Sky Broadband (Base) Terms

Old September 25th 08, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael

Default Sky Broadband (Base) Terms

Received some useful advise here regarding Broadband but before I proceed
further can someone help me with the following regarding Sky Base ?

1/ Does Sky fix a limit on the amount of data downloaded per month ?

2/ If at some future date I wanted to give up my Sky TV would the Broadband
also stop or would I be able to continue with it at a nominal monthly cost ?

3/ My family has three computers two of which have ethernet ports and
wireless capability.The other is an old PII running Windows 98 and not
suitable for Sky Broadband. When Broadband is installed on the other
machines can dial up still be used on the same phoneline as at present in an
emergency for this Windows 98 machine ?

Thanks,

Michael.

Old September 25th 08, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Michael [email protected] address.com wrote:
: 1/ Does Sky fix a limit on the amount of data downloaded per month ?

I thought they had just abolished this! It used to be something quite large
(like 20Gb)

: 2/ If at some future date I wanted to give up my Sky TV would the Broadband
: also stop or would I be able to continue with it at a nominal monthly cost ?

No - it stops!

: 3/ My family has three computers two of which have ethernet ports and
: wireless capability.The other is an old PII running Windows 98 and not
: suitable for Sky Broadband. When Broadband is installed on the other
: machines can dial up still be used on the same phoneline as at present in an
: emergency for this Windows 98 machine ?

Nothing to stop you adding an Ethernet card (at trivial cost) to the Windows
98 system....but, yes, dial up will continue to work on the same
phone line. Some wireless USB adapters may still come with W98 drivers as
well.

Old September 26th 08, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl Waring

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Michael [email protected] address.com wrote:
1/ Does Sky fix a limit on the amount of data downloaded per month ?

I thought they had just abolished this! It used to be something quite
large (like 20Gb)

No. Only on the MAX product apparently. 20GB? I can download more than that
on VM, even with STM!

--
Carl Waring
DigiGuide:

Old September 26th 08, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Carl Waring wrote:
: No. Only on the MAX product apparently. 20GB? I can download more than that
: on VM, even with STM!

It's actually only 2GB on further inspection (at a connection speed of 2Mb).

So how much does your *FREE* Broadband from VM allow you to download?????
Old September 26th 08, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl Waring

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Carl Waring wrote:
No. Only on the MAX product apparently. 20GB? I can download more
than that on VM, even with STM!

It's actually only 2GB on further inspection (at a connection speed
of 2Mb).

So how much does your *FREE* Broadband from VM allow you to
download?????

I don't get free broadband, I have to pay for it like everyone else. I used
to have some figures available that showed exactly how much could be
download through VM but I can't find them any more. However, I'm damned-sure
it was more than 2GB, even with STM.

Old September 26th 08, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Carl Waring wrote:

: I don't get free broadband, I have to pay for it like everyone else.i

It's precisely the point! I don't see how you can poossibly criticise
*ANY* aspect of Sky's "free = "no extra subscription" extry-level Broadband
unless you can suggest an equivalent service on VM!

It just makes you look stupid!
Old September 26th 08, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl Waring

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Carl Waring wrote:

I don't get free broadband, I have to pay for it like everyone else.i

It's precisely the point! I don't see how you can poossibly criticise
*ANY* aspect of Sky's "free = "no extra subscription" extry-level
Broadband unless you can suggest an equivalent service on VM!

It just makes you look stupid!

Firstly, where exactly did I criticise Sky's service?

I was simply pointing out that, on the VM equivalent connection speed of 2MB
I could easily download more than the maximum allowed download amount of 2GB
(Your figures, btw. Also, I assume that's per month? You never actually
stated a time period.) that you get with Sky's service of the same speed.

Incidently, the standard (no discount) price of VM's 2MB service is 17. The
equivalent price of Sky's "free" 2MB service is 28. (1 mix @ 17 + LR @
11).

So, you can download much more than 2GB a month for 11 less.

Which service sounds better now then?

Old September 26th 08, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl Waring

Carl Waring wrote:
I was simply pointing out that, on the VM equivalent connection speed
of 2MB I could easily download more than the maximum allowed download
amount of 2GB

I have now found (or, more accurately, been sent by the original author) the
figures I was looking for and can now state correctly that, even with STM,
one can download just a smidge under 20GB a day on VM's 2MB connection.

According to your figures that's *ten times* the monthly (again, I assume
you meant monthly) amount than the equivalent Sky service.