who previously provided a
good service) I fear the time has come to fly the nest.

What kind of problems

A problem that was idenified as being a network/server termination of
authenticated sesion every 6 minutes leading to a drop of service while
the session had to be re-initiated and authenticated and a new dynamic
IP address allocated.

The problem was verified as being ISP end by my detailed syslog logs
from draytek router. but I still had to waste many days replacing and
testing my own kit before they'd look into the matter.

Finally... after they accepted the problem and that the problem was
proven by allowing me to log in with a test account which had a static
IP address which didn't drop out every 6 minutes they then refused to
allocate a fixed IP address (even temorarilly) to sort the problem.

To most users it might not have been a noticeable problem but as I use
the connection for both VOIP and VPN these were unusable.

UK Online have taken the marketing strategy of a claimed "business" ISP
with reliabillity and lack of down time as key points however my
problems as a "business user" for connecting from my "home office" to
business address received no better support and response than I'd get
from a cheaper supplier offering greater speeds.

As I pointed out to them I could actually save 30 a month by moving
both My UKonline accounts to skybroadband and still be connecting
through the same kit in the exchange, all be-it with better available
speeds.

So... I'm veering towards O2 for home connection and Be for office to
get upload plus speeds.

Cheers
Pete
Old September 22nd 08, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Digby

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:58:19 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

[...]

If you are thinking of using a Draytek router with BE/O2 I would
suggest you should look for some opinions on the Draytek forum
http://www.draytek.co.uk/forum or http://www.beforum.co.uk/

In particular the Vigor 2800(now obsolete) doesn't work at full adsl2+
speeds without the ISP changing some settings, O2 don't seem to be
prepared to do that. Even then it's slower than most other routers,
Old September 22nd 08, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Digby wrote:

If you are thinking of using a Draytek router with BE/O2 I would
suggest you should look for some opinions on the Draytek forum
http://www.draytek.co.uk/forum or http://www.beforum.co.uk/

In particular the Vigor 2800(now obsolete) doesn't work at full adsl2+
speeds without the ISP changing some settings, O2 don't seem to be
prepared to do that. Even then it's slower than most other routers,

Thanks Digby,

However my router is connected via a pair of Vigor100 modems which do
PPPoA - PPPoE Bridge and have had a firmware update primarily based
around Be default values.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/dow...eadme_v100.txt

"[New Features]
- Added support for MPoA
[Improvements & Corrected Problems]
- Set default MPoA DSL modem settings to Bethere values"

So I should be covered on that one.
Thanks for the word of caution though.

Cheers
Pete