Extender question

Old September 24th 08, 10:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
.newman

Default Extender question

I have a Belkin wireless router and an extender. I have set up security
on the router. Do I have to set up security separately on the extender
or will it pick up the settings from the router?

Regards
Old September 24th 08, 12:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:13:11 +0100
".newman" wrote:

I have a Belkin wireless router and an extender. I have set up
security on the router. Do I have to set up security separately on
the extender or will it pick up the settings from the router?

Presumably if the extender could pick up the security settings then so
could any passing hacker ...

Old September 24th 08, 07:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian

".newman" wrote in message
I have a Belkin wireless router and an extender. I have set up security
on the router. Do I have to set up security separately on the extender
or will it pick up the settings from the router?

Regards

If it's using WEP then forget it, anyone can get in and use your connection.
It's useless unless it can use WPA2 to link to the main router.

Old October 1st 08, 04:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Some1

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:13:11 +0100, ".newman" wrote:

I have a Belkin wireless router and an extender. I have set up security
on the router. Do I have to set up security separately on the extender
or will it pick up the settings from the router?

You mean one of these ?

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=255033

I set one up for a customer two days ago. He (and someone else) had tried in
vain to get it to "see" his existing wireless router.

I had to connect to it (via patch lead not Xover) reset it (held reset button in
for 10 sec)

I then setup security setting on the extender, and bingo.

--
The End
Old October 1st 08, 04:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Some1

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:32:35 +0100, Some1 wrote:

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:13:11 +0100, ".newman" wrote:

I have a Belkin wireless router and an extender. I have set up security
on the router. Do I have to set up security separately on the extender
or will it pick up the settings from the router?

You mean one of these ?

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=255033

I set one up for a customer two days ago. He (and someone else) had tried in
vain to get it to "see" his existing wireless router.

I had to connect to it (via patch lead not Xover) reset it (held reset button in
for 10 sec)

I then setup security setting on the extender, and bingo.

Oh, and set the correct wireless channel !

--
The End
Old October 2nd 08, 09:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
.newman

Some1 wrote:

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:32:35 +0100, Some1 wrote:

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:13:11 +0100, ".newman" wrote:

I have a Belkin wireless router and an extender. I have set up security
on the router. Do I have to set up security separately on the extender
or will it pick up the settings from the router?

You mean one of these ?

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=255033

I set one up for a customer two days ago. He (and someone else) had tried in
vain to get it to "see" his existing wireless router.

I had to connect to it (via patch lead not Xover) reset it (held reset button in
for 10 sec)

I then setup security setting on the extender, and bingo.

Oh, and set the correct wireless channel !

--
The End

Thanks

I have managed to set up the extender and all is ok now.

Regards