turning off house power with a Linksys / Cisco router

Old September 25th 08, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

Default turning off house power with a Linksys / Cisco router

I've had a strange thing with my router recently.

I've been replacing a lot of light fittings in my house and when I do
this I just turn off the mains completely, not just the lighting circuit.

Each time I turned the power back on everything worked perfectly - apart
from my router. For some reason I had to turn it off and on again in
order for it to connect to my ISP.

This went on a few times until finally it wouldn't connect at all. I
went to replace it with my spare and the Linksys plug / power adaptor
was almost too hot to touch and the label had turned brown with the
heat. The whole thing was definitely close to catching fire.

Just a note of caution to anyone doing the same!
Old September 25th 08, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

This went on a few times until finally it wouldn't connect at all. I
went to replace it with my spare and the Linksys plug / power adaptor
was almost too hot to touch and the label had turned brown with the
heat. The whole thing was definitely close to catching fire.

I'd strongly advise taking this up with Linksys as a safety issue.
It might be an isolated failure, or a serious issue affecting
a whole batch. Recent news item where a mobile phone
charger burnt the uninsured house down.
The Chinese (CE marked, Chinese Export) seem to think
we are 220V 60Hz and design their PSU's accordingly,
I've met other hot wall warts, if nothing else they are
hardly green, radiating heat 24/7.
The possible causes are a shorted turn, but this usually
acts as a fuse, too high a magnetising current, or
a faulty router with a deteriorating capacitor drawing
excess current.
Old September 25th 08, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
THE FLY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark
The CE mark is **** all to do with china.

Old September 26th 08, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Borland

In article , THE FLY
writes

"Ato_Zee" wrote
The Chinese (CE marked, Chinese Export).

The CE mark is **** all to do with china.

No, but unfortunately "A to Zee"'s comment is too often all too true.
--
Bill Borland

Old September 28th 08, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BTDTGTTS

"THE FLY" wrote in message

"Ato_Zee" wrote in message

This went on a few times until finally it wouldn't connect at all. I
went to replace it with my spare and the Linksys plug / power adaptor
was almost too hot to touch and the label had turned brown with the
heat. The whole thing was definitely close to catching fire.

I'd strongly advise taking this up with Linksys as a safety issue.
It might be an isolated failure, or a serious issue affecting
a whole batch. Recent news item where a mobile phone
charger burnt the uninsured house down.
The Chinese (CE marked, Chinese Export).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark
The CE mark is **** all to do with china.

1 You missed the sarcasm in the post
2 CE will never *be* anything other than another label for the Chinese
copyists to imitate when flogging dodgy gear
and
3 Conformité Européene unless China moves significantly elsewhare will
always be a better standard than many other countires offerings, and that
includes the ******* over "The Pond"