BT internet phone

Old September 22nd 08, 01:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl

Default BT internet phone

Hello all,

Is there any other way of getting the BT internet phone working using
Netgear DG834GT router. I do not want to use the BT Home Hub, but of course
I'd like to be able to make cheap phone calls. The wireless on the BT Home
hub is woeful in comparison to my Netgear stuff, and I haven't a clue where
to begin with this, as far as I am aware, I can only get a skype phone to
work?

Old September 22nd 08, 03:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Forget BT, they even charge rental on their VoIP !
There is plenty of better and cheaper VoIP providers.
You can start with sipgate.co.uk which is rental free, all you pay is calls
to non VoIP users.
They provide free soft phone software.
If you want actual handset which can be used without the computer,
then you need some hardware. Have look at what sipgate offers, though it may
not be the best place to buy from.
Perhaps the easiest is Siemens 475IP Dect phone which plugs into ethernet
port of your router \and the landline, then you can make calls via both VoIP
and landline. Not cheap though ~£90.
Or you can get an ATA which connects to your router and then plug any old
phone in to that.
WiFi VoIP phones are reasonably cheap now.
For more answers go to:
uk.telecom.voip group.
Regards,
Martin

Old September 22nd 08, 06:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveH

Martin" wrote:

Forget BT, they even charge rental on their VoIP !

No they don't.

www.italiancar.co.uk - Alfa 156 TSpark Sportwagon Veloce Selespeed
Alfa 156 TSpark Lusso - Alfa 75 TSpark Lusso - Ducati 750SS
Old September 22nd 08, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl

Thanks, Martin, I'll have a look there.
Old September 22nd 08, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Martin² wrote:
Forget BT, they even charge rental on their VoIP !

Wrong......

There is plenty of better and cheaper VoIP providers.
You can start with sipgate.co.uk which is rental free, all you pay
is calls to non VoIP users.

With BT you can use the hub phone to make evening UK Geographical calls free
& as already stated there is no rental on the service

They provide free soft phone software.

Don't require any software to run the HB phone

If you want actual handset which can be used without the computer,
then you need some hardware. Have look at what sipgate offers,
though it may not be the best place to buy from.
Perhaps the easiest is Siemens 475IP Dect phone which plugs into
ethernet port of your router \and the landline, then you can make
calls via both VoIP and landline. Not cheap though ~£90.

More expensive than a hub phone which came as part of the package

Or you can get an ATA which connects to your router and then plug
any old phone in to that.

Probably more expensive as well

WiFi VoIP phones are reasonably cheap now.

Not as cheap as using the service which you are already paying for though.

I do supect that someone has a interest in non BTHub VOIP.

To the original poster, try looking at using a seperate WAP which would be
cheaper than some of the above suggestions & seeing as it's seperate you
would have greater flexibility in siting the equipment, in so doing improve
you WIFI coverage. On a level playing I found a remarkable lack of
difference between the coverage of my old Netgear Wifi Router & the Hub,
using a seperate WAP though has improved the situation immensely.

Old September 23rd 08, 08:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Occam

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 01:44:17 +0100, "Carl"
wrote:

Hello all,

Is there any other way of getting the BT internet phone working using
Netgear DG834GT router. I do not want to use the BT Home Hub, but of course
I'd like to be able to make cheap phone calls. The wireless on the BT Home
hub is woeful in comparison to my Netgear stuff, and I haven't a clue where
to begin with this, as far as I am aware, I can only get a skype phone to
work?

I used to use a DG834 then went to BT.
The Home Hub was rubbish, however on the ADSL guide there were people
who had suggested the BT Voyager 2500V.
I got on to BT who sent me a Voyager free, it works fine with their
VOIP and is much more stable and faster than the Home hub,
You can get a Voyager 2500V from Ebay, if BT wont give you one
Old September 23rd 08, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl

Thanks, Occam, how's your razor?

Kraftee, what's WAP? I'm thinking Italians here, but that's wrong! As for
the hub compared to my Netgear stuff, my second desktop had a painfully slow
connection, and the laptop got nowhere. My main PC on ethernet, was fine.
Transfers over my home network were really really slow.
Old September 23rd 08, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Dent

Carl wrote:
what's WAP? I'm thinking Italians here, but that's wrong!

Racist slur! Chinese ghetto music...
Old September 23rd 08, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl

Sorry Chris, or should that be:

POPE CHRISTOPHER??

Chinese ghetto music? The mind, or rather, my tiny one, boggles!
Old September 23rd 08, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Dent

Carl wrote:
POPE CHRISTOPHER??

LOL I applied but they turned me down on the slender grounds I hadn't
been confirmed...

....mind you, am I wrong to detect religious bigotry as well?