Bigfoot for life or Bigfoot for death

Old October 18th 08, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Bigfoot for life or Bigfoot for death

Having used the bigfoot-for-life free service for past 8? years, last
few months disastrous - I care not whose fault it is - I do care about
the amount of e-mail that I have lost - now writing to my contacts to
give them my direct address - appropriately it is with Tiscali at
screaming.net.
Old October 20th 08, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Chris Davies wrote:

Why not go any buy your own domain? Cost for *.uk is very approximately
10/year (often much less for first two years). You can then point the
domain at your current ISP. Tell everyone your new (domain name based)
address and you never need to worry about changing addresses again.

Easily.co.uk just 4.99 per year.

Even at 10 a year to be able to keep your same e-mail address with the
freedom to switch ISP suppliers at will is a no-brainer.

And just why anyone would want to rely on free e-mail providers and free
web-space is again something I am dumbfouned by especally when
web-hosting packages are so cheap and typically come with pop3 email,
enough disk space and bandwidth for most "light-commercial" use.

Pete
Old October 20th 08, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Yes, an excellent idea. An own domain can be obtained cheaply from a
hosting service, but as Chris points out, even more cheaply, even less
than a four-can of beer per year, as just a forwarding service.

I use both web-site and email forwarding, aka redirection.

For example, if you follow this URL that I give out for my creative
work ...
http://www.macfarlane.macfh.co.uk
.... you'll be redirected to the real site hosted by my ISP ...
http://www.cemh.eclipse.co.uk/Macfar...acfarlane.html
.... and this URL for my support work ...
http://www.javajive.macfh.co.uk/
.... is redirected to ...
http://www.cemh.eclipse.co.uk/JavaJive/JavaJive.html
.... (actually the redirections go to the framed versions of these
pages, but I'd rather the unframed versions be the ones picked up by
search-engine crawlers parsing this newsgroup!)

I do the same with email addresses, so that in my email headers the
'Reply-To' header is different from the 'From' header.

Compared to independent website and mail hosting, the pros and cons
+ If your ISP already supplies free web space and emails as part of
the package, it's a *minimal* extra annual cost;
- If you do change ISPs you have to do some work ...
1 At the new ISP, republish your site and set up new emails
2 Change website/email redirections at the forwarding site
... but at least you don't completely lose everything, or need to
go round all your contacts and registered websites giving them all new
contact details for you;
- You can't deep link via redirection - for example, this URL
(without the crawler killer spaces) ...
http: // www . macfarlane . macfh . co . uk / Poetry / Poetry.html
.... would not be redirected automatically to ...
http://www.cemh.eclipse.co.uk/Macfar...ry/Poetry.html
.... I'd have to set up a redirection for each individual page to
achieve this.

So, not suitable for a business, but fine for someone like myself.

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:24:03 +0100, Andrew Hodgson
wrote:

Does anyone know a free or cheap email provider that doesn't require
your own domain, and provides POP and SMTP authenticated access?