Mobile broadband question

Old September 21st 08, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Hodgson

Default Mobile broadband question

Hi,

What is the difference between me using PC Suite on the laptop and
using one of these USB dongles and a mobile broadband package? Is the
SIM card in the later set up differently? I was playing with one of
these at work, and the connection seemed a lot more quicker than me
using PC Suite on the phone, as I have done in recent times.

Thanks.
Andrew.
Old September 21st 08, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Weston

In article . com, me3
@privacy.net says...
Hi,

What is the difference between me using PC Suite on the laptop and
using one of these USB dongles and a mobile broadband package? Is the
SIM card in the later set up differently? I was playing with one of
these at work, and the connection seemed a lot more quicker than me
using PC Suite on the phone, as I have done in recent times.

What is the speed of the modem on your phone to which PC suite connects?
What are the capabilities of the mobile network in your area, both at
work and home?

The fastest data network uses HSDPA/HSUPA (High Speed Downlink/Uplink
Packet Access), currently capeable of "up to" 3.6Mbps in network areas
supporting the technology.

It's nothing to do with the SIM card, given you are on the right tariff,
since the connection speed is dependent on the capabilites of the modem
in the phone or in the USB dongle. Most older phones are 2G (up to
38Kbps) or (up to 1.8Mbps). The current USB dongles are also HSPDA
capeable and this will, no doubt, be appearing in phones also.

I suggest you investigate the mobile broadband services provided by the
mobile companies. (Hope I've got the speeds right, since they were all
AFAICR...)
--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Old September 21st 08, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 21/09/2008 19:57, John Weston wrote:

It's nothing to do with the SIM card

Surely you need a 3G USIM instead of a normal GSM SIM (and suitable
dongle, or laptop with built in 3G, or phone with bluetooth or USB data
cable) to get access to a the 3G network.
Old September 21st 08, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Hodgson

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:57:03 +0100, John Weston
wrote:

In article . com, me3
says...
Hi,

What is the difference between me using PC Suite on the laptop and
using one of these USB dongles and a mobile broadband package? Is the
SIM card in the later set up differently? I was playing with one of
these at work, and the connection seemed a lot more quicker than me
using PC Suite on the phone, as I have done in recent times.

What is the speed of the modem on your phone to which PC suite connects?
What are the capabilities of the mobile network in your area, both at
work and home?

The phone is an E90, and I am using the USB data cable. I don't have
3G signal here or at work (the phone doesn't have the 3G icon on the
screen anyhow). Yet, when connecting via the USB modem at work, the
speed was completely different to that of using the modem in the E90.

I suggest you investigate the mobile broadband services provided by the
mobile companies. (Hope I've got the speeds right, since they were all
AFAICR...)

That's just it - I want to try and use my existing SIM as it has
unlimited data already for getting push email. This is on O2
contract.

Andrew.
Old September 22nd 08, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Andy Burns wrote:
Surely you need a 3G USIM instead of a normal GSM SIM (and suitable
dongle, or laptop with built in 3G, or phone with bluetooth or USB data
cable) to get access to a the 3G network.

Is there actually any difference between a USIM for plain 3G and one for
HSDPA/HSUPA? I've seen eBay people selling 'HSDPA SIMs' and wondered if it
was just a marketing ploy.

Theo