247% increase by BT!

Old September 24th 08, 06:23 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default 247% increase by BT!

Plusnet have just announced that BT Wholesale are increasing their charge to
cease broadband service on a telephone line. This will not apply to MAC
transfers, but it will apply if a customer moves house. The charge made for
this is being raised from £5.75 to £20 which is an increase of more than
247%. Just how can such an increase be justified? Why have OFCOM allowed
this?

Peter Crosland

Old September 24th 08, 07:35 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Pigeon

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
et...

Plusnet have just announced that BT Wholesale are increasing their charge

cease broadband service on a telephone line. This will not apply to MAC
transfers, but it will apply if a customer moves house. The charge made

for
this is being raised from £5.75 to £20 which is an increase of more than
247%. Just how can such an increase be justified? Why have OFCOM allowed
this?

Not just OFCOM, why are the providers not fighting back?

I suppose the big question is can I cancel early if I so wish without
penalty?

Old September 24th 08, 07:56 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Harold

Pigeon wrote:
"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
et...

Plusnet have just announced that BT Wholesale are increasing their charge

cease broadband service on a telephone line. This will not apply to MAC
transfers, but it will apply if a customer moves house. The charge made

for
this is being raised from £5.75 to £20 which is an increase of more than
247%. Just how can such an increase be justified? Why have OFCOM allowed
this?

Not just OFCOM, why are the providers not fighting back?

What can they do? Threaten to take their business away from BT ?

I suppose the big question is can I cancel early if I so wish without
penalty?

Not sure what you mean here....

--
Harold
PCLinuxOS2007
Old September 24th 08, 10:16 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Max Demian

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
et...
Plusnet have just announced that BT Wholesale are increasing their charge
to cease broadband service on a telephone line. This will not apply to MAC
transfers, but it will apply if a customer moves house. The charge made
for this is being raised from £5.75 to £20 which is an increase of more
than 247%. Just how can such an increase be justified? Why have OFCOM
allowed this?

I don't see any sense in which moving house, while keeping with BT and
PlusNet, is 'ceasing' the service.

If you move house, do you have to pay your bank £20 because you've changed
your address, or all the other companies you correspond with £20 each?

If I change jobs, can I claim dole as I have 'ceased' my last job?

--
Max Demian

Old September 25th 08, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

Paul Cupis wrote:
George Weston wrote:
Hear what you say but the principle still holds that a customer
shouldn't have to pay anything to cease a service after he has paid
all the agreed charges and discharged his minimum term of rental.

Some providers will charge customers to cease a line, some won't. Use
things like this to help you decide who to use as a provider?

They all charge, its either an overt or covert cost. They have to
recover the costs from somewhere and it aint gonna be from shareholders
pockets....
Old September 25th 08, 04:47 AM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
nick

--
Nicholas E J Pike
CLS Ltd
"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
et...
Plusnet have just announced that BT Wholesale are increasing their charge
to cease broadband service on a telephone line. This will not apply to MAC
transfers, but it will apply if a customer moves house. The charge made
for this is being raised from £5.75 to £20 which is an increase of more
than 247%. Just how can such an increase be justified? Why have OFCOM
allowed this?

Peter Crosland

Apparently, all they have to do is type a few keys on a computer to get you
connected when you move house. Twenty quid seems a bit steep, but then it is
BT.

Old September 25th 08, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

In ,
Mark McIntyre typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
:
: Some providers will charge customers to cease a line, some won't.
: Use things like this to help you decide who to use as a provider?
:
: They all charge, its either an overt or covert cost. They have to
: recover the costs from somewhere and it aint gonna be from
: shareholders pockets....

Shouldn't it have been factored in as part of the cost of
installation/rental..?

