3G Mobile Broadband

Old October 19th 08, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

Default 3G Mobile Broadband

I tried out my Mobile Broadband dongle this weekend for the first time
away from home.

I did not have a very good 3G signal but it did switch occasionally to HSDPA.

It worked find on the web even when using a normal 3G connection but I
could not get it to receive mail properly using OUTLOOK. It might
download a few messages but often stuck on the first one. There was one
largish message so I set that to be deleted but it did not make any
difference.

Eventually I set the maximum message size to 1K, it download the few
messages that size but stuck again when I tried to increase the maximum
size.

I tried again this morning from the parked car in a location with a
strong 3G signal and no better.

Got home tonight and all messages downloaded normally and quickly on my
ADSL connection.

Any ideas?

MB
Old October 20th 08, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Eales

I have a similar problem with 3 mobile broadband. When downloading the
first 1Mb goes fast but then it stops. My USB modem stick is in for
'repair'.

Jonathan

Old October 20th 08, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

snip
Yeah, Mobile "Broadband" is ****, especially Three!
Old October 20th 08, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Jonathan Eales wrote:
I have a similar problem with 3 mobile broadband. When downloading the
first 1Mb goes fast but then it stops. My USB modem stick is in for
'repair'.

I had this some time ago,..with a flakey DSL connection. I simply set
thunderbird timeouts to hours not minutes.

Jonathan

Old October 20th 08, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Jonathan Eales wrote:
I have a similar problem with 3 mobile broadband. When downloading the
first 1Mb goes fast but then it stops. My USB modem stick is in for
'repair'.

I had this some time ago,..with a flakey DSL connection. I simply set
thunderbird timeouts to hours not minutes.

It has been suggested that the MTU setting is causing the problem, that
sounds quite likely but just waiting to find how to change.

In answer to to the unhelpful replies - a solid cable connection is
obviously better but is not practical when in a car, similarly a
telephone modem is of little use in the car and hotel WiFi charges can
be very expensive.

MB
Old October 20th 08, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Jonathan Eales wrote:
I have a similar problem with 3 mobile broadband. When downloading the
first 1Mb goes fast but then it stops. My USB modem stick is in for
'repair'.

I had this some time ago,..with a flakey DSL connection. I simply set
thunderbird timeouts to hours not minutes.

It has been suggested that the MTU setting is causing the problem, that
sounds quite likely but just waiting to find how to change.

Thats pretty easy on a computer.

Its in network settings, and is a property of the TCP/IP stack.

Often reducing it to under 1500 works on some oddities.

In the Bad Old Days we often used to go down to 512bytes or less.

Old October 20th 08, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

Jonathan Eales wrote:
I have a similar problem with 3 mobile broadband. When downloading the
first 1Mb goes fast but then it stops. My USB modem stick is in for
'repair'.

I had this some time ago,..with a flakey DSL connection. I simply set
thunderbird timeouts to hours not minutes.

It has been suggested that the MTU setting is causing the problem, that
sounds quite likely but just waiting to find how to change.

Thats pretty easy on a computer.

Its in network settings, and is a property of the TCP/IP stack.

Often reducing it to under 1500 works on some oddities.

In the Bad Old Days we often used to go down to 512bytes or less.

I will have a play late with the settings, I sent a message to 3 to see
if any suggestions so see what they say.

MB
Old October 20th 08, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Jonathan Eales wrote:
I have a similar problem with 3 mobile broadband. When downloading the
first 1Mb goes fast but then it stops. My USB modem stick is in for
'repair'.

I had this some time ago,..with a flakey DSL connection. I simply set
thunderbird timeouts to hours not minutes.

It has been suggested that the MTU setting is causing the problem, that
sounds quite likely but just waiting to find how to change.

Thats pretty easy on a computer.

Its in network settings, and is a property of the TCP/IP stack.

Often reducing it to under 1500 works on some oddities.

In the Bad Old Days we often used to go down to 512bytes or less.

I will have a play late with the settings, I sent a message to 3 to see
if any suggestions so see what they say.

What do they know?

Probably one guy somewhere knows, but you wont get him on the end.

MB

Old October 20th 08, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

Jonathan Eales wrote:
[...]

Just go through the system, they did ring back and say that passed on to
their technical people or at least I think that is what was said :=(

I asked them to EMail any solution rather than phone.

Huawei were very helpful with another problem that I had.

MB