BB speed checkers

Old October 10th 08, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Dent

Default BB speed checkers

Suspicious that I am not getting anything like the bandwidth I should
expect, I wonder whether anyone can tell me whether internal wireless
network speed impacts speed-check results? Also would anyone know how
to get (which?) stats out of a netgear WGR614v6 wireless router from a
windows pc? Finally, which online speed checkers are most reliable?

TIA,
Chris
Old October 10th 08, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Chris Dent wrote:

Suspicious that I am not getting anything like the bandwidth I should
expect, I wonder whether anyone can tell me whether internal wireless
network speed impacts speed-check results?

Only if it's crap. Most speedcheckers are **** anyway.

Try this, I have found it highly reliable ....
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Graham

Old October 10th 08, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Chris Dent wrote:
Suspicious that I am not getting anything like the bandwidth I should
expect, I wonder whether anyone can tell me whether internal wireless
network speed impacts speed-check results? Also would anyone know how
to get (which?) stats out of a netgear WGR614v6 wireless router from a
windows pc? Finally, which online speed checkers are most reliable?

TIA,
Chris

www.speedtester.bt.com is the only one that your ISP will take any notice of
if you complain about speed issues as it tells you your IP Profile and
throughput speed.

Old October 10th 08, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

John wrote:

Chris Dent wrote:
Suspicious that I am not getting anything like the bandwidth I should
expect, I wonder whether anyone can tell me whether internal wireless
network speed impacts speed-check results? Also would anyone know how
to get (which?) stats out of a netgear WGR614v6 wireless router from a
windows pc? Finally, which online speed checkers are most reliable?

www.speedtester.bt.com is the only one that your ISP will take any notice of
if you complain about speed issues as it tells you your IP Profile and
throughput speed.

If you can get the bloody thing to work !

Graham

Old October 11th 08, 01:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

Suspicious that I am not getting anything like the bandwidth I should
expect, I wonder whether anyone can tell me whether internal wireless
network speed impacts speed-check results?

Some Linksys models are compatible with DMT tool, if this is
the case you can set your target SNR, graph SNR, and gather
a lot of stats about your line.
In your case here are two figures, you link to your ISP sync speed,
and your wirelees connection link rate. No matter how fast your
sync speed, if it's a weak signal wireless connection, then a
speedtester from your PC will only show rhe crap speed of your
wirelees connection.
Remedy a CAT5 wired connection in place of the wireless one.
Your sync speed is the size of the pipe to your ISP, crap ISP's
can show high sync speeds, yet are unable to fill the pipe
(contention and traffic shaping) if this is the case ditch your
crap ISP.
It is dairly easy to determine where the bottlenecks are.
It can be your line leading to poor sysc speed.
Your wireless network.
Your ISP's network (time file uploads and downloads to test
files in your free webspace)
Your ISP's backhaul bandwidth (overseas speedtest servers
results reflect youe ISP's backhaul bandwidth, some ISP's
contract backhaul tu poor carriers.
Old October 11th 08, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Dent

Ato_Zee wrote:
In your case here are two figures, you link to your ISP sync speed,
and your wirelees connection link rate. No matter how fast your
sync speed, if it's a weak signal wireless connection, then a
speedtester from your PC will only show rhe crap speed of your
wirelees connection.

OK, but the theoretical wireless network speed is 54 Mbps and it never
seems to dip below a reported 48 Mbps so my feeling was this issue
shouldn't make a lot of difference with an up to 20Mb service. Right?
Chris
Old October 11th 08, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

OK, but the theoretical wireless network speed is 54 Mbps and it never
seems to dip below a reported 48 Mbps so my feeling was this issue
shouldn't make a lot of difference with an up to 20Mb service. Right?
Chris

If you are actually getting a good wireless rate and are satisfied that
this in not a bottleneck, then you need to collect some info. and do
some basic tests.
Can you get to your routers control panel, if so, what does it report for
sync speed, SNR and attenuation?
Next does your ISP give you some free webspace?
If so I generally start by FTP'ing a 1MB or thereabouts, file or
jpg, timing the upload and download. Do it a couple or
three times at different times of day, including when things
seem slow, this gives you the spread and average figures to and
from a server in your ISP's network. It should be independent
of your ISP's backhaul bandwidth (which affects speedtesters
located outside their network). In essence it measures your
PC's connection to and from your ISP.
Later on you can test how well your ISP's backhaul is
working.
If your PC is within striking distance of your router, and your
router has RJ45 connections as well as wireless, then
buy or make up a CAT5 RJ45 patch lead, long ones are
quite cheap on eBay (postage can be a bit salty - cheap price
for patch lead to compete against others - then they load on the
postage) or your local computer shop may make one up to order.
Now run over CAT5 (AND TURN OFF the wireless).
I assume ssuming your PC has an RJ45 connection.
If you are using a USB wireless dongle then your USB's
performance is involved, that's a separate issue.
Round here there are several unsecured networks with P2P
freeloaders, these can of course result in a wireless link
that reports good speeds and signal level, it's just that
the link suffers from loading and seems slower than expected.
Troubleshooting is about testing and interpreting.
Old October 11th 08, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Ato_Zee" wrote in message

OK, but the theoretical wireless network speed is 54 Mbps and it never
seems to dip below a reported 48 Mbps so my feeling was this issue
shouldn't make a lot of difference with an up to 20Mb service. Right?
Chris

If you are actually getting a good wireless rate and are satisfied that
this in not a bottleneck, then you need to collect some info. and do
some basic tests.

[snip good stuff]

Was testing this recently using several (Edimax) wireless access points as
intelligent repeaters (sometimes called WDS).

Topography was:

ADSL router with wireless

WAP-one

WAP-two

Laptop with wireless client.

PC wired to ADSL router achieves 1Mbit/sec on www.speedtest.net - this is
all I can expect on my long line.

Tried a PC wired in turn to WAP-one then WAP-two. At WAP-one, about
700kbits/sec. At WAP-two, about 300 kbits/sec. This despite each WAP
reporting a good signal, and the laptop reporting 24mbits/sec wireless
connection. Shows the disadvantage of WDS, I think.

Also, at one point I had a desktop PC with a Vigor N61 USB wireless adapter.
This performed much as expected using the wireless. BUT, even when this PC
was connected direct to the ADSL router using an ethernet cable, and with
the USB wireless device unplugged, it only achieved about 300kbits/sec -
until I uninstalled the driver for the N61. Then performance returned to
about 1mbit/sec

So the warning is, uninstall drivers for unused network hardware before
running performance tests.

--
Graham J

Old October 11th 08, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Chris Dent wrote:

Ato_Zee wrote:
In your case here are two figures, you link to your ISP sync speed,
and your wirelees connection link rate. No matter how fast your
sync speed, if it's a weak signal wireless connection, then a
speedtester from your PC will only show rhe crap speed of your
wirelees connection.

OK, but the theoretical wireless network speed is 54 Mbps and it never
seems to dip below a reported 48 Mbps so my feeling was this issue
shouldn't make a lot of difference with an up to 20Mb service. Right?

It'll always make a small difference due to 'overheads', packet resends
etc. How do you KNOW it's 48Mbps btw ?

Graham

Old October 11th 08, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Graham J wrote:

"Ato_Zee" wrote

[...]

Good advice. I did that myself recently as a precaution.

Graham