Why Virgin Broadband expensive?

Old October 15th 08, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

Default Why Virgin Broadband expensive?

My next door neighbour has Virgin TV and Telephone. He's thinking about
cable broadband. As an existing customer and looking at their website,
that seems to be 17 a month on top (after three months half price) for
a 2Mbit service.

That can't be right?

--
Adrian C
Old October 15th 08, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Adrian C wrote:

My next door neighbour has Virgin TV and Telephone. He's thinking about
cable broadband. As an existing customer and looking at their website,
that seems to be 17 a month on top (after three months half price) for
a 2Mbit service.

That can't be right?

That's because you're dealing with a dishonest company. Check the website.
It's 4.50 extra IIRC.

Graham

Old October 15th 08, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

Eeyore wrote:

That's because you're dealing with a dishonest company. Check the website.
It's 4.50 extra IIRC.

Been there, it's not ...

Am I glad I threw out NTL waaaaayyy back :-) Advising neighbour to do
the same.

--
Adrian C
Old October 15th 08, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:

That's because you're dealing with a dishonest company. Check the
website.
It's 4.50 extra IIRC.

Been there, it's not ...

Am I glad I threw out NTL waaaaayyy back :-) Advising neighbour to do
the same.

--
Adrian C

If the neighbour is on 2 fo 20 then he moves to 3 for 30 to get 2Mb
broadband. I would suggest 10 a month of a reliable guaranteed 2Mb is
not bad. If you use ADSL you get 'up to' 2Mb which can be anything from
2Mb downwards.

I don't know why people keep knocking VM. Agreed they may not be the
easiest outfit to deal with, but when you have their service and have
got it workinf there is rarely any need to talk to them again, so what's
the problem?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old October 15th 08, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Adrian C" wrote in message
My next door neighbour has Virgin TV and Telephone. He's thinking about
cable broadband. As an existing customer and looking at their website,
that seems to be 17 a month on top (after three months half price) for a
2Mbit service.

That can't be right?

--
Adrian C

Why are you bothered what your neighbour does?
The prices are on the website for you to check.

Old October 15th 08, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:

That's because you're dealing with a dishonest company. Check the
website.
It's 4.50 extra IIRC.

Been there, it's not ...

Am I glad I threw out NTL waaaaayyy back :-) Advising neighbour to do the
same.

--
Adrian C

It's easier to give your neighbour the name of this group and we can all
advise
him direct.

Old October 15th 08, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Woody wrote:
"Adrian C" wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:
That's because you're dealing with a dishonest company. Check the
website.
It's 4.50 extra IIRC.

Been there, it's not ...

Am I glad I threw out NTL waaaaayyy back :-) Advising neighbour to do
the same.

--
Adrian C

If the neighbour is on 2 fo 20 then he moves to 3 for 30 to get 2Mb
broadband. I would suggest 10 a month of a reliable guaranteed 2Mb is
not bad. If you use ADSL you get 'up to' 2Mb which can be anything from
2Mb downwards.

I don't know why people keep knocking VM. Agreed they may not be the
easiest outfit to deal with, but when you have their service and have
got it workinf there is rarely any need to talk to them again, so what's
the problem?

Largely because the DSL is nothing like as fast as it should be, and
whilst cheap, its still not felt to be value for money.

Its up to customers to decide, and Virgin top brass to decide, if they
are providing te best ratio of performance/support and cost that they can.

Independent surveys seem to reveal that whilst the cable service is fast
and relatively cheap, the DSL copper service is abysmal, and below a
certain level of performance and support, no one wants it at any price.

Thats suggest its under resourced at the backhaul level, since the cable
works OK.

Old October 15th 08, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Independent surveys seem to reveal that whilst the cable service is fast
and relatively cheap, the DSL copper service is abysmal, and below a
certain level of performance and support, no one wants it at any price.

Fair enough. But the cable network is really Virgin's only selling point.
On DSL they don't compete on price, they don't compete on features, they
certainly don't compete on customer service. I can't see any reason why I'd
want to take DSL service from them, not least because DSL looks like it's
playing second fiddle to CATV. The cable connection is a completely
different prospect.

(I did take a virgin.net connection once, because it was a monthly contract
with no cancellation fee so I could get DSL for two months. When I
cancelled they took two more months' cash and, after complaining, sent me a
cheque drawn on a bank in Madeira which would have cost a fortune to cash.
Eventually I got it back in a sensible currency)

Theo
Old October 15th 08, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

Woody wrote:

If the neighbour is on 2 fo 20 then he moves to 3 for 30 to get 2Mb
broadband.

I suspect he is not on that scheme, joined before it. Put the postcode
and his existing services into virgin's website and it's quite clear
it's an additional 18 per month.

I would suggest 10 a month of a reliable guaranteed 2Mb is
not bad. If you use ADSL you get 'up to' 2Mb which can be anything from
2Mb downwards.

From here, it would actually be somewhere between 11 to 16Mbits from
the local exchange on ADSL2+ from Be, for that same 18 cost. And a
solid DSL service at that. I get to max mine out sometimes.

I don't know why people keep knocking VM.

Admitedly my bad memories of being shafted by Cable & Wireless, then
again by NTL, both on early unmetered dial-up connections. (Pre-FRIACO)

Agreed they may not be the
easiest outfit to deal with,

He'll be giving them a ring. And them a nightmare - sales person himself.

but when you have their service and have
got it workinf there is rarely any need to talk to them again, so what's
the problem?

Terminal case of Credit Crunch... :-(

--
Adrian C
Old October 16th 08, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
trollus est [email protected]

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 19:52:54 +0100, "Ian"
wrote:

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:

That's because you're dealing with a dishonest company. Check the
website.
It's 4.50 extra IIRC.

Been there, it's not ...

Am I glad I threw out NTL waaaaayyy back :-) Advising neighbour to do the
same.

--
Adrian C

It's easier to give your neighbour the name of this group and we can all
advise
him direct.

What gives you, as a trolling idiot, to include yourself as part of
"we"?

We can and do advise people.

You can't..... You just post vacuous comments and are always too
frightened to respond to those who are kind enough to reply to your
own silly, unhelpful jibes, that demonstrate your utter lack of
knowledge.

You do it in here and in uk.comp.homebuilt; you know nothing and
attempt (and fail to) confuse those that ask for opinions and advice
by trying to link yourself with the genuinely helpful and knowledgable
people who post in these groups.

You reply only to posts from those you perceive as those that are not
fully up to speed in the vain effort to try to sound as if you are
"better".

You are not of course, and have never posted anything even remotely
useful to anyone.

You don't ever reply to anything challenging and won't of course reply
to this.

You'll now probably try to change identity yet again, and post under
yet another "nym", but you'll be spotted again I'm sure.

Andrew Sayers
Lincolnshire UK