Be / O2 On own kit

Old October 15th 08, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Default Be / O2 On own kit

Has anyone used their own kit on Be or O2 ?
Just a question as to whether they send username / password or whether
you have to log into the box(es) to extract this info (or call customer
services)

Cheers
Pete
Old October 15th 08, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in
message ...
Has anyone used their own kit on Be or O2 ?
Just a question as to whether they send username / password or whether
you have to log into the box(es) to extract this info (or call customer
services)

Cheers
Pete

It uses a MAC code which is printed on the router.
So you can use whichever router you want.

Old October 15th 08, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Has anyone used their own kit on Be or O2 ?

Lots.

http://www.beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php/Routers

Just a question as to whether they send username / password or whether
you have to log into the box(es) to extract this info (or call customer
services)

From the ADSL2FORUM.co.uk "General Be Network Settings for 'any' router"

Dynamic IP

Select ETHoA or Routed Ethernet over ATM or 1483 Briged connection
There is no login infomation required
Encapsulation : LLC
VPI : 0
VCI : 101
MTU: 1500

If you leave it 40 mins so that it gets a new DHCP lease, you don't need
to muck about duplicating the same MAC as the Be box.

BTW This is not a taboo subject on BE's own hosted forums. Look in their
"FAQ" section for the topic "All those wishing to an alternative to the
bebox"

--
Adrian C
Old October 15th 08, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Adrian C wrote:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Has anyone used their own kit on Be or O2 ?

Lots.

http://www.beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php/Routers

Just a question as to whether they send username / password or whether
you have to log into the box(es) to extract this info (or call customer
services)

From the ADSL2FORUM.co.uk "General Be Network Settings for 'any' router"

Dynamic IP

Select ETHoA or Routed Ethernet over ATM or 1483 Briged connection
There is no login infomation required
Encapsulation : LLC
VPI : 0
VCI : 101
MTU: 1500

If you leave it 40 mins so that it gets a new DHCP lease, you don't need
to muck about duplicating the same MAC as the Be box.

BTW This is not a taboo subject on BE's own hosted forums. Look in their
"FAQ" section for the topic "All those wishing to an alternative to the
bebox"

Brilliant.
Thanks Adrian.
I have my Be account going live tomorrow at work on BePro and O2 just
been signed up today for home both on static IP to save worrying about
my DynDNS derived VPN.

Both accounts are going to use Existing Draytek kit.
Cheers
Pete.
Old October 15th 08, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Ian wrote:

It uses a MAC code which is printed on the router.
So you can use whichever router you want.

Thanks Ian.

Should be a pretty straight forward job then.

Much apreciated.

Pete

Old October 16th 08, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Has anyone used their own kit on Be or O2 ?
Just a question as to whether they send username / password or whether
you have to log into the box(es) to extract this info (or call
customer services)

Just to add a little info that may be of use.
The O2 package comes with McAfee AV. If you want to use this, then there are
issues/problems with McAfee registration if you don't connect (during the
software install) with the O2 router. Google for it if you want more info.

Old October 16th 08, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike P

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Has anyone used their own kit on Be or O2 ?
Just a question as to whether they send username / password or whether
you have to log into the box(es) to extract this info (or call
customer services)

W've got BE here at work. I set it up with a Linksys box. Settings are on
the forum, or you can ring tech support and they'll gladly talk you through
setting up your own router for it.

HTH

Mike P

Old October 16th 08, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Mike P wrote:

W've got BE here at work. I set it up with a Linksys box. Settings are on
the forum, or you can ring tech support and they'll gladly talk you through
setting up your own router for it.

A bit of tinkering and twiddling and I'm there.
http://www.gymratz.co.uk/pete/line-stats.jpg
:)

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Old October 16th 08, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
A bit of tinkering and twiddling and I'm there.
http://www.gymratz.co.uk/pete/line-stats.jpg
:)

Hmmm... that's fast :-)

Might be worth asking to be moved onto the fastpath profile if that
19.6Mbit/s stays stable. How far is the exchange?

--
Adrian C
Old October 16th 08, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Adrian C wrote:

Might be worth asking to be moved onto the fastpath profile if that
19.6Mbit/s stays stable. How far is the exchange?

I have a line length of around 250m
After trying tests with my original modem (Draytek Vigor100) and only
acheiving around 1.5Mbps upload I put in a request for enabling Annex M
(for upload plus) and fastpath and 3db profile.
Subsequent testing with the BeBox showed the modem was the weak link, so
I now have the BeBox in bridged mode and I'm getting a very consistent
20 to 21Mbps down and 2.1Mbps up from speedtest.net.
Things may get better yet
;)