Duplicate IP address on Windows XP

Old September 21st 08, 03:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Smithson

Default Duplicate IP address on Windows XP

Hi,

I've just got this Sitecom WP 130 wireless range extender working but
there's a strange problem.

If I use the old wireless PCMCIA card that I have, everything is
fine. If I use the fancy 54mbps MIMO one, I get a message about
"duplicate ip address". I've tried re-starting the hardware to see if
there's some table that needs clearing out but that didn't help.

I've tried setting the IP address manually but then it doesn't work at
all.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Peter.
Old September 21st 08, 03:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Peter Smithson" wrote in message
Hi,

I've just got this Sitecom WP 130 wireless range extender working but
there's a strange problem.

If I use the old wireless PCMCIA card that I have, everything is
fine. If I use the fancy 54mbps MIMO one, I get a message about
"duplicate ip address". I've tried re-starting the hardware to see if
there's some table that needs clearing out but that didn't help.

Have you tried restarting the router as well? It's possible that the
following has happened:

1. PC1 with PCMCIA card connects and is given IP address X

2. PC2 connects and is given address Y

3. PC1 is rebooted with MIMO card and again asks for an IP address. This
card has a different MAC address so the router's DHCP server thinks it's a
new PC and gives it a new IP address - but for some reason it gives it
address Y, thinking that this is no longer in use.

In other words, the router's DHCP could have become a bit confused. Try
rebooting everything, in the following order:

1. router
2. range extender
3. PC2
4. PC1 with MIMO card

letting the router start fully before starting the range extender and
letting the RE start before starting any PC that uses it.

One other thought: you have excluded the RE's IP address from the router's
DHCP pool so the router doesn't try to give that address to a PC?

Old September 22nd 08, 01:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 07:04:48 -0700 (PDT)
Peter Smithson wrote:

Hi,

I've just got this Sitecom WP 130 wireless range extender working but
there's a strange problem.

If I use the old wireless PCMCIA card that I have, everything is
fine. If I use the fancy 54mbps MIMO one, I get a message about
"duplicate ip address". I've tried re-starting the hardware to see if
there's some table that needs clearing out but that didn't help.

I've tried setting the IP address manually but then it doesn't work at
all.

Any suggestions?

The PC is smart enough to notice that two adapters have the same
address, and not smart enough to realise that you won't be using them
both at the same time. Uninstall the old one and the message should go
away.

Old September 22nd 08, 11:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Smithson

On Sep 22, 1:27*am, Rob Morley wrote:

The PC is smart enough to notice that two adapters have the same
address, and not smart enough to realise that you won't be using them
both at the same time. *Uninstall the old one and the message should go
away.

Hi,

I don't think that can be it. If that was the case, then un-plugging
the MIMO card and plugging in the old one would not fix the problem.

Also, they shouldn't be assigned an IP address when the PCMCIA card is
removed. If I type "ipconfig" with nothing connected, there is no IP
address.

Peter
Old September 22nd 08, 11:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Smithson

On Sep 21, 3:22*pm, "Mortimer" wrote:

In other words, the router's DHCP could have become a bit confused. Try
rebooting everything, in the following order:

1. router
2. range extender
3. PC2
4. PC1 with MIMO card

letting the router start fully before starting the range extender and
letting the RE start before starting any PC that uses it.

I did cold boot the router too but I'm not sure what order I did it
all in now so I'll try that all again when I get home. It might have
forgotten by now anyway - I believe these things expire.

One other thought: you have excluded the RE's IP address from the router's
DHCP pool so the router doesn't try to give that address to a PC?

I think I'm OK on that one for a while. The RE's IP ends with .254.
The allocated IP's start at .2. I've not explicitly excluded it but I
don't have that many devices. Good point though.

Peter.