Broadband Potential

Old September 28th 08, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

Default Broadband Potential

In article ,
Movilla wrote:
I live near Watford and broadband tests tell me I'm hovering around
3.5-4MBps download speeds. Is there a website that tells me (as per
postcode) what my maximum download potential speed is. I'm on Plusnet and
their website only offers download allowances, not rates.

If you're already on broadband with plusnet, then look at yourrouter
stats. That'll tell you the sync rate which will be the maximum
practical rate you can get. You can sometimes improve things by updating
your own wiring, filters, etc. though. but looking at your current sync
rates (and SNR, SN Margins, attenuation figures, etc.) will be your best
bet.

(And if they say 7Mb and you're still only getting 3.5Mb then it's most
likely your ISP that's slowing you down, but there are other factors)

Gordon