Broadband drop outs

Old October 9th 08, 07:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Ridgeway

Default Broadband drop outs

Broadband is described as an "always on" service. Following a problem with
my ISP I've been monitoring the continuity of my connection to find it drops
out up to three times a day (and sometimes goes for a couple of days without
a drop out). Although it always seems to reconnect automatically it is a
nuisance. Is this "usual" behaviour?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Old October 9th 08, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 07:58:30 +0100, "Bill Ridgeway"
wrote:

Broadband is described as an "always on" service. Following a problem with
my ISP I've been monitoring the continuity of my connection to find it drops
out up to three times a day (and sometimes goes for a couple of days without
a drop out). Although it always seems to reconnect automatically it is a
nuisance. Is this "usual" behaviour?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

My connection does the same. I don't monitor it but I notice the
status changing on the connection icon. It usually happens when a
phone is ringing. Everything has been checked/replaced but the problem
continues.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com
EasyNN-plus. Build Neural Networks. http://www.easynn.com

Old October 9th 08, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
Broadband is described as an "always on" service. Following a problem with
my ISP I've been monitoring the continuity of my connection to find it drops
out up to three times a day (and sometimes goes for a couple of days without
a drop out). Although it always seems to reconnect automatically it is a
nuisance. Is this "usual" behaviour?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Yes. Burst of noise can knock it off its perch: Broadband - especually
ADSL MAX - sails as close to the SNR wind as it can. Sometimes it ends
up 'in irons' that's all.
Old October 9th 08, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 28 +

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
Broadband is described as an "always on" service. Following a
problem with my ISP I've been monitoring the continuity of my
connection to find it drops out up to three times a day (and
sometimes goes for a couple of days without a drop out). Although it
always seems to reconnect automatically it is a nuisance. Is this
"usual" behaviour?
Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Mine does it every evening Bill. I run all day with a synch rate aroud 6800
kbps, then sometime between 19-00 and 23-00 it can drop out a couple of
times with a subsequent fall in synch rate to around 6300 kbps, and
occasionally lower.
--
Heard melodies are sweet, but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 28 +, Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old October 9th 08, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
Broadband is described as an "always on" service. Following a problem
with my ISP I've been monitoring the continuity of my connection to find
it drops out up to three times a day (and sometimes goes for a couple of
days without a drop out). Although it always seems to reconnect
automatically it is a nuisance. Is this "usual" behaviour?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Mine did this frequently until a few months ago when the speed dropped as
well, and things got unacceptable.
This prompted me to take the following actions:
1. Bin my old "frog" USB modem.
2. Install a new ethernet modem-router.
3. Fit new, professional-quality phone-filters
4. Install a BT I-plate
5. Having sorted things out at my end, then get on to my ISP and ask them to
check out the SNR margin with BT, which they eventually did, which brought
the speed back up.

Result: Rock-solid connection ever since. No great improvement in speed but
back to where it was before the problems and no drop-outs or speed
fluctuations.

As I see it, my problems were due to:
Interference from internal phone wiring - cured by the new filters and
I-plate.
Using an old USB modem.
Long line from the exchange, which probably deteriorated enough to result in
a speed drop. (Not much that can be done about this apart from some gentle
SNR-margin tweaking until an optimum speed/reliability is achieved.)

Hope that helps,

George

Old October 9th 08, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Livingston

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Bill Ridgeway wrote:
Broadband is described as an "always on" service. Following a problem
with my ISP I've been monitoring the continuity of my connection to
find it drops out up to three times a day (and sometimes goes for a
couple of days without a drop out). Although it always seems to
reconnect automatically it is a nuisance. Is this "usual" behaviour?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Yes. Burst of noise can knock it off its perch: Broadband - especually
ADSL MAX - sails as close to the SNR wind as it can. Sometimes it ends
up 'in irons' that's all.

More an uncontrolled gybe, I'd say. Mind yer head ...

John
Old October 9th 08, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
Broadband is described as an "always on" service. Following a
problem with my ISP I've been monitoring the continuity of my
connection to find it drops out up to three times a day (and
sometimes goes for a couple of days without a drop out). Although it
always seems to reconnect automatically it is a nuisance. Is this
"usual" behaviour?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Yes. Burst of noise can knock it off its perch: Broadband - especually
ADSL MAX - sails as close to the SNR wind as it can. Sometimes it ends
up 'in irons' that's all.

