Help choosing BB/Phone package

Old September 27th 08, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
smithie

Default Help choosing BB/Phone package

As per the title - I'd appreciate some input about choosing a decent
BB/Phone deal - preferably with a UK based billing centre!

BT seem to have finally hit rock bottom, their Indian billing call centre is
a nightmare, and the UK based operation is only marginally better.

So, I want to leave them.

I need BB (max speed I can get is about 3 Mb) and an all-in-one call package
offering unlimited UK calls to geographic numbers. Low mobile call rates
would be a bonus.

I waited 19 minutes to speak to Sky Talk - only to be told by their Indian
call centre that I had to also buy Sky TV.

Don't want Sky TV - so the hunt goes on.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Old September 27th 08, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

smithie wrote:

As per the title - I'd appreciate some input about choosing a decent
BB/Phone deal - preferably with a UK based billing centre!

BT seem to have finally hit rock bottom, their Indian billing call centre is
a nightmare, and the UK based operation is only marginally better.

So, I want to leave them.

I need BB (max speed I can get is about 3 Mb) and an all-in-one call package
offering unlimited UK calls to geographic numbers. Low mobile call rates
would be a bonus.

All-in-one packages are usually a bad choice. Tiscali's cheap bur fairly crappy
and their support people LIE to you. It took my neighbour TWO MONTHS to get it
working without regular losses in phone and ADSL and even then it was only 2
Mbps. Finally after getting over that hurdle got them to speed it up to 6Mbps,
so they were mis-selling to begin with. On my line next door I can get 1 Mbps
more btw, so I half suspect they're still throttling it.

Graham

Old September 27th 08, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Chris Davies

smithie wrote:
As per the title - I'd appreciate some input about choosing a decent
BB/Phone deal - preferably with a UK based billing centre!

Please don't multipost. Crossposting if you need to, by all means, though.

Why? It leads to separate discussions where you find some people start
independently repeating what others have said, and you may even find
you get *fewer* responses because people find your posting in several
places and get annoyed.

Thanks
Chris
Old September 27th 08, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
smithie

"Chris Davies" wrote in message
smithie wrote:
As per the title - I'd appreciate some input about choosing a decent
BB/Phone deal - preferably with a UK based billing centre!

Please don't multipost. Crossposting if you need to, by all means,
though.

---

Ah - there is obviously something wrong with my keyboard.

I *thought* that I was asking for some help in choosing a BB/Phone package -
what I *actually* appear to have requested is a lecture on Usenet etiquette
from a passing control freak.

My bad - and thank you for fulfilling my request - even if it was an error
on my part.

Old September 27th 08, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
smithie

"Eeyore" wrote in message

smithie wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the advice (and thanks even more for resisting the urge to
lecture me

It does seem hard to get a package that give, both, a good phone service
*and* a good BB service.

I'd considered Orange - until I read opinions on the BB service.

Virgin I won't have because of Phorm - Tiscali I have heard bad things about
for a long time, where *to* place my money?, that's the problem.

Old September 27th 08, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Retired

"smithie" wrote in message
As per the title - I'd appreciate some input about choosing a decent
BB/Phone deal - preferably with a UK based billing centre!

BT seem to have finally hit rock bottom, their Indian billing call centre
is
a nightmare, and the UK based operation is only marginally better.

So, I want to leave them.

I need BB (max speed I can get is about 3 Mb) and an all-in-one call
package
offering unlimited UK calls to geographic numbers. Low mobile call rates
would be a bonus.

I waited 19 minutes to speak to Sky Talk - only to be told by their Indian
call centre that I had to also buy Sky TV.

Don't want Sky TV - so the hunt goes on.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

I'm with PlusNet.
They seem as satisfactory as any and they have a UK call centre
They do a combined package but I only have experience of their broadband
But! They are a wholly owned subsidiary of BT although at present they seem
to be independent.

B.
Old September 27th 08, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
smithie

"Retired" wrote in message
et...

"smithie" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks - does the BT connection (no pun) mean that PlusNet implement Phorm?

Old September 27th 08, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 27/09/2008 22:00, smithie wrote:

does the BT connection (no pun) mean that PlusNet implement Phorm?

From http://phormwatch.blogspot.com/

'Neil Armstrong, Products Director of PlusNet sent me an email
with an official company statement: "We have not trialled Phorm
and have no plans to do so."'

They'll lose this satisfied customer if they ever change their tune.
Old September 27th 08, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

Eeyore wrote:

It took my neighbour TWO MONTHS to get it
working without regular losses in phone and ADSL and even then it was only 2
Mbps.

To be fair to the support people, the problem was most likely the line
going to your neighbour's house and/or his in-house wiring. Its a bit
gratuitous to blame Tiscali for that (not that I'd touch them with a
bargepole myself but...).

more btw, so I half suspect they're still throttling it.

Golly, you do like conspiracy theories, don't you?
Old September 27th 08, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Mark McIntyre

smithie wrote:

I *thought* that I was asking for some help in choosing a BB/Phone package -
what I *actually* appear to have requested is a lecture on Usenet etiquette
from a passing control freak.

Its a free world - if you screw up your postings, expect to get it
pointed out to you. By the way unlike yourself Chris was very polite.

My bad - and thank you for fulfilling my request - even if it was an error
on my part.

You could always shout down a well if you need the exercise?