O2, my experience

Old October 7th 08, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Default O2, my experience

I, like many others, had to have a final push to make me leave my previous
ISP (Nildram, Pipex/Tiscali, whatever). Nildram's speed was not an issue. I
was on their ADSL2+ service, and with a downstream attenuation of 34dB, I
got just over 10Meg. But the final nail in the coffin for me, apart from
their complete incompetence with my voice service, was the throttling of
Usenet access in the evenings. Sometime it would simply cease. There was a
workaround by using motzarella and a secure connection, but this doesn't
work for binaries (maybe I just needed to find another news service that
sneaked past Nildram's throttling rules).

Anyway, I requested a MAC, got one in two days and gave it to O2. I decided
on the upto 16Meg package. O2's migration was faultless. Text notification
at every stage. Router arrived a few days before the switchover. And the
switchover took place on the date they'd set. A process from MAC request to
activation of 10 days.

I continued to use my Linksys WAG200 router, and simply changed the mode to
RF1483 bridged. However, the linksys reported a connection rate of 7Meg with
a downstream margin of 15dB. I expected this to reduce and the line speed to
increase over the next few days- it didn't. O2 emailed me to say that my
line was not running at the expected speed, and gave me the opportunity to
change package to save money (and to speak to them to see if they could get
a better speed).

I plugged the O2 router in, and it connected at over 13Meg with a margin of
6dB. It has been solid for the last few days, and I can easily download from
all sources, at all times of the day/night, at near theoretical maximum. Net
Stat Live says that downloads are running at about 1.4MBytes/s.

What can I say? If you are teetering on the edge of leaving your current
ISP, just do it! But don't go to O2; I want the bandwidth for myself

Old October 7th 08, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

Grumps wrote:

But don't go to O2; I want the bandwidth for myself

No it's mine! I was here first.... ;-)

--
Adrian C
Old October 7th 08, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Adrian C wrote:

But don't go to O2; I want the bandwidth for myself

No it's mine! I was here first.... ;-)

Move over chaps. Make space for the big boys!

8p" pprrppthhhhhh
Old October 7th 08, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invisible Man

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Adrian C wrote:

But don't go to O2; I want the bandwidth for myself

No it's mine! I was here first.... ;-)

Move over chaps. Make space for the big boys!

8p" pprrppthhhhhh

As I understand it o2 is growing fast. Remains to see whether they have
the capability as usage increases.
Old October 7th 08, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 15:42:20 +0100, Invisible Man wrote:

As I understand it o2 is growing fast. Remains to see whether they have
the capability as usage increases.

It would be nice to think that Telefonica realise why the service is
popular, and maintain the investment to keep it so as the number of users
increases.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:23:12 up 3 days, 9:20, 2 users, load average: 0.02, 0.05, 0.06
Old October 7th 08, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

alexd wrote:
On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 15:42:20 +0100, Invisible Man wrote:

As I understand it o2 is growing fast. Remains to see whether they have
the capability as usage increases.

It would be nice to think that Telefonica realise why the service is
popular, and maintain the investment to keep it so as the number of users
increases.

I wonder if the discount for mobile users is increasing the number of O2
mobile accounts as well? I was almost tempted except I only spend
about 10 a year topping up my Orange PAYG so not worth it.

Old October 7th 08, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Grumps wrote:

But don't go to O2; I want the bandwidth for myself

No it's mine! I was here first.... ;-)

--
Adrian C

I was definitely here first (at least on Be, the network of which O2 are
using)
Suffering terrible peak time lag at the moment due to congested transit
links, but hopefully should be sorted in about a week