TalkTalk No, wait.... :)

Old October 8th 08, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Default TalkTalk No, wait.... :)

Right.. I'm just about to switch to Be. for main ADSL connection; now my
back-up connection is currently Entanet, but it's getting very little
use as a back-up so I was thinking it could be an Idea to try the
dreaded TalkTalk as I have their phone service for the Fax machine.

Has anyone had any recent feedback or dared try their LLU service?
It would be purely as an emergency back-up so for 15 inc line rental
and 40GB allowance may well be worthy of serious re-investigation.

Cheers
Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Old October 8th 08, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Dent

My mate's Bulgarian cleaner signed up to the service. Installation date
15th September when BT was disconnected. No installation date yet...
Chris

Old October 8th 08, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Chris Dent wrote:
My mate's Bulgarian cleaner signed up to the service. Installation date
15th September when BT was disconnected. No installation date yet...
Chris

I'd be interested to know how he/she gets on.
Cheers
Pete

Old October 8th 08, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:54:25 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

Right.. I'm just about to switch to Be. for main ADSL connection; now my
back-up connection is currently Entanet, but it's getting very little
use as a back-up so I was thinking it could be an Idea to try the
dreaded TalkTalk as I have their phone service for the Fax machine.

That's what I do too. I wouldn't have TalkTalk as my main connection
but it's okay as an occasional backup.

I tried using it the other day to download something for BBC's iplayer
but got a shockingly slow response time. When I tried it with my main
connection (adsl24/entanet) it downloaded at the expected rate. I
guess from this that TalkTalk must be throttling the p2p ports used to
deter their use. That said, I wonder what else they're throttling?

As an emergency backup I only need email and occasional web use so
TalkTalk is okay but if you need other stuff I'd check it's going to
be okay before switching.

Regarding switchover between the two, I have two default gateways set
on my pc with the main gateway having the lower metric. It's okay but
not great at dead gateway detection. Do you have a better suggestion?

Jim.

Old October 8th 08, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

James Egan wrote:

That's what I do too. I wouldn't have TalkTalk as my main connection
but it's okay as an occasional backup.

Is your exchange LLU'd James?
I wonder whether CPW/talktalk LLU exchanges have a better service than
the standard BT contracted job

I tried using it the other day to download something for BBC's iplayer
but got a shockingly slow response time. When I tried it with my main
connection (adsl24/entanet) it downloaded at the expected rate. I
guess from this that TalkTalk must be throttling the p2p ports used to
deter their use. That said, I wonder what else they're throttling?

As an emergency backup I only need email and occasional web use so
TalkTalk is okay but if you need other stuff I'd check it's going to
be okay before switching.

Hmmmmm
It would be for VOIP back-up and a few e-mails and a bit of browsing.
VOIP in it's self isn't very bandwidth hungry but would suffer if packet
loss etc were an issue.

Regarding switchover between the two, I have two default gateways set
on my pc with the main gateway having the lower metric. It's okay but
not great at dead gateway detection. Do you have a better suggestion?

Yes.
:)

I have a dual WAN Draytek router so I can set it to dial on demand, or
what I currently do is manually tell it the back-up connection has much
smaller bandwidth than it really does, plus I force all FTP and port 80
/ 8080 traffic over the main connection by default so it's only when the
main connection goes down that anything gets routed over the back-up.
All pretty seamless and not noticeable when it happens.

Old October 8th 08, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 20:06:29 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

James Egan wrote:

That's what I do too. I wouldn't have TalkTalk as my main connection
but it's okay as an occasional backup.

Is your exchange LLU'd James?
I wonder whether CPW/talktalk LLU exchanges have a better service than
the standard BT contracted job

Yes. I get a slightly faster sync usually with TalkTalk but there's
not much in it. Very long lines here averaging about 500k d/l.

snip

Regarding switchover between the two, I have two default gateways set
on my pc with the main gateway having the lower metric. It's okay but
not great at dead gateway detection. Do you have a better suggestion?

Yes.
:)

I have a dual WAN Draytek router so I can set it to dial on demand, or
what I currently do is manually tell it the back-up connection has much
smaller bandwidth than it really does, plus I force all FTP and port 80
/ 8080 traffic over the main connection by default so it's only when the
main connection goes down that anything gets routed over the back-up.
All pretty seamless and not noticeable when it happens.

I thought about getting a dual WAN router to try to aggregate the
connections to some extent but the ones which got good write ups for
doing that reliably seemed to cost and arm and a leg.

I've just got two single wan routers at the moment.

Jim.

Old October 9th 08, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:54:25 +0100, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Has anyone had any recent feedback or dared try their LLU service?

We're testing a line from an Opal LLU reseller in the office as a backup
to our main VM business line. I'm distinctly unimpressed; the Opal LLU is
synced at 8123kbps, but speed tests so far have struggled to get above
5Mbps. This may turn out to be the line bedding in - only went live on
Monday. Latency to some destinations is double what we see on cable too.

As regards your question elsethread about how to load balance/failover a
pair of broadbands, just make sure whatever you choose has plenty of
options to play with, or is intelligent about VoIP. My experience with
spillover-based load balancing has been that if the phone registers down
one line, then the load on that line causes further voice traffic to use
the other line, one or both ends of the VoIP will get very confused,
resulting in the dreaded one way/no way audio. YMMV!

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:09:18 up 5 days, 11:06, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.06, 0.01
Old October 9th 08, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

alexd wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the post Alex.
Fortunately our line length to the exchange is around 230m. Current line
through UKonline (easynet) shows a sync of 25Mbps with typical speed
test resulting in around 17Mbps down and 650Kbps up.
I have just signed up to Be* Pro today for better upload speeds, so the
secondary back-up is only going to be active on demand rather than
load-balancing as both down and up stream will never be saturated with
our use on main connection.
I have VOIP traffic priority configured on the router set as class 1 and
as back-up dsl will only kick in(dial a session)should main go down,
then it will drop out once main comes back to like which means all
traffic will only ever go via a single IP address.

Cheers
Pete
Old October 10th 08, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 22:39:42 +0100, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

I have VOIP traffic priority configured on the router set as class 1 and
as back-up dsl will only kick in(dial a session)should main go down,
then it will drop out once main comes back to like which means all
traffic will only ever go via a single IP address.

Our solution, apparently, was to tie traffic from the MAC addresses of
the VoIP kit to the cable line with the relevant tools on our Sonicwall.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:04:15 up 6 days, 10:01, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.09, 0.08