voip and video over private lan

Old October 24th 08, 10:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.voip
tg

Default voip and video over private lan

I'm looking for advice about what software packages are available for
voice-and-video communications over a private lan. The thing about msn
and skype is they're good but they use the internet - you have to log in
to an external WAN serverand I wanted the same type of thing but
completely contained within my own LAN. Is there any software for this?
I'd also appreciate tips on hardware devices that might do the same
thing. I have a cisco router and I know about cisco voip phones but they
don't do video. Thanks for any pointers.

Old October 24th 08, 12:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
tg wrote:
I'm looking for advice about what software packages are available for
voice-and-video communications over a private lan. The thing about msn
and skype is they're good but they use the internet - you have to log in
to an external WAN serverand I wanted the same type of thing but
completely contained within my own LAN. Is there any software for this?
I'd also appreciate tips on hardware devices that might do the same
thing. I have a cisco router and I know about cisco voip phones but they
don't do video. Thanks for any pointers.

The Asterisk software PBX handles video and voice and there are many
video phones and soft-video phones that work well with it. I've tried
the Grandstream GXV3000 and ATL400 video phones and X-lite (eyebeam)
and Ekiga soft-phones with it.

Having the PBX in-house means all the data stays in-house (on the same
LAN), although it's more than capable of being used to bridge multiple
sites together over the Internet.

If you don't want to build your own asterisk system, there
are many pre-built systems out there - eg. have a look at
http://www.drogon.net/dsx/ but I do have a vested interest in that
particular one!

Gordon
Old October 24th 08, 01:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.voip
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Gordon Henderson wrote:

If you don't want to build your own asterisk system, there
are many pre-built systems out there - eg. have a look at
http://www.drogon.net/dsx/ but I do have a vested interest in that
particular one!

In the quest for pictures I followed a link to your watertower blog.
:)

I like blogs like that.
Informative and interesting with an injection of humanism.
http://watertower.drogon.net/notes/

I'll plug it for you Gordon then no-one can get upity.
:)

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Old October 24th 08, 01:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:

If you don't want to build your own asterisk system, there
are many pre-built systems out there - eg. have a look at
http://www.drogon.net/dsx/ but I do have a vested interest in that
particular one!

In the quest for pictures I followed a link to your watertower blog.
:)

I like blogs like that.
Informative and interesting with an injection of humanism.
http://watertower.drogon.net/notes/

I'll plug it for you Gordon then no-one can get upity.
:)

Cheers!

I started it more out of curiosity than anything else - I have a client
who runs/creates/manages wordpress blogs for his clients, so thought I'd
have a look at WP and see what all this blogging stuff was all about!

Half way down the page is an article on video phones. Been using
Grandstreams for a while now - relative in Orkney is about to have a baby,
so they have one, we have one and in-laws (her parents) will get one
as a present when baby is born - I've never been convinced about video
phones myself - the technology is there and workable, but ... Anyway,
I think the social/domestic environment is a good place for them though -
soon my in-laws will be able to see new grandchild 1000 miles away!

WP does seem quite versatile - my wife uses it now to record all her
travels and photos and so on...

Gordon
Old October 24th 08, 10:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.voip
tg

"Mike Scott" wrote in
message ...
tg wrote:

netmeeting?

ah yes of course Mike, thanks very much.
why didn't I think of that?

Old October 24th 08, 10:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.voip
tg

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message

The Asterisk software PBX handles video and voice and there are many
video phones and soft-video phones that work well with it. I've tried
the Grandstream GXV3000 and ATL400 video phones and X-lite (eyebeam)
and Ekiga soft-phones with it.

Having the PBX in-house means all the data stays in-house (on the same
LAN), although it's more than capable of being used to bridge multiple
sites together over the Internet.

If you don't want to build your own asterisk system, there
are many pre-built systems out there - eg. have a look at
http://www.drogon.net/dsx/ but I do have a vested interest in that
particular one!

ok Gordon thanks for your response.

Old October 25th 08, 10:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.voip
Mike Scott

tg wrote:
"Mike Scott" wrote in
message ...
tg wrote:
netmeeting?

ah yes of course Mike, thanks very much.
why didn't I think of that?

'Cos it doesn't come with vista? and isn't supposed to run under vista
home either, apparently. AIUI there is a workaround though (flag the
entire nm install package as NT4 compatibility mode and then install).
I'm almost sure I saw something compatible called gnomemeeting, although
I assume this is only for linux.

Why is it that the h.323 design committee didn't seem to have a half
clue about firewalls?

Old October 25th 08, 01:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Mike Scott wrote:
tg wrote:
"Mike Scott" wrote in
message ...
tg wrote:
netmeeting?

ah yes of course Mike, thanks very much.
why didn't I think of that?

'Cos it doesn't come with vista? and isn't supposed to run under vista
home either, apparently. AIUI there is a workaround though (flag the
entire nm install package as NT4 compatibility mode and then install).
I'm almost sure I saw something compatible called gnomemeeting, although
I assume this is only for linux.

Why is it that the h.323 design committee didn't seem to have a half
clue about firewalls?

That & SIP probably designed before NAT was popular... )-:

Gordon
Old October 25th 08, 01:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns

Gordon Henderson wrote:

That & SIP probably designed before NAT was popular... )-:

NAT may be commonplace, but it's rarely popular.