ADSL MAX Max sync speed with interleaving

Old September 25th 08, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nospam

Default ADSL MAX Max sync speed with interleaving

Having connected at 8128 for the last 18 months something went tits up
yesterday. Didn't see what happened but now I'm synced at 7296 and the
exchange has turned on interleaving and looks like it upped the SNR margin
to 9db.

I am getting about 1 corrected block per minute so there isn't much wrong
with the connection (although it might be a bit worse than 2 days ago).

I seem to remember reading interleaving restricts the maximum effective
sync rate. Can someone tell me what the maximum ADSL Max sync rate is with
interleaving on?

Old September 25th 08, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

nospam wrote:
Having connected at 8128 for the last 18 months something went tits up
yesterday. Didn't see what happened but now I'm synced at 7296 and the
exchange has turned on interleaving and looks like it upped the SNR margin
to 9db.

I am getting about 1 corrected block per minute so there isn't much wrong
with the connection (although it might be a bit worse than 2 days ago).

I seem to remember reading interleaving restricts the maximum effective
sync rate. Can someone tell me what the maximum ADSL Max sync rate is with
interleaving on?

I don't believe it affects synch rate - certainly not much - but it does
affect latency.

Anyway contact your ISP and get it all reset: obviously you have had a
period of bad noise on the line
Old September 26th 08, 08:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
nospam wrote:
Having connected at 8128 for the last 18 months something went tits
up yesterday. Didn't see what happened but now I'm synced at 7296
and the exchange has turned on interleaving and looks like it upped
the SNR margin to 9db.

I am getting about 1 corrected block per minute so there isn't much
wrong with the connection (although it might be a bit worse than 2
days ago). I seem to remember reading interleaving restricts the maximum
effective sync rate. Can someone tell me what the maximum ADSL Max
sync rate is with interleaving on?

I don't believe it affects synch rate - certainly not much - but it
does affect latency.

Anyway contact your ISP and get it all reset: obviously you have had a
period of bad noise on the line

Fastest speed without interleaving is 8128
Fastest speed with interleaving is 7616

Turning interleaving off again is something your ISP can request be done.
Changing the SNR back to 6db you may not have so much luck with. BT have
been rejecting requests to drop the SNR for a while now but you might be
lucky if your ISP is good. By the majority of accounts once it goes up it
rarely comes back down despite what BT say. The idea is that after 14 days
with interleaving off and a stable connection with no drops the SNR should
reduce.

You don't say who you are with or what router you have. If you're using
something the DMT tool is happy with you may be able to force your SNR back
down manually but this will defeat anything the BT systems do and it will
never return to 6db all on its own.

Good luck!

--

WCZ

Old September 26th 08, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

You don't say who you are with or what router you have. If you're using
something the DMT tool is happy with you may be able to force your SNR
back
down manually but this will defeat anything the BT systems do and it will
never return to 6db all on its own.

DMT toool works fine for me, did have to lean on modem mfr to get
firmware version that supports DMT tool.
Zen customer portal reports BRAS profile has jumped from
ADSL1500 to ADSL3000 and is stable.
Very useful features of DMT tool are hover over icon that
gives down and up speeds with current SNR, and ability
to visually graph SNR over time.
Caution - use the target SNR slider with caution, it
forces a reset, so if you use it several times in the
course of a few minutes DSLAM sees the line as unstable and
dramatically reduces your sync speed. Use it once
set for around 50% on the slider, bingo, vast
and stable improvement in line speed.
After two or 3 days you get figures for errors, with
the line running stable, todays and previous periods
show zero or very low error count, it is also a fine
monitoring tool, a few rough edges,
but I can live with that.
Old September 26th 08, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nospam

nospam wrote:
I am getting about 1 corrected block per minute so there isn't much
wrong with the connection (although it might be a bit worse than 2
days ago). I seem to remember reading interleaving restricts the maximum
effective sync rate. Can someone tell me what the maximum ADSL Max
sync rate is with interleaving on?

I don't believe it affects synch rate - certainly not much - but it
does affect latency.

Fastest speed without interleaving is 8128
Fastest speed with interleaving is 7616

Turning interleaving off again is something your ISP can request be done.

I found the 7616 figure again myself. I bought a Netgear DG834 today to
make sure it wasn't the Vigor 2800 I have. I expected the Netgear ADSL
performance to be better than the Vigor and it is but it is reporting 8128
sync with interleaving on so it appears to 'include' the error correcting
bits in the reported sync rate and I don't know if the Vigor did or didn't
so I'm not really any wiser.

I already asked for interleaving to be turned off but If my line got
noisier than it was a few days ago I might regret it.

You don't say who you are with or what router you have.

I can tweak the SNR target on the netgear so I can overcome the increased
target if need be.
Old September 27th 08, 01:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

nospam wrote:

Having connected at 8128 for the last 18 months something went tits up
yesterday. Didn't see what happened but now I'm synced at 7296 and the
exchange has turned on interleaving and looks like it upped the SNR margin
to 9db.

I am getting about 1 corrected block per minute so there isn't much wrong
with the connection (although it might be a bit worse than 2 days ago).

I seem to remember reading interleaving restricts the maximum effective
sync rate. Can someone tell me what the maximum ADSL Max sync rate is with
interleaving on?

8128 kbps regardless, but FAST latency is always better under good line
conditions.

Graham