Faceplate filtering and external NTE5

Old September 29th 08, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Buzzard

Default Faceplate filtering and external NTE5

How does this work, or does the external NTE5 have a filter?

I have just purchased an older property that does not have an NTE5. In
fact the drop wire from the telegraph pole comes in through a window has
an old style GPO box and then various bits of wire running over the wall
paper and round skirting to a number of hardwired outlets.

My plan was to phone BT up and ask for an NTE5 to be fitted, and at a more
suitable location than the current entry point, with the expectation that
I will have to fork over some money.

However after doing some reading on the internet it would appear that there
is now some newfangled external NTE5, and it is unclear as to how one goes
about doing the equivalent of faceplate filtering on these. Or are these
only for new builds at the moment.

Also it is entirely unclear as to how long the cable run can be from where
it enters the property to where the NTE5 is located, and what if any
restrictions or guidelines there are. At the moment the cable from the
telegraph pole to the house runs through a tree (which was obviously not
there when cable was installed).

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jonathan (at) buzzard.me.uk
Fife, United Kingdom.
Old September 29th 08, 08:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

How does this work, or does the external NTE5 have a filter?

I have just purchased an older property that does not have an NTE5. In
fact the drop wire from the telegraph pole comes in through a window has
an old style GPO box and then various bits of wire running over the wall
paper and round skirting to a number of hardwired outlets.

My plan was to phone BT up and ask for an NTE5 to be fitted, and at a more
suitable location than the current entry point, with the expectation that
I will have to fork over some money.

However after doing some reading on the internet it would appear that there
is now some newfangled external NTE5,

What exactly do you mean by 'external'. To be fitted on the outside of your
home ?

I suggest you read better.

Graham

Old September 29th 08, 08:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

On 29/09/2008 08:12, Eeyore wrote:

Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

after doing some reading on the internet it would appear that there
is now some newfangled external NTE5,

What exactly do you mean by 'external'. To be fitted on the outside of your
home? I suggest you read better.

I suggest you read more ;-)

http://www.sinet.bt.com/STIN470v1p0.pdf
Old September 29th 08, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

after doing some reading on the internet it would appear that there
is now some newfangled external NTE5,

What exactly do you mean by 'external'. To be fitted on the outside
of your home? I suggest you read better.

I suggest you read more ;-)

http://www.sinet.bt.com/STIN470v1p0.pdf

Interesting - hadn't heard of that!

It's very clear from the documented cited that this is for new build only -
and is thus not relevant to the OP.

It also mentions an in-built filter for DSL installations. Although it
doesn't specify how customer wiring is to be connected, I imagine that it
provides both filtered and unfiltered connections in the same was as a
filtered faceplate on an NTE-5.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old September 29th 08, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Eeyore wrote:
Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

How does this work, or does the external NTE5 have a filter?

I have just purchased an older property that does not have an
NTE5. In fact the drop wire from the telegraph pole comes in
through a window has an old style GPO box and then various bits of
wire running over the wall paper and round skirting to a number of
hardwired outlets.

My plan was to phone BT up and ask for an NTE5 to be fitted, and
at a more suitable location than the current entry point, with the
expectation that I will have to fork over some money.

However after doing some reading on the internet it would appear
that there is now some newfangled external NTE5,

What exactly do you mean by 'external'. To be fitted on the outside
of your home ?

I suggest you read better.

Graham

Yes Graham, there is a variety of NTe which fit to the outside of the
property.....

If you're ever in this situation I would suggest you ignore it & make the
first socket inside the NTE + faceplate, always remembering that Openreach
only covers to the outside one...

Old September 29th 08, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
[...]

Yes you'll have to pay but no you shouldn't get an external NTE as these are
supposed to be being put into use in/on U/G fed estates....

Old September 30th 08, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

after doing some reading on the internet it would appear that there
is now some newfangled external NTE5,

What exactly do you mean by 'external'. To be fitted on the outside of your
home? I suggest you read better.

I suggest you read more ;-)

http://www.sinet.bt.com/STIN470v1p0.pdf

It's called an "external NTE" - NOT an NTE5.

Can't quite figure why anyone would want one though.

Graham

Old September 30th 08, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

kraftee wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

[...]

But it's not called an NTE5 which was my point.

Graham

Old September 30th 08, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Eeyore wrote:

Yes Graham, there is a variety of NTe which fit to the outside of the
property.....

But it's not called an NTE5 which was my point.

I'm sure you're right. But it is really worth labouring the point - everyone
will know what was meant?!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old September 30th 08, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Roger Mills wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Yes Graham, there is a variety of NTe which fit to the outside of the
property.....

But it's not called an NTE5 which was my point.

I'm sure you're right. But it is really worth labouring the point - everyone
will know what was meant?!

Well no.

I was wondering who in their right mind would put an NTE5 outdoors !

Graham