A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Web Hosting



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 28th 08, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,222
Default Web Hosting



Jeff Gaines wrote:

I could do with some suggestions on web hosting, if this is not an
appropriate place to ask please move me on!

I want to host a site that will have lots(hundreds, perhaps eventually a
few thousand) pictures - jpeg format 300x300 pixels. They will be good
quality and need to display as such. It could be updated several times a
day 6/7 days a week.

My own site is with Heart Internet and I have noticed recently they are
beginning to creak a bit and suffer from breakdowns/down-time,


Loss of service you mean ?


I know I can't get 100% but I need as near as possible.

Any thoughts? I can' say money is *no* object but it is secondary to
reliability and speed.


How much do you pay now ? My brother in law does hosting if you want a
quote. He's also looking at a limited back-up server to maintain vital
aspects like email and a basic web presence should the main server go down
(as they do from time to time).

Graham

  #2  
Old September 28th 08, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 797
Default Web Hosting

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:


Jeff Gaines wrote:

I could do with some suggestions on web hosting, if this is not an
appropriate place to ask please move me on!

I want to host a site that will have lots(hundreds, perhaps eventually a
few thousand) pictures - jpeg format 300x300 pixels. They will be good
quality and need to display as such. It could be updated several times a
day 6/7 days a week.

My own site is with Heart Internet and I have noticed recently they are
beginning to creak a bit and suffer from breakdowns/down-time,


Loss of service you mean ?


I know I can't get 100% but I need as near as possible.

Any thoughts? I can' say money is *no* object but it is secondary to
reliability and speed.


How much do you pay now ? My brother in law does hosting if you want a
quote. He's also looking at a limited back-up server to maintain vital
aspects like email and a basic web presence should the main server go down
(as they do from time to time).


One of my servers:

18:51:06 up 1075 days, 4:53, 1 user, load average: 0.16, 0.03, 0.01

Just 20 days until its 3-year birthday

Gordon
  #3  
Old September 28th 08, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 73
Default Web Hosting

On 28/09/2008 18:50, Gordon Henderson wrote:

One of my servers:

18:51:06 up 1075 days, 4:53, 1 user, load average: 0.16, 0.03, 0.01

Just 20 days until its 3-year birthday


Are you going to let it have lots of patches as a present?

  #4  
Old September 28th 08, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 797
Default Web Hosting

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
On 28/09/2008 18:50, Gordon Henderson wrote:

One of my servers:

18:51:06 up 1075 days, 4:53, 1 user, load average: 0.16, 0.03, 0.01

Just 20 days until its 3-year birthday


Are you going to let it have lots of patches as a present?


Why wait until then?

# apt-get update
... etc ... including
Hit http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main Packages
...
Fetched 346B in 2s (154B/s)
Reading Package Lists... Done
# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

It's fine. It's running a few fairly specific applications and low-volume
websites, it's firewalled and not really that general-purpose, but other
than that, it's sitting conencted to the Internet at large and humming
quietely to itself.

Debian Sarge is still being maintained, so I'm happy. I do still have
a server on Debian Woody which had over 3 years uptime until just a few
weeks ago when the motherboard Ethernet failed for no apparent reason )-:
However it's not exactly doing anything critical these days.

Gordon
  #5  
Old September 28th 08, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 73
Default Web Hosting

On 28/09/2008 19:43, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Why wait until then?

# apt-get update
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.


I only run one Debian box, had to upgrade to Etch to use a newer version
of iptables, it has been very hassle free, but still surprised Sarge
hasn't needed any kernel update in 3 years.

  #6  
Old September 28th 08, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 797
Default Web Hosting

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
On 28/09/2008 19:43, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Why wait until then?

# apt-get update
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.


I only run one Debian box, had to upgrade to Etch to use a newer version
of iptables, it has been very hassle free, but still surprised Sarge
hasn't needed any kernel update in 3 years.


It's not the default sarge kernel, but one I deemed stable enough at the
time to compile for the hardware. (Dell) Who can actually login and get
a shell is half the battle and that's very tightly controlled here.

Gordon
  #7  
Old September 28th 08, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 802
Default Debian 3.1 ('sarge') security support (was: Web Hosting)

Gordon Henderson wrote:
Debian Sarge is still being maintained, so I'm happy.


Not by the Debian Project:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2008/msg00001.html

  #8  
Old September 29th 08, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 797
Default Debian 3.1 ('sarge') security support (was: Web Hosting)

In article ,
Paul Cupis wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
Debian Sarge is still being maintained, so I'm happy.


Not by the Debian Project:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2008/msg00001.html


Hm. Must have missed that one. Oh well, c'est la vie.

The servers still not broke, so I'm still not going to fix it, if that's
what your point is.

Gordon
  #9  
Old September 29th 08, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,000
Default Debian 3.1 ('sarge') security support

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Paul Cupis wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
Debian Sarge is still being maintained, so I'm happy.

Not by the Debian Project:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2008/msg00001.html


Hm. Must have missed that one. Oh well, c'est la vie.

The servers still not broke, so I'm still not going to fix it, if that's
what your point is.

Gordon

Indeed. Dont. However in a fit of madness to get my dev machine running
what the real machine was I upgraded to etch..I have to say it just
....worked!


  #10  
Old September 29th 08, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 797
Default Debian 3.1 ('sarge') security support

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Paul Cupis wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
Debian Sarge is still being maintained, so I'm happy.
Not by the Debian Project:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2008/msg00001.html


Hm. Must have missed that one. Oh well, c'est la vie.

The servers still not broke, so I'm still not going to fix it, if that's
what your point is.

Gordon

Indeed. Dont. However in a fit of madness to get my dev machine running
what the real machine was I upgraded to etch..I have to say it just
...worked!


I've remotely upgraded several server to Etch and in-general, they did
just work! I could probably do the same for this, probably even without a
reboot as the kernels OK, (and it doesn't run X or anything like that),
but the chances of it still being turned on in a few months are slim -
my client's "re-structuring", so who knows what'll happen with it...

Gordon
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WEB HOSTING - Free and Reliable Web Hosting cyber uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 July 29th 08 03:59 PM
WEB HOSTING - Free and Reliable Web Hosting [email protected] uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 March 9th 08 05:44 AM
AT&T Announces Hosting Agreement with SAP America; Named a PreferredSAP Hosting Provider [email protected] uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 February 19th 08 10:31 AM
web hosting Fox uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 April 19th 04 11:06 AM
Webhosting options/broadband for hosting a website/hosting fro servlets and sql server Simon Harvey uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 July 12th 03 04:21 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.