Will crossover cable work ?

Old October 13th 08, 08:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Farcry

Default Will crossover cable work ?

Hello I plan to set up a simple network for two computers going to buy a net
gear cable router I already have a crossover network cable that will reach
the router from my second pc will that work or do I need to buy a straight
cable ?

TIA.

Old October 13th 08, 09:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 13 Oct
2008 07:56:01 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Farcry"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Hello I plan to set up a simple network for two computers going to buy a net
gear cable router I already have a crossover network cable that will reach
the router from my second pc will that work or do I need to buy a straight
cable ?

Ideally a straight through, but you'll probably find your router will
auto-detect and work anyway.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
Old November 18th 08, 10:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gordon

"Farcry" wrote in message
om...
Hello I plan to set up a simple network for two computers going to buy a
net gear cable router I already have a crossover network cable that will
reach the router from my second pc will that work or do I need to buy a
straight cable ?

TIA.

If the router has two ethernet ports and you are connecting each machine
directly to the router then you need a straight cable, NOT a crossover.

Old November 18th 08, 11:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:37:23 -0000
"Gordon" wrote:

"Farcry" wrote in message
om...
Hello I plan to set up a simple network for two computers going to
buy a net gear cable router I already have a crossover network
cable that will reach the router from my second pc will that work
or do I need to buy a straight cable ?

If the router has two ethernet ports and you are connecting each
machine directly to the router then you need a straight cable, NOT a
crossover.

Most modern kit has auto MDI/MDI-X which detects the cable type and
deals with it accordingly, so try it with an existing cable before you
buy another.

Old November 18th 08, 02:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message [email protected], Rob Morley
writes
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:37:23 -0000
"Gordon" wrote:

"Farcry" wrote in message
om...
Hello I plan to set up a simple network for two computers going to
buy a net gear cable router I already have a crossover network
cable that will reach the router from my second pc will that work
or do I need to buy a straight cable ?

If the router has two ethernet ports and you are connecting each
machine directly to the router then you need a straight cable, NOT a
crossover.

Most modern kit has auto MDI/MDI-X which detects the cable type and
deals with it accordingly, so try it with an existing cable before you
buy another.

Many routers and switches have an uplink socket or a standard socket
with a switch to convert it into uplink mode. If you plug the crossover
cable into an uplink socket it should work.

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.