Invalid Pipex MAC code (1st Oct 2008)

Old October 1st 08, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew MacPherson

Default Invalid Pipex MAC code (1st Oct 2008)

I'm just wondering if anyone has any recent experience of a Pipex MAC code failing
and the best way to cut through the potential admin nightmare. I've tried bunging
it into my O2 account, which has been waiting patiently for a week now, but it's
rejected as invalid. I've triple-checked, but no joy.

Reading around the web I see this is hardly a new problem, but sadly I have no
faith in Pipex to be able to give me a definite answer.

I suspect the best thing might be to just cancel Pipex and have an adsl-free period.
Otherwise I could end up in a support loop waiting for days at a time for any kind
of progress.

Thanks,
Andrew McP

PS In typical Pipex form, they sent me two identical letters with the MAC details,
both arriving at the same time.
Old October 1st 08, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

Reading around the web I see this is hardly a new problem, but sadly I
have no
faith in Pipex to be able to give me a definite answer.

I suspect the best thing might be to just cancel Pipex and have an
adsl-free period.
Otherwise I could end up in a support loop waiting for days at a time for
any kind
of progress.

Try Ofcom, they are pretty toothless, but do write to the firm
concerned and give them a deadline to reply about the complaint.
If the firm concerned fails to reply I don't think Ofcom actually
do anything. about it. Ofcom don't seem to have any powers
to fine, or take to court, ISP's who stick two fingers up, and
continue to give shiddy service. Or should that be two t's?
It may be that Ofcom have powers that they are unwilling
to use for individual complaints, otherwise they would be
dragging most ISP's through the courts.
Old October 1st 08, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 1 Oct, 12:13, "Ato_Zee" wrote:
[...]

Well when had the same thing with PIPEX I rang OFCOM to complain
The very next day Tiscali/Pipex rang me up to tell me they understood
I had complained to OFCOM and what was the problem. New MAC a day or
two later
I Dont call that toothless
HTH PHIL
Old October 1st 08, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Andrew MacPherson" wrote in message
[...]

I've been waiting over five weeks for a valid MAC from Pipex after they
originally issued an invalid one and despite being told on a couple of
occasions "it will be with you within five days", so far it hasn't arrived.

When I 'phoned today, they said "it wasn't possible to generate a new code
until the old (invalid) one has expired" surely this is complete rubbish?

Anyway, it has expired now and they claim to have generated a new one, which
of course, will be with me "within five days" [sic].

John

Old October 1st 08, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I've been waiting over five weeks for a valid MAC from Pipex after they
originally issued an invalid one and despite being told on a couple of
occasions "it will be with you within five days", so far it hasn't arrived.
When I 'phoned today, they said "it wasn't possible to generate a new code
until the old (invalid) one has expired" surely this is complete rubbish?

Make sure they note that the end of your contract should correspond
with your first request for a MAC - not when they finally work out how
to use their systems.

Anyway, it has expired now and they claim to have generated a new one, which
of course, will be with me "within five days" [sic].

Sounds like crap to me, ISTR they have to provide one within about 48
hours per ofcom guidelines...

These may have all left Pipex now following the Tiscali takeover,
but...

peter.dubens pipexgroup.com
mike.read pipexgroup.com
clare.chapman pipex.net
stuart.wakefield pipex.net

(Peter Dubens was the chairman, Mike Read the Chief Executive Officer)

You need an @ and no spaces in the gaps above :-)

Clare was by far the most helpful for me when I had a similar issue
when leaving for Sky last year, and for her sake, I hope she's either
gone up the payscales or found a better job for a good employer :-)
Old October 2nd 08, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
[...]

Cheers guys, it seem the "threatening" approach *may* have worked.
They have given me a new MAC now, I only hope it's a good one this time!

John