IP numbers

Old October 23rd 08, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Retired

Default IP numbers

I'm considering changing my broadband package, and one of the options
available says:
"You get a dynamic IP by default, with free Static IP or a block of IPs if
you need it."
What are the pros/cons of either?
I have a web site, surf the web, use e-mail and very occasionally download a
TV program.
I'm thinking about Skype or similar
My present IP is dynamic, which instinct suggests could offer better
security (never the same place twice)
And what would I want a block of IPs for?
Any comments please.
B.
Old October 23rd 08, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Retired wrote:
I'm considering changing my broadband package, and one of the options
available says:
"You get a dynamic IP by default, with free Static IP or a block of IPs if
you need it."
What are the pros/cons of either?

If your IP gets banned from a particular forum or group or web-site for
whatever reason, with dynamic IP you can leave everything switched off
for an hour or 2 and get a new IP address.
With Static IP once somone blocks you you have no way round it.

Only going to make a difference if you abuse forums or chat rooms etc.

Some suggest a static IP is less prone to session dropping.
I have only found this a problem once in the last 10 years when a local
exchange problem insisted on re-freshing my dynamic IP every 5 minutes.
Eventually as a fix I was allocated a static IP and everything was fine.

If you don't know how a static IP address can benefit you you will not
benefit by having one.

It can be easier to set up VPN routes and stuff, but even that's simple
(within reason) to do using a free Dynamic DNS provider.

From a security perspective unless you shut down your modem every night
you'r dynamic IP address will remain the same anyway so that's not a
security benefit.

That's about it really.
I have sucessfully run a VPN between home and business with both
accounts having dynamic IP addresses without any problem at all.

If it's included free then I'd be temted to take it anyway.
Unless you are planning on spamming chat rooms and forums.
:¬)

Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Old October 23rd 08, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:07:43 UTC, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

If your IP gets banned from a particular forum or group or web-site for
whatever reason, with dynamic IP you can leave everything switched off
for an hour or 2 and get a new IP address.

If someone else does just that, you may end up with the banned address!

My ISP gives you as many free static IPs as required...!

--
Bob Eager
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:

Old October 23rd 08, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Bob Eager wrote:

If someone else does just that, you may end up with the banned address!

My ISP gives you as many free static IPs as required...!

There is a point I guess, but I would think the chances of that are
beyond slim.

:¬)

Old October 23rd 08, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

"You get a dynamic IP by default, with free Static IP or a block of IPs if
you need it."
What are the pros/cons of either?
I have a web site,

Hosted on your own server?
Use P2P?
Are you of any interest to the security services or paedo
chasers?
Online game player?
Old October 24th 08, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Retired" wrote in message
et...
I'm considering changing my broadband package, and one of the options
available says:
"You get a dynamic IP by default, with free Static IP or a block of IPs if
you need it."
What are the pros/cons of either?
I have a web site, surf the web, use e-mail and very occasionally download
a TV program.
I'm thinking about Skype or similar
My present IP is dynamic, which instinct suggests could offer better
security (never the same place twice)
And what would I want a block of IPs for?
Any comments please.

LAN to LAN VPN's are easier to set up with a static address at both ends.

Remote management of routers is possible if you have a static IP address -
good if you support customers.

If you run a mail server and want to receive mail by SMTP then a static IP
address is essential. But it follows that the mail server should run 24/7
and be supported by a UPS. Clearly only relevant for a business, I think.

If you want to run other servers that are publicly available, then each of
those servers might benefit from having its own public IP address.

So a static IP has its place, but probably not for you.

--
Graham J

Old October 24th 08, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham J wrote:
"Retired" wrote in message
et...
[...]

I have a static IP address.

It means its trivial to run a website - in fact several - here, cheaply.
It means I can use that static IP address in fixed rule firewalls to
access a few other sites I maintain.
It means I can develop even greater levels of access to some sites also
on static IPs. My V: drive is 65 miles away for example. Slow, but usable.

With modern NAT routing, there is very little reason to have a block of
IP addresses unless you are running a whole block of internet facing
servers.
Old October 24th 08, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Graham J" wrote in message

"Retired" wrote in message
et...
[...]

I find that the Dynamic DNS service supported by my router means that I can
always find its IP address.

--
Michael Chare

Old October 24th 08, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mrme

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:51:52 +0100, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

I'm considering changing my broadband package, and one of the options
available says:
"You get a dynamic IP by default, with free Static IP or a block of IPs
if you need it."
What are the pros/cons of either?
I have a web site, surf the web, use e-mail and very occasionally
download a TV program.
I'm thinking about Skype or similar
My present IP is dynamic, which instinct suggests could offer better
security (never the same place twice)
And what would I want a block of IPs for?
Any comments please.

If you have a block of IP's your name will appear in whois for
everyone to see.
Old October 24th 08, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

[snip]

LAN to LAN VPN's are easier to set up with a static address at both ends.

Remote management of routers is possible if you have a static IP
address - good if you support customers.

If you run a mail server and want to receive mail by SMTP then a static
IP address is essential. But it follows that the mail server should run
24/7 and be supported by a UPS. Clearly only relevant for a business, I
think.

If you want to run other servers that are publicly available, then each
of those servers might benefit from having its own public IP address.

So a static IP has its place, but probably not for you.

I find that the Dynamic DNS service supported by my router means that I
can always find its IP address.

True, and useful as far as it goes ...

--
Graham J