Hum on phone line

Old September 28th 08, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

Default Hum on phone line

I'm getting Broadband connected on the 30th but there's a bit of what
I'm guessing is electrical hum on the line.

The worst of it is coming from the router and is obviously being
picked up by the phone handset (it get's louder when I move towards
it) and when I switch that off it makes a big difference but there's
still some hum there.

I've tried switching off every circuit on my switchboard but that
doesn't make any difference, nor did plugging the phone into the test
socket.

I guess it's possible it's the phone itself which is generating the
noise. Is it normal to hear a small amount of hum?

Will the noise from the router being picked up by the phone affect my
broadband, or will the ADSL filter stop that?

Doughboy
Old September 28th 08, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I'm getting Broadband connected on the 30th but there's a bit of what
I'm guessing is electrical hum on the line.

The worst of it is coming from the router and is obviously being
picked up by the phone handset (it get's louder when I move towards
it) and when I switch that off it makes a big difference but there's
still some hum there.

I've tried switching off every circuit on my switchboard but that
doesn't make any difference, nor did plugging the phone into the test
socket.

I guess it's possible it's the phone itself which is generating the
noise. Is it normal to hear a small amount of hum?

Will the noise from the router being picked up by the phone affect my
broadband, or will the ADSL filter stop that?

It is probably the router PSU so you might try changing that.

Peter Crosland

Old September 28th 08, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

I guess it's possible it's the phone itself which is generating the
noise. Is it normal to hear a small amount of hum?

Will the noise from the router being picked up by the phone affect my
broadband, or will the ADSL filter stop that?

Ther are different sorts of mains hum. The low pitched 50Hz sine
wave that you get on low level, such as microphne leads, and audio
connections, or the higher pitched harmonic hums from mostly
switch mode PSU's, or things like faulty fluorescent fittings.

Is your phone mains connected with a plug in PSU?
Such as answer phones, DECT phones, etc?
A simple one lead table phone with BT plug is
the criterion, it won't produce noise, and dial
a single digit should give you a silent background,
does it? If not the noise may be coming from
outside your premises.
Low pitched induced 50Hz hum shouldn't affect ADSL as
the frequencies are above audio.
If, as I have met, you have a drop wire, and it is
resting on top of a high pressure street lighting
dischrage lamp, having slid to rest against the
ambient light sensor on top, then a situation like
this could cause ADSL problems. The street
lamp had just been replaced with a higher one
which was supporting the drop wire.
Old September 28th 08, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Doughboy wrote:

I'm getting Broadband connected on the 30th but there's a bit of what
I'm guessing is electrical hum on the line.

On what line. On the master socjet ?

The worst of it is coming from the router

How do you know. By what method did you establish that ? You already have
an ADSL router then ?

Or do you mean the router's power supply (usually plugs into a 13A
socket).

And when you say 'coming from' do you mean if you put the nadset close to
it ?

You are being terribly vague.

and is obviously being
picked up by the phone handset (it get's louder when I move towards
it)

It meaning .....?

and when I switch that off it makes a big difference but there's
still some hum there.

I've tried switching off every circuit on my switchboard

Where did a switchboard suddenlt come into the equation. Why not mention
exactly what's connected to what first ?

but that doesn't make any difference, nor did plugging the phone into
the test
socket.

You mean the phone hums when plugged into the test socket even with the
router turned off (and power supply turned off)?

Then you have a line fault.

I guess it's possible it's the phone itself which is generating the
noise.

No it isn't unless it's a mains powered phone in which case it is
possible.

Is it normal to hear a small amount of hum?

NO.

Will the noise from the router being picked up by the phone affect my
broadband, or will the ADSL filter stop that?

Not a clue since you're not really explaining yourself very well, but in
practice I'll bet it doesn't unless it's symptomatic of some other
fundamental fault.

Graham

Old September 28th 08, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:43:16 GMT, "Ato_Zee"
wrote:

[...]

Listening again, it does remind me of the sort of hum you get with
audio leads (when they're not properly grounded if I recall
correctly).

I've just got a wired phone with a single (curly) lead.

Good point about low pitched noise shouldn't affect ADSL. I've just
been reading about how the bandwidth is split between voice and ADSL.

I'll check outside to see whether I've got a drop wire or not.

Doughboy
Old September 28th 08, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:44:21 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Doughboy wrote:

I'm getting Broadband connected on the 30th but there's a bit of what
I'm guessing is electrical hum on the line.

On what line. On the master socjet ?

Yes

The worst of it is coming from the router

How do you know. By what method did you establish that ? You already have
an ADSL router then ?

Er, obviously.

Or do you mean the router's power supply (usually plugs into a 13A
socket).

Well it's present when the PSU is powered and gets worse when the PSU
is connected to the router.

And when you say 'coming from' do you mean if you put the nadset close to
it ?

You are being terribly vague.

I don't think I am. By coming from, I mean the noise is most
noticeable when the router and it's PSU are powered up, and moving the
handset closer to them increases the noise.

and is obviously being
picked up by the phone handset (it get's louder when I move towards
it)

It meaning .....?

I'm not sure what your problem is, but above you asked me whether
'coming from' means if I put the handset close to the router, and then
you ask me to explain what I meant when I said the noise gets louder
when I move the handset towards the router.

and when I switch that off it makes a big difference but there's
still some hum there.

I've tried switching off every circuit on my switchboard

Where did a switchboard suddenlt come into the equation. Why not mention
exactly what's connected to what first ?

I mean the switches that are control my flat's power circuits. I guess
I should have said switchbox but my post was about mains hum, so I
thought it was fairly obvious what I meant.

I clearly stated that the noise was still present when plugging my
phone into the test socket, so I fail to see how you got confused
about what was connected.

but that doesn't make any difference, nor did plugging the phone into
the test
socket.

You mean the phone hums when plugged into the test socket even with the
router turned off (and power supply turned off)?

That's what I said.

Then you have a line fault.

OK.

I guess it's possible it's the phone itself which is generating the
noise.

No it isn't unless it's a mains powered phone in which case it is
possible.

No, it's not a mains powered phone.

Old September 28th 08, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 15:18:40 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

I'm getting Broadband connected on the 30th but there's a bit of what
I'm guessing is electrical hum on the line.

The worst of it is coming from the router and is obviously being
picked up by the phone handset (it get's louder when I move towards
it) and when I switch that off it makes a big difference but there's
still some hum there.

I've tried switching off every circuit on my switchboard but that
doesn't make any difference, nor did plugging the phone into the test
socket.

I guess it's possible it's the phone itself which is generating the
noise. Is it normal to hear a small amount of hum?

Will the noise from the router being picked up by the phone affect my
broadband, or will the ADSL filter stop that?

It is probably the router PSU so you might try changing that.

Peter Crosland

Yes, the PSU does seem to be the main culprit, although the router is
radiating/amplifying the noise when the PSU is plugged into it.

Even so, the residual hum on the line when my entire flat is powered
down does seem to suggest a line fault. I only had the line installed
a month ago, but as the wiring was already in place from years ago,
all the engineer had to do in my flat was check the box and move it
slightly for me.

Doughboy
Old September 28th 08, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

It could well be. This would be a good place to improve your knowledge.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

Peter Crosland

Old September 28th 08, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

wrote:

[...]

Actually, I've just remembered that the lines come in from the garage
below my block of flats, as I was down there years ago with a BT
engineer and I recall the tatty looking junction boxes screwed onto
the beams.

I suppose there might still be a drop wire going to the garage though.

Doughboy
Old September 28th 08, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doughboy

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:34:32 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but I haven't got any extensions.

Doughboy