Ivor

Old September 25th 08, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

: Paul Cupis wrote:
: George Weston wrote:
: Hear what you say but the principle still holds that a customer
: shouldn't have to pay anything to cease a service after he has paid
: all the agreed charges and discharged his minimum term of rental.
:
: Some providers will charge customers to cease a line, some won't.
: Use things like this to help you decide who to use as a provider?
:
: They all charge, its either an overt or covert cost. They have to
: recover the costs from somewhere and it aint gonna be from
: shareholders pockets....

Shouldn't it have been factored in as part of the cost of
installation/rental..?

Ivor

I expect they have, but then thought, lets have another bite of the cherry!

Old September 25th 08, 12:00 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Peter Crosland wrote:
Plusnet have just announced that BT Wholesale are increasing their charge to
cease broadband service on a telephone line. This will not apply to MAC
transfers, but it will apply if a customer moves house. The charge made for
this is being raised from £5.75 to £20 which is an increase of more than
247%. Just how can such an increase be justified? Why have OFCOM allowed
this?

Bit of background from a BT Briefing circulated a month or two ago. It
was originally going to cost more than this!

"BT Wholesale introduced a cease charge for IPstream and Datastream of
£33.75 per line on 1st May 2007 reflecting cease charges on the
Openreach input product. In summer 2007, Openreach temporarily suspended
the charge and then reduced the cease price to £4.90 per line. At the
time, Openreach announced it would follow up with a strategic solution
that would re-use existing jumpers where possible to minimise costs, but
would charge additionally for jumper recovery where required. BT
Wholesale followed these price changes and since 23rd August 2007 the
cease price has been £4.90 per line on IPstream and Datastream.
On 8th September 2008, Openreach is planning to introduce the strategic
“flexi-cease” solution, which will increase overall cease costs above
the temporary £4.90 charge, but under the original £33.75 charge. As a
result BT Wholesale is changing the end user Cease Charge it makes to
its customers, as was indicated as part of the briefing issued 3rd
December 2007 (Briefing 300_07) on January 2008 pricing."

--
+------ PlusNet - ISPA Best Consumer ISP 2008 -------
Old September 25th 08, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 22:33:30 +0100, "George Weston"
wrote:

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message
George Weston wrote:
And more to the point, why did they allow *any* cessation charge at
all?

Because Openreach operate on a cost recovery basis, and they have a cost
to cease SMPF and cease jumpering. They pass this cost on to their
customer (for example BTwholesale) and BTwholesale pass it on to their
customer (e.g. Plusnet).

Regards,

Hear what you say but the principle still holds that a customer shouldn't
have to pay anything to cease a service after he has paid all the agreed
charges and discharged his minimum term of rental.

George

When anyone signs up to anything no matter which way they sign up be
it over the Internet or over the counter most companies that I have
had dealings with have given me the chance to read exactly what I am
signing for and I know from experience BT do this also .
Now if anyone else can't be bothered to read through an agreement
before committing to some expensive contract before reading it
tough .

Agreed entirely.
However, historically, there was no cessation charge. I can verify this,
having worked for BT sales and service from the sixties until 1995.
Therefore, such a charge did not appear on any contract until very recently.
You ceased service, you got a final bill for what you owed and that was it.
This relatively new cessation charge would appear to have sneaked its way
into BT's charging structure very recently, firstly at a very low rate,
probably to "test the water" and see if anyone complained. In all
probability, many if not most ISPs would have absorbed this small charge in
their tariff structures.
However, having "got away with it" for a while, BT have clearly been
emboldened enough to justify hiking this charge up to their supposedly
"economic levels" by the extraordinary amount of 247%. At this level, ISPs
cannot ignore it any longer and will be bound to pass on the cost to their
customers.
Anyhow, what does it take to cease a broadband connection? Throw a switch?
Pull some wires out? Key some information in remotely? I don't know but it
can't be that labour-intensive.
OK, it's not a big issue practically for the vast majority of users, who are
not contemplating moving house or giving up broadband for good.
But for those who are, it's just another nasty cost-penalty that won't do
BT's customer relations any good.

George