Moving home with BT and changing ADSL providers

Old October 10th 08, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren

Default Moving home with BT and changing ADSL providers

Hello

In a months time I am moving house from 1 area code to a new area
code.

I am currently 5.3km from the exchange and I barely get 1mb

The new property is only 0.6km from the new exchange - horray!!

I would like to switch providers from NewNet to O2 at the new property
as it will cost me half the price [as im an o2 customer] and also its
unlimited.

What is the easiest and quickest way of doing this? I would like adsl
service available at the property within days of moving in.

Currently somebody already lives at the property and has an active BT
line.

thanks

Darren
Old October 10th 08, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Darren wrote:
Hello

In a months time I am moving house from 1 area code to a new area
code.

I am currently 5.3km from the exchange and I barely get 1mb

The new property is only 0.6km from the new exchange - horray!!

I would like to switch providers from NewNet to O2 at the new property
as it will cost me half the price [as im an o2 customer] and also its
unlimited.

What is the easiest and quickest way of doing this? I would like adsl
service available at the property within days of moving in.

Currently somebody already lives at the property and has an active BT
line.

I am not an expert but I THINK that you will have to cancel all existing
contracts, and your home seller will almost certainly cancel his.

So you will have to get a 'new' connection of both phone and broadband.
At whatever it costs.

To be honest, its easier hat way anyway. The telcos are equipped to
handle those, whereas trying to get stuff 'moved' is almost impossible.

Oh, BTW its normally spelt (or spelled, if you are in the US) 'hooray'
or 'hurrah' (or US again. 'hurray'):-)

thanks

Darren

Old October 10th 08, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invisible Man

Darren wrote:
Hello

In a months time I am moving house from 1 area code to a new area
code.

I am currently 5.3km from the exchange and I barely get 1mb

The new property is only 0.6km from the new exchange - horray!!

I would like to switch providers from NewNet to O2 at the new property
as it will cost me half the price [as im an o2 customer] and also its
unlimited.

What is the easiest and quickest way of doing this? I would like adsl
service available at the property within days of moving in.

Currently somebody already lives at the property and has an active BT
line.

thanks

Darren

If the seller has adsl make sure he/she tells their ISP they are moving.
It used to be a nightmare getting tags removed from a line.
Old October 10th 08, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Darren formulated the question :
Hello

In a months time I am moving house from 1 area code to a new area
code.

I am currently 5.3km from the exchange and I barely get 1mb

The new property is only 0.6km from the new exchange - horray!!

I would like to switch providers from NewNet to O2 at the new property
as it will cost me half the price [as im an o2 customer] and also its
unlimited.

What is the easiest and quickest way of doing this? I would like adsl
service available at the property within days of moving in.

Currently somebody already lives at the property and has an active BT
line.

thanks

Darren

If they don't have broadband on the line, simply order BB with enough
time to allow for your chosen provider's lead time.

Or, assuming they have ADSL on the line....:

You can't really co-ordinate with the old occupants, as best way is to
get them to obtain a MAC from their ADSL supplier and give it to you.
The problem with this approach is that if they're with BT Retail, BT
generally issue a stop/start when a new customer takes over the line.
This inevitably sets the ball in motion for the broadband to be ceased.
That said, it may not actually be the case anymore as BT use WLR3...Can
anyone else jump in here?

If you can't do the above, the quickest way is to order a new line and
a simultaneous broadband provision.

If you do neither, you may find it impossible to place a broadband
order on the line for X number of days.

Do you know their telephone number? if so, pop it into an ISP's line
checker & it should indicate if there's broadband on the line or not.

Old October 10th 08, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Darren wrote:

Hello

In a months time I am moving house from 1 area code to a new area
code.

I am currently 5.3km from the exchange and I barely get 1mb

The new property is only 0.6km from the new exchange - horray!!

I would like to switch providers from NewNet to O2 at the new property
as it will cost me half the price [as im an o2 customer] and also its
unlimited.

What is the easiest and quickest way of doing this? I would like adsl
service available at the property within days of moving in.

Currently somebody already lives at the property and has an active BT
line.

Oh, if only things like this were simple. You're likely to have to pay a
new 'activation fee' too.

Graham

Old October 14th 08, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article , Eeyore
writes

Darren wrote:

Hello

In a months time I am moving house from 1 area code to a new area
code.

I am currently 5.3km from the exchange and I barely get 1mb

The new property is only 0.6km from the new exchange - horray!!

I would like to switch providers from NewNet to O2 at the new property
as it will cost me half the price [as im an o2 customer] and also its
unlimited.

What is the easiest and quickest way of doing this? I would like adsl
service available at the property within days of moving in.

Currently somebody already lives at the property and has an active BT
line.

Oh, if only things like this were simple. You're likely to have to pay a
new 'activation fee' too.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I've managed a simultaneous move on
a domestic service and OMG the broadband provider was Orange. I didn't
expect it to work but it did. It was pretty straightforward, just giving
BT and Orange the 'I'm moving' notification.

I think the party moving out had broadband too but couldn't swear to it,
it was a couple of years ago.

If the o/p can manage this, I'd migrate just after the move, to keep it
separate, I'd bet Newnet would handle any problems in the move better
than O2.
--
fred