Quick email question

Old October 21st 08, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnc

Default Quick email question

A friends PC was riddled with trojans and malware, so I collected it took it
to my house and spent yesterday evening getting rid of them. New AV software
installed and defragmented the drive, everything's running nicely again.

However the emails, the owners ISP is talktalk. It's set up for POP3 using
outlook express. At my house I can receive emails but I can't send. Been to
the talktalk website and all the OE/email settings are correct. Is this
because its set up for talktalk and my ISP is different (PlusNet) ?

TIA

--
John

Old October 21st 08, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

"George Weston" wrote in message
because its set up for talktalk and my ISP is different (PlusNet) ?

Yes

Yes again! :-)

Set your SMTP to relay.plus.net

--
J B

Old October 21st 08, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

J B wrote:
"George Weston" wrote in message
because its set up for talktalk and my ISP is different (PlusNet) ?

Yes

Yes again! :-)

Set your SMTP to relay.plus.net

And remember to set it back to TalkTalk's settings when returning the
machine !

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old October 21st 08, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

George Weston wrote:

"johnc" wrote

A friends PC was riddled with trojans and malware, so I collected it took
it to my house and spent yesterday evening getting rid of them. New AV
software installed and defragmented the drive, everything's running nicely
again.

However the emails, the owners ISP is talktalk. It's set up for POP3 using
outlook express. At my house I can receive emails but I can't send. Been
to the talktalk website and all the OE/email settings are correct. Is this
because its set up for talktalk and my ISP is different (PlusNet) ?

Yes

A variation on this theme.

I can't edit a neighbour's website I made for him, from my home because Tiscali
refuses my Idnet connection (because of IP address presumably) despite entering
the correct user name and password.

His second site hosted elsewhere poses no such problems.

Graham

Old October 21st 08, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Cliffe

Eeyore wrote:
George Weston wrote:

"johnc" wrote

A friends PC was riddled with trojans and malware, so I collected
it took it to my house and spent yesterday evening getting rid of
them. New AV software installed and defragmented the drive,
everything's running nicely again.

However the emails, the owners ISP is talktalk. It's set up for
POP3 using outlook express. At my house I can receive emails but I
can't send. Been to the talktalk website and all the OE/email
settings are correct. Is this because its set up for talktalk and
my ISP is different (PlusNet) ?

Yes

A variation on this theme.

I can't edit a neighbour's website I made for him, from my home
because Tiscali refuses my Idnet connection (because of IP address
presumably) despite entering the correct user name and password.

Quite common for mass market consumer ISP website provision.
BTInternet is the same, FTP connection must be from their access nodes.

His second site hosted elsewhere poses no such problems.

Normal "proper" hosting method.

- Nigel

Old October 21st 08, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnc

Yes

Yes again! :-)

Set your SMTP to relay.plus.net

And remember to set it back to TalkTalk's settings when returning the
machine !

Thanks all, that's what I thought but I wanted to be sure before returning
it.

--
John