RF enquiry

Old October 3rd 08, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default RF enquiry

Flyig u 28 + wrote:
Around 19-00 yesterday and from 08-30 for about hour this morning, my
terrestrial BBC1 became unwatchable and broadband dropped out resetting the
synch rate down a few hundred kbps. The appearance on the TV was lots of
short horizontal white lines progressing downwards and a continuos narrow
white horizontal full screenwidth band again moving downwards.

Analogue TV then.

This was
accompanied by loud hissing and crackling which drowned out the sound.
Both my TVs were affected at the same times, but no other channels
appeared to be affected. Since there had been a British Gas van around at
both times and we have just started a cold spell I wondered if it was some
radio interference from a CH water pump or fumes extractor fan.

Not at that level, no.

Might be excessive arcing somewhere on the mains.Someone using an arc
welder maybe?

Or a failing insulator on a mains line somewhere..

Next door
are today having a CH boiler/pump assembly changed and the interference has
now stopped, since the unit was disconnected. However should it occur
again and that was not the problem, whom can I contact towards detecting
the source of the interference to my TV? In the distant past I believe it
was the province of the old GPO, but who would it be today?

It's is probably not worth it. If it's not there now, they wont find
anything.

It could have been a powerful walkie talkie type setup somewhere very
close as well.
Old October 3rd 08, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 28 +

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Flyig u 28 + wrote:
Around 19-00 yesterday and from 08-30 for about hour this morning,
my terrestrial BBC1 became unwatchable and broadband dropped out
resetting the synch rate down a few hundred kbps. The appearance on
the TV was lots of short horizontal white lines progressing
downwards and a continuos narrow white horizontal full screenwidth
band again moving downwards.

Analogue TV then.

Yep

[...]

But who would *thet* be who could investigate it these days?

It could have been a powerful walkie talkie type setup somewhere very
close as well.

It seemed to be on and off most of yesterday evening - well up to midnight
that I know of - and early this morning. That's why I wondered if it could
be associated with some domestic heating system. Not mine since I have gas
fires and no electris other than a timer switched immersion heater and
electric convector heater, neither of which were on at the times quoted.
Not happened again since , so all digits crossed that it won't happen
again, but I bet it does.
--
Heard melodies are sweet, but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 28 +, Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old October 3rd 08, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

Flyig u 28 + wrote:
[...]

The answer is:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/inter/tv/intbr/

George

Old October 3rd 08, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Flyig u 28 + wrote:
[...]

Not sure..the beeb would know..suspect its OfCom in fact.

It could have been a powerful walkie talkie type setup somewhere very
close as well.

It seemed to be on and off most of yesterday evening - well up to midnight
that I know of - and early this morning. That's why I wondered if it could
be associated with some domestic heating system. Not mine since I have gas
fires and no electris other than a timer switched immersion heater and
electric convector heater, neither of which were on at the times quoted.
Not happened again since , so all digits crossed that it won't happen
again, but I bet it does.

How long was it on FOR? seconds, or minutes. If seconds it could be an
arcing contact on a motorised valve, though this is less a hiss than the
sound of disintegrating bearings in a racing engine IYSWIM.

Ive gt a couple of crap thermostats that do this. about 3 seconds of
total mayhem on all RF equipment.

Old October 3rd 08, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 28 +

Flyig u 28 + wrote:
[...]

Thanks George that's what I was after.

Old October 3rd 08, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 28 +

Flyig u 28 + wrote:
[...]

Ive got a couple of crap thermostats that do this. about 3 seconds of
total mayhem on all RF equipment.

Several minutes with very short breaks for around hour whilst I was eating
my dinner. Then during the evening again in short spells (minutes) up 'til
an least midnight, I didn't observe it at the time but an hoursworth of
VCR recording I'd taken between 21-00 to 22-00. Then again for a hour
period this morning. I tnink it probably was happening lunch time today
since my BB connection dropped out leading to a sych rate fall from 6688 to
6176 kbps at 13-46. This is a most unusual occurrence during the day.

Old October 3rd 08, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Flyig u 28 +" wrote in message
Flyig u 28 + wrote:
[...]

Let's hope they don't find anything on your premises that's causing the
problem.
You have to agree up-front to pay them fifty quid if they find it's down to
you!

George

Old October 3rd 08, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Flyig u 28 + wrote:
[...]

Right. Thats unlikely to be switching noise, but it might be something
to do with the boiler/pump.

Normally these are extremely well suppressed.

AS a first off, I would record tapes every night for a record, and try
and identify a pattern.

I would also contact your neighbour and say that you are having issues,
and are they? Don't mention it as being their fault. It may not be. If
they are also having it, its a good start.If they say 'oh, yes, thats
the new boiler: the guy is coming to replace XYZ on Friday' then there
you are!

Old October 3rd 08, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 28 +

Flyig u 28 + wrote:
[...]

That's a diffiucult one. Next door one side are in the process of having a
new boiler fitted right now (the old one was leaking), but the neighbours
on the other side had the Corgi engineer in yesterday afternoon, so who
knows. Hope it was the former and the new boiler will be free of of fault.
However if the latter it could be something the engineer played with
yesterday seeing I first noticed it between 6 and 7 pm yesterday.

Old October 3rd 08, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 28 +

George Weston wrote:
"Flyig u 28 +" wrote in message
Flyig u 28 + wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty certain it nothing I have in my house that is causing it. Only
electrical devices that were on, at the time were fridge, router, usual
lighting, a couple of pond pumps (30 foot from the house - and they're on
24/7), TV, Sky digital set top box, Hi-fi and VCR, all in stand by mode.