More an uncontrolled gybe, I'd say. Mind yer head ...

well, possibly.;-)

Really its designed to simply rate adapt down till it finds a place that
is stable and settled. Which probably means no worse than 1-3dB SNR in
the worst conditions. And typically 3-7dB in better times.

I get patches of instability, followed by periods of calm.

Right now still on 4000, at 5.5dB

John

Old October 9th 08, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Ridgeway

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
Broadband is described as an "always on" service. Following a problem
with my ISP I've been monitoring the continuity of my connection to find
it drops out up to three times a day (and sometimes goes for a couple of
days without a drop out). Although it always seems to reconnect
automatically it is a nuisance. Is this "usual" behaviour?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Thanks for all your responses. I was concerned that the drop in connection
and the automatic reboot of the router may be sympomatic of a problem bu it
seems to be usual - if rather annoying.

Bill Ridgeway

Old October 9th 08, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Bill Ridgeway wrote:

Broadband is described as an "always on" service. Following a problem with
my ISP I've been monitoring the continuity of my connection to find it drops
out up to three times a day (and sometimes goes for a couple of days without
a drop out). Although it always seems to reconnect automatically it is a
nuisance. Is this "usual" behaviour?

Is it a router ? Can you access the diagnostic log. It will tell you lots of
stuff. Typically those USB modems aren't as helpful this way.

Here's mine for example. But there are no errors on it at the moment. You'll see
them if they're there though. They should be obious enough for you to fathom.

1/1/1970 0:0:0 Ethernet Device 0 Detected
1/1/1970 0:0:0 ATM: Detected
1/1/1970 0:0:0 ATM: Setting up vcc0, VPI=0, VCI=38
1/1/1970 0:0:0 Dynamic NAPT is enabled
1/1/1970 0:0:0 CfgMgr: 'Shtm.dlz' module loaded.
1/1/1970 0:0:0 CfgMgr: 'Washer.dlz' module loaded.
1/1/1970 0:0:0 Washer - washer_reg called!
1/1/1970 0:0:13 ATM Connected
1/1/1970 0:0:13 ATM layer is up, cell delineation achieved
1/1/1970 0:0:13 ADSL connected
1/1/1970 0:0:13 PPP1 PPPoA Connected
1/1/1970 0:0:16 PPP1 CHAP Authentication success
1/1/1970 0:0:16 PPP1: PPP IP address is xxx.xx.xx.xxx
1/1/1970 0:0:16 PPP1: PPP Gateway IP address is xxx.xx.xx.xxx
1/1/1970 0:0:16 PPP1: DNS Primary IP address is xxx.xx.xx.xxx
1/1/1970 0:0:16 PPP1: DNS Secondary IP address is xxx.xx.xx.xxx
1/1/1970 0:0:16 NAT/NAPT Session Start: interface ppp1, WAN IP is
xxx.xx.xx.xxx
1/1/1970 0:0:16 Initialized Dynamic NAPT.
1/1/1970 0:0:16 No Static Session Information is defined.
1/1/1970 0:0:16 PPP1 Session is up.
10/9/2008 0:47:59 Received time from Time Server 128.138.140.44

Graham

Old October 9th 08, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

Broadband is described as an "always on" service. Following a problem
with my ISP I've been monitoring the continuity of my connection to find

it drops out up to three times a day (and sometimes goes for a couple of

days without a drop out). Although it always seems to reconnect
automatically it is a nuisance. Is this "usual" behaviour?

With some modems you can use DMT tool to set your target SNR,
as well as graph your SNR and get error stats for the last 3 days.
Dropping my target SNR margin I went from 2.528 to 3.808, and
stable.
If you are suffering from noise burst dropouts you can set a higher
margin with the target SNR slider, this should give fewer or no
dropouts, but with the downside that your line may (but not
necessarily) run a bit slower.
I have 2 modems that support DMT tool, an old BT240 and a
Netgear WAG54GS (for the latter you do need to lean
on Netgear support for the flash that supports DMT tool).
DMT tool when running also puts a hover over icon in your
system tray, the on hover shows your speed down, up, and
current SNR.