OT Faxing from PC

Old September 27th 08, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invisible Man

Default OT Faxing from PC

Hello

I have an adsl connection.
I want to send a very occasional fax. Anyone know of a free way to do
it. It will probably only be a couple of times a year. No need for an
incoming facility.

TIA
Old September 27th 08, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Invisible Man wrote:
Hello

I have an adsl connection.
I want to send a very occasional fax. Anyone know of a free way to do
it. It will probably only be a couple of times a year. No need for an
incoming facility.

TIA

WinFax and a modem springs to mind.

You can mix a modem and ADSL easily. Modem is on baseband.

Any online fax send service will cost you money.
Old September 27th 08, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Invisible Man wrote:
Hello

I have an adsl connection.
I want to send a very occasional fax. Anyone know of a free way to do
it. It will probably only be a couple of times a year. No need for an
incoming facility.

Free ???
but if you are only sending 1 or 2 a year then paying 10p or 50p per fax
shouldn't be an issue surely?

You could always hook up one of them oldentimes fax-modems used for
dail-up internet then use an aplication like.... um, winfax (as it was
in my day) I'm sure there are plenty of free programs that do the same.

Just connect your faxmodem through a regular adsl telephone filter lake
any other phone.

or... set up VOIP then you can use T.38 fax protocol thingy which works
well or...

http://www.voipfone.co.uk/fax.php
For simplicity I'd personally go for a regular fax/modem and pay the BT
call charge.

Remember, a regular modem and/or fax communicates by audio tones so as
long as it's going through a telephone filter into your ADSL line it
will work just as well as a non-adsl line.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamode-M56.../dp/B000RFUNNC
Just one solution that I've found.
Shouldn't wonder if you don't already have a PC with a built in
fax/dialup modem card already installed. They were the norm up untill
very recently.

HTH
Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Old September 27th 08, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pigeon

"Invisible Man" wrote in message
Hello

I have an adsl connection.
I want to send a very occasional fax. Anyone know of a free way to do
it. It will probably only be a couple of times a year. No need for an
incoming facility.

If it's just text you wanna send try http://www.tpc.int

HTH.

Old September 27th 08, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

or... set up VOIP then you can use T.38 fax protocol thingy which works
well or...

Who do you know (in the UK) who terminates T.38 faxes?

Gordon
Old September 27th 08, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Invisible Man" wrote in message
Hello

I have an adsl connection.
I want to send a very occasional fax. Anyone know of a free way to do it.
It will probably only be a couple of times a year. No need for an incoming
facility.

TIA

Fax modem.

Do you perhaps already have an all in one?

Old September 27th 08, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Gordon Henderson wrote:

or... set up VOIP then you can use T.38 fax protocol thingy which works
well or...

Who do you know (in the UK) who terminates T.38 faxes?

Hmmm... now you have me wondering...
I have regularly sent faxes from home over T.38 (via one of the VOIP
ports on my Draytek router set to T.38 enabled) to the shop G3 mode fax
machine..... but am now wondering whether I sent them to my regular POTS
"olden times" fax machine or to my voipfone fax number...

I'll go home tonight and try sending to the regular BT landline fax.

I'm 99% sure when I set it up originally I sent a number of faxes
through and they came out just fine on the "ordinairy" fax machine.

I'll re-post next week on my findings.
:)

Old September 27th 08, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

or... set up VOIP then you can use T.38 fax protocol thingy which works
well or...

Who do you know (in the UK) who terminates T.38 faxes?

Hmmm... now you have me wondering...
I have regularly sent faxes from home over T.38 (via one of the VOIP
ports on my Draytek router set to T.38 enabled) to the shop G3 mode fax
machine..... but am now wondering whether I sent them to my regular POTS
"olden times" fax machine or to my voipfone fax number...

I'll go home tonight and try sending to the regular BT landline fax.

I'm 99% sure when I set it up originally I sent a number of faxes
through and they came out just fine on the "ordinairy" fax machine.

They probably went via regular VoIP... You can "get away" with it when
you have a good connection and use G711 codec, however it really does
rely on a stable connection to keep the analogue "modem" signals usable.

Gordon
Old September 27th 08, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Gordon Henderson wrote:

They probably went via regular VoIP... You can "get away" with it when
you have a good connection and use G711 codec, however it really does
rely on a stable connection to keep the analogue "modem" signals usable.

So what you are saying then Gordon is if the VOIP T.38 didn't detect a
T.38 gateway it would have just gone with the next best protocol i.e.
regular VOIP codec?

I just presumed that if I enabled T.38 then T.38 it would be, but what
you say makes sense.

I did read somewhere on some BT .pdf this morning that T.38 would be
supported from early 2008. Presumable with the conversion to 21CN IP
exchanges or whatever the technology is then the likelyhood of T.38
being a viable method of Fax. may be more likely that exchanges will act
as gateways? or am I bumbling around in my own world of confusion?
:)

Confused.
Pete
Old September 27th 08, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

They probably went via regular VoIP... You can "get away" with it when
you have a good connection and use G711 codec, however it really does
rely on a stable connection to keep the analogue "modem" signals usable.

So what you are saying then Gordon is if the VOIP T.38 didn't detect a
T.38 gateway it would have just gone with the next best protocol i.e.
regular VOIP codec?

I's not an area I've spent much time with, but I'm assuming that's the
case.

I just presumed that if I enabled T.38 then T.38 it would be, but what
you say makes sense.

Mayby

I did read somewhere on some BT .pdf this morning that T.38 would be
supported from early 2008. Presumable with the conversion to 21CN IP
exchanges or whatever the technology is then the likelyhood of T.38
being a viable method of Fax. may be more likely that exchanges will act
as gateways? or am I bumbling around in my own world of confusion?
:)

Personally, I think it's an old technology that was a good stop-gap
while it lasted, but really ought to be consigned to the electronic bin
now.

We have email and digitial signatures - better than FAXes IMO.

Need to get more people using it though!

Gordon