decent NAS

Old October 22nd 08, 07:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Ric

Default decent NAS

Hi All,
I'm looking for a decent home NAS solution.
I want a small, low power box that I can run headless and do the
following:

* serve up network shares at 100mbit speeds, preferably via SMB and
AFP
* run a bittorrent client on
* run FTP
* has a simple web-based admin page
* can cope with multiple drives running either as RAID or JBOD.
* bonus points for being able to run Ebay sniping software on it
* VPN a bonus, too

Anyone got a suggestion for how to do this on a budget? All the home
power-user-nas boxes I've seen have been slightly lacking in some way
so personal recommendations a bonus.
Old October 23rd 08, 01:55 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Ric wrote:
Hi All,
I'm looking for a decent home NAS solution.
I want a small, low power box that I can run headless and do the
following:

* serve up network shares at 100mbit speeds, preferably via SMB and
AFP
* run a bittorrent client on
* run FTP
* has a simple web-based admin page
* can cope with multiple drives running either as RAID or JBOD.
* bonus points for being able to run Ebay sniping software on it
* VPN a bonus, too

Anyone got a suggestion for how to do this on a budget? All the home
power-user-nas boxes I've seen have been slightly lacking in some way
so personal recommendations a bonus.

On a budget, you have to likely do it yourself or try something
like OpenNAS.

Arno
Old October 23rd 08, 07:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:32:02 -0700 (PDT)
Ric wrote:

Hi All,
I'm looking for a decent home NAS solution.
I want a small, low power box that I can run headless and do the
following:

* serve up network shares at 100mbit speeds, preferably via SMB and
AFP
* run a bittorrent client on
* run FTP
* has a simple web-based admin page
* can cope with multiple drives running either as RAID or JBOD.
* bonus points for being able to run Ebay sniping software on it
* VPN a bonus, too

Anyone got a suggestion for how to do this on a budget? All the home
power-user-nas boxes I've seen have been slightly lacking in some way
so personal recommendations a bonus.

Linux with Webmin on a mini ITX box is the obvious solution, but I
think you'll have to get your hands dirty when it comes to setting it
up.

Old October 24th 08, 04:49 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

"Ric" wrote in message
Hi All,
I'm looking for a decent home NAS solution.
I want a small, low power box that I can run headless and do the
following:

* serve up network shares at 100mbit speeds, preferably via SMB and
AFP
* run a bittorrent client on
* run FTP
* has a simple web-based admin page
* can cope with multiple drives running either as RAID or JBOD.
* bonus points for being able to run Ebay sniping software on it
* VPN a bonus, too

Anyone got a suggestion for how to do this on a budget? All the home
power-user-nas boxes I've seen have been slightly lacking in some way
so personal recommendations a bonus.

Maybe worth looking for a HP Proliant ML115 server? In the 120 region when
I bought one, and a fully featured server. No OS/monitor, but i`d be
surprised if you got better value for money on anything else :-)

Old October 24th 08, 08:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 16:49:38 +0100
"Simon Finnigan" wrote:

"Ric" wrote in message
[...]

Not exactly a low power solution though, is it? :-)

Old October 25th 08, 10:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian C

Simon Finnigan wrote:
Maybe worth looking for a HP Proliant ML115 server? In the 120 region
when I bought one, and a fully featured server. No OS/monitor, but i`d
be surprised if you got better value for money on anything else :-)

You will have a struggle finding them in stock at this price now. Gone
up :-(

--
Adrian C
Old October 25th 08, 08:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Simon Finnigan wrote:
Maybe worth looking for a HP Proliant ML115 server? In the 120 region
when I bought one, and a fully featured server. No OS/monitor, but i`d
be surprised if you got better value for money on anything else :-)

You will have a struggle finding them in stock at this price now. Gone up
:-(

I got in at the right time, and love my machine. Currently running 4 x 1TB
drives in RAID 5 and is rock steady. Throws files round the network as fast
as I want, and plenty of processing power for when I need it!

Old October 25th 08, 08:03 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Not exactly a low power solution though, is it? :-)

Depends how low power he means. And if it could replace other boxes on his
network, like mine has done, it could work out to be a power saver. For
example, mine has replaced 4 external hard drives, each with its own power
supply than ran fairly warm 24/7. The new machine runs nice and cool, and
has allowed me to turn off another PC that used to run 24/7, so it`s
probably not far from breaking even power wise :-)

Old October 25th 08, 08:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Synapse Syndrome

Ric wrote:

Hi All,
I'm looking for a decent home NAS solution.
I want a small, low power box that I can run headless and do the
following:

* serve up network shares at 100mbit speeds, preferably via SMB and
AFP
* run a bittorrent client on
* run FTP
* has a simple web-based admin page
* can cope with multiple drives running either as RAID or JBOD.
* bonus points for being able to run Ebay sniping software on it
* VPN a bonus, too

Anyone got a suggestion for how to do this on a budget? All the home
power-user-nas boxes I've seen have been slightly lacking in some way
so personal recommendations a bonus.

I want to get one of these:

www.drobo.com

You need an addon to make it into a standalone NAS. I do not want to get on
those myself, and just want it to directly connect to a lightweight
file/web/ftp server.

ss.

Old October 27th 08, 12:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Ric

On 25 Oct, 09:52, Adrian C wrote:
Simon Finnigan wrote:
Maybe worth looking for a HP Proliant ML115 server? *In the 120 region
when I bought one, and a fully featured server. *No OS/monitor, but i`d
be surprised if you got better value for money on anything else :-)

You will have a struggle finding them in stock at this price now. Gone
up :-(

--
Adrian C

It's a minefield this one.
Ubuntu server'll do everything, with some buggering about, although
it's not going to give me a web interface that controls everything
like bittorrent all in one without some messing about.

FreeNAS looks great, does RAID1, does AFP to play nice with my macs
and Time Machine, doesn't do webdav
Openfiler does webdav (so I can get access to home resources from work
where FTP's blocked) but doesn't do AFP.

Argh.

Think I'm going to go FreeNAS and see how I get on, then move to
Ubuntu server.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty with hardware or software, but
this box is going to be on 24x7 so size/power/noise is a factor -
ideally a mini-ITX, passively-cooled system would do the job...

Not sure I need VPN - presumably Rsync would do the job to do an over-
the-internet sync to a mate running a similar setup?