Virgin Media ADSL service e-mail was halted by spam

Old October 12th 08, 07:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Section

Default Virgin Media ADSL service e-mail was halted by spam

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3...d-by-spam.html
or http://tinyurl.com/3zyo9e
The BBC is reporting that thousands of Virgin Media ADSL customers have had
limited or no access to their e-mail due to what is thought to have been a
spam attack. The attack started on Tuesday and priority appears to have been
given to resolving the spam problems. E-mails delayed during this four day
period are now being delivered, and Virgin is keen to point out that no
e-mails were lost, and that all legitimate email that has been delayed will
be delivered.
"Since late Tuesday evening, some customers on our Virgin Media DSL service
may have been unable to access e-mail or webmail,

This was due to a suspected spam attack suffered by our e-mail supplier
which also affected a number of other ISPs. No customers on our cable
service were affected.

All customers are able to access e-mail again now, though due to a large
queue of undelivered e-mail messages, there may be a short delay before some
e-mails reach customers' accounts." - Statement by Virgin Media

Virgin.net which is the ADSL side of Virgin Media has around 200,000
customers, with around half experiencing problems with e-mail this week.
Virgin Media cable broadband customers were unaffected by the spam attack.