Looking for advice on tiscali and BT land line

Old October 24th 08, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ANTIQCOOL

Default Looking for advice on tiscali and BT land line

I would like to sign up with Tiscali broadband phone package....9.99
for the first three months then 14.99 thereafter including line rental
which I think is reasonable.
I used to have a BT line which I had disconnected some years back. To
have it reconnected would cost me 125.00 but in order to do so I would
also have to take out a twelve month line rental contract with BT as
well as paying Tiscali.

I spoke to BT and they advised me to get reconnected through Tiscali to
avoid having to pay twice for the same line. Tiscali have told me to get
connected through BT??
Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Thank you for your time
Pete

--
ANTIQCOOL
Old October 24th 08, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:46:51 +0100, ANTIQCOOL
wrote:

I would like to sign up with Tiscali broadband phone package....9.99
for the first three months then 14.99 thereafter including line rental
which I think is reasonable.
I used to have a BT line which I had disconnected some years back. To
have it reconnected would cost me 125.00 but in order to do so I would
also have to take out a twelve month line rental contract with BT as
well as paying Tiscali.

I spoke to BT and they advised me to get reconnected through Tiscali to
avoid having to pay twice for the same line. Tiscali have told me to get
connected through BT??
Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Thank you for your time
Pete

Tiscali could connect it if they wanted to, however they would rather
take over a current working line as that only costs them 2.35 and not
the 104 it costs for them to get a new line in.

Maybe take this as a good warning to avoid Tiscali.

--
TV Catchup.com is back online.
http://www.tvcatchup.com/?member=BexTech
Old October 24th 08, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"ANTIQCOOL" wrote in message

I would like to sign up with Tiscali broadband phone package....9.99
for the first three months then 14.99 thereafter including line rental
which I think is reasonable.
I used to have a BT line which I had disconnected some years back. To
have it reconnected would cost me 125.00 but in order to do so I would
also have to take out a twelve month line rental contract with BT as
well as paying Tiscali.

I spoke to BT and they advised me to get reconnected through Tiscali to
avoid having to pay twice for the same line. Tiscali have told me to get
connected through BT??
Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Thank you for your time
Pete

--
ANTIQCOOL

Avoid Tiscali at all costs, terrible company to deal with. They restrict
peer2peer
traffic, restrict youtube in the evening, cut off the access to competitors
news servers
and block CH4OD and BBCi. Engineering staff appear unqualified as they seem
useless because they have the same repeated problems each week. The only
way to
have anything dealt with and speak with someone that can communicate clearly
in
English is to log a complaint with www.ispa.org.uk - if you don't do that
then Tiscali
will fob you off as they are doing now. Take this as a very early warning.

Old October 24th 08, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

ANTIQCOOL wrote:
I would like to sign up with Tiscali broadband phone package.

Well there's no accounting for taste, is there?

...9.99
for the first three months then 14.99 thereafter including line rental
which I think is reasonable.
I used to have a BT line which I had disconnected some years back. To
have it reconnected would cost me 125.00 but in order to do so I would
also have to take out a twelve month line rental contract with BT as
well as paying Tiscali.

I spoke to BT and they advised me to get reconnected through Tiscali to
avoid having to pay twice for the same line. Tiscali have told me to get
connected through BT??
Can anyone suggest an alternative?

use tisali to get connected, and dump them as son as you can.

Thank you for your time
Pete

Old October 24th 08, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike P

"ANTIQCOOL" wrote in message

I would like to sign up with Tiscali

Don't. Just don't.

Mike P

Old October 24th 08, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pigeon

"ANTIQCOOL" wrote in message

I would like to sign up with Tiscali

Please don't under any circumstances. I've never delt with a worse company.

Old October 24th 08, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

wrote:

[...]

A neighbour of mine had 2 months of pure hell with Tiscali when they took
over his BT line. Simply not working half the time. Incompetent customer
service telling straight lies etc. And they NEVER return calls despite
promises to.

It nearly drove him up the wall and he was left only with his mobile as a
phone.

Would you ?

Graham

Old October 25th 08, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Eeyore laid this down on his screen :
A neighbour of mine had 2 months of pure hell with Tiscali when they took
over his BT line. Simply not working half the time. Incompetent customer
service telling straight lies etc. And they NEVER return calls despite
promises to.

Customer service is truly abysmal and they nearly drove us nuts trying
to upgrade our service from basic BB, to BB plus line - Christmas all
the way through to April. The actual connection was pretty faultless
before the change in service and has remained so since the change. We
have faultless speed all the time and no phone troubles.

It nearly drove him up the wall and he was left only with his mobile as a
phone.

He has my sympathy.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old October 25th 08, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"ANTIQCOOL" wrote in message

I would like to sign up with Tiscali broadband phone package....9.99
for the first three months then 14.99 thereafter including line rental
which I think is reasonable.
I used to have a BT line which I had disconnected some years back. To
have it reconnected would cost me 125.00 but in order to do so I would
also have to take out a twelve month line rental contract with BT as
well as paying Tiscali.

I spoke to BT and they advised me to get reconnected through Tiscali to
avoid having to pay twice for the same line. Tiscali have told me to get
connected through BT??
Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Thank you for your time
Pete

What everyone else has said - don't do it!
Anyway, BT may have left all the wiring in place when they disconnected your
phone, so you might well find you only have to pay a reconnection fee. Why
not ask them? It might just need a jumper connecting in the exchange.
There can be problems associated with getting ISPs to take over your phone
line (especially the likes of Tiscali!).
I wouldn't do it, even though my ISP (Plusnet) offers a reasonable home
phone package.
I've stayed with BT for my phone line and have found that this has certain
advantages when it comes to fault-reporting and getting things fixed
reasonably quickly. They are geared up for this sort of thing, unlike many
ISPs, who just want to get you tied into a phone+broadband contract, which
may be difficult to get out of if you find you don't like it.
It's another story altogether regarding BT as an ISP though - high charges,
call centre in India, etc. That's why I moved my broadband away from BT.

George

Old October 25th 08, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Ato_Zee" wrote in message

I've stayed with BT for my phone line and have found that this has
certain
advantages when it comes to fault-reporting and getting things fixed

Like you can often start off by reporting an intermittent, could be
weather related, line fault.

Indeedy -or:
"Your engineers were in our village today and have pinched my pair for
someone else. Get them back here pronto!"
(This has happened a couple of times to me)

George