Internal connections on Sky Sagem router

Old October 26th 08, 04:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Newman

Default Internal connections on Sky Sagem router

I've just moved from Virgin to Sky and am a little confused by the
behaviour of my new Sagem Sky router.

I have two computers connected to the router, one running linux, the
other in XP.
I run a web server on the linux machine, and have set up port 80
forwarding in the router to that machine accordingly.

If I'm away from home and put:
http://myWANipadress
into a browser, I see my apache pages being served. Great.

However, if I put:
http://myWANipadress
into my browser on my XP machine, on the LAN, I get taken to the
router's setup web interface. I can't view the web pages being served
by the linux machine on my LAN.

The same is true for my sshd server. I can connect from friend's
houses, but I can't connect from within my own home!

The system worked fine on my old cable router - it must be a config
issue on the Sky router.

What am I doing wrong here?

--
-Toby
Old October 26th 08, 09:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:41:22 +0000, Toby Newman wrote:

I've just moved from Virgin to Sky and am a little confused by the
behaviour of my new Sagem Sky router.

I have two computers connected to the router, one running linux, the
other in XP.
I run a web server on the linux machine, and have set up port 80
forwarding in the router to that machine accordingly.

If I'm away from home and put:
http://myWANipadress
into a browser, I see my apache pages being served. Great.

However, if I put:
http://myWANipadress
into my browser on my XP machine, on the LAN, I get taken to the
router's setup web interface. I can't view the web pages being served
by the linux machine on my LAN.

The same is true for my sshd server. I can connect from friend's
houses, but I can't connect from within my own home!

Since you set up its port forwarding you know the LAN address of your Linux
server. Use that address from your XP machine, eg: http://192.168.0.10
etc.

The system worked fine on my old cable router - it must be a config
issue on the Sky router.

What am I doing wrong here?

Your cable server was redirecting local traffic according to the inward
filter rules but your Sagem does not do that. Both behaviours are valid.

Tony
Old October 27th 08, 02:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Newman

On 2008-10-26, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
[...]

Thanks. It's a little annoying because if I want to access my local
server from a wireless device I need to have two sets of settings for
home and away. I wonder if there's any way to work around this?

--
-Toby
Old October 27th 08, 02:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:00:02 +0000, Toby Newman wrote:

On 2008-10-26, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
[...]

If you were to access your network by name, and that may involve getting a
free DynDNS account, then you could solve this with an entry into the hosts
file in your XP machine. But I believe by using http://myWANipadress you
are pretty well stuffed so long as you stick with that router.

BTW Sky Broadband gave me a Netgear DG834GT gateway wireless router which
behaves like your cable router in this regard and would do what you want.

Tony