Opinions on O2 16mb deal

Old October 26th 08, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gp

Default Opinions on O2 16mb deal

A tenner for a 16meg line seems tempting... plus extra moneyback through
cashback sites makes it even sweeter.

Just wondering if anyone has this package or a similar? How long do they
take to hook you up and running?

Ta

Old October 27th 08, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

gp wrote:
A tenner for a 16meg line seems tempting... plus extra moneyback through
cashback sites makes it even sweeter.

Just wondering if anyone has this package or a similar? How long do they
take to hook you up and running?

Just taken up both a Be* and an O2 account.
My main gripe about O2 compared to Be is they are more "restrictive"
when it comes to more advanced features.
Biggest problem for me was it was much harder to switch the O2 box to
bridged mode whereas Be box was a doddle.
Also service profiles are user-changeable with Be. O2 you get what you get.
Saying that both perform impecably.
V V Happy customer for both.
Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Old October 27th 08, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew MacPherson

(John) wrote:

there's no reason whatsoever why you
should have been stuck at 120kbps before

Which is why I dumped Pipex as soon as I could! Tech support wouldn't investigate
because I was getting more than the guaranteed minimum. Not their fault, they were
just following their call centre rules. I knew it'd be something daft, because I
was syncing at 8000+ every time, but nothing changed at all when I moved from the
1Mb to 8Mb package. I got tired of paying for phone calls to try and explain that.

I could've probably have pushed harder, but once I realised o2 were at my exchange
I just waited patiently until my renewed Pipex contract was finished.

Don't get mad, get even. In this case, even faster broadband for the same money. :-

Andrew McP

Old October 27th 08, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew MacPherson

pment (www.GymRatZ.co.uk) wrote:

Also service profiles are user-changeable with Be. O2 you get what
you get. Saying that both perform impecably.

In the end I'm half ashamed to admit I chose o2 rather than Be because I prefer the
o2 email address. And the Be website gets on my nerves. Mind you, the o2 'houses'
aren't much better. :-) Be does seem to be the better package for enthusiasts
though.

I'm pretty simple in my broadband needs though. I just want it to work. :-) However
it is very nice to be able to download files in a fraction of the time (from most
sites anyway).

Andrew McP

Old October 28th 08, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Andrew MacPherson wrote:
(John) wrote:

there's no reason whatsoever why you
should have been stuck at 120kbps before

Which is why I dumped Pipex as soon as I could! Tech support wouldn't
investigate because I was getting more than the guaranteed minimum.
Not their fault, they were just following their call centre rules. I
knew it'd be something daft, because I was syncing at 8000+ every
time, but nothing changed at all when I moved from the 1Mb to 8Mb
package. I got tired of paying for phone calls to try and explain
that.

I could've probably have pushed harder, but once I realised o2 were
at my exchange I just waited patiently until my renewed Pipex
contract was finished.

Don't get mad, get even. In this case, even faster broadband for the
same money. :-

Yeah, but you said:

***The 2.1Mb/s I get from some sites is really spoiling me!***

and you also said:

***When the O2 service starts to get more clogged (as happens to them all
eventually, no matter how well they start out) I'll be heartbroken.***

which is making me think (unless I'm reading it wrong) that you're still not
getting above 2.1mbps, even though your exchange is really close - like I
said, I get an actual download speed of between about 6.5 and 7.2mbps.

Old October 28th 08, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew MacPherson

(John) wrote:

which is making me think (unless I'm reading it wrong) that you're
still not getting above 2.1mbps,

Sorry, I said Mb/s, not mbps. A bit confusing perhaps; my fault. I can assure you
there is nothing shabby about a top download speed of 2.1Mb/s. :-)

Andrew McP

Old October 28th 08, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:27:00, Andrew MacPherson
wrote:

(John) wrote:

which is making me think (unless I'm reading it wrong) that you're
still not getting above 2.1mbps,

Sorry, I said Mb/s,

Mega-bits per second, a standard measure.

not mbps.

milli-bits per second, whatever they are...

A bit confusing perhaps; my fault. I can assure you
there is nothing shabby about a top download speed of 2.1Mb/s. :-)

Did you mean MB/s (Mega-Bytes per second) perhaps?

--
Jim Crowther
Old October 29th 08, 07:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew MacPherson

(Jim Crowther) wrote:

Did you mean MB/s (Mega-Bytes per second) perhaps?

I picked the wrong group to be an amateur in, didn't I. I've always dealt in bytes
rather than bits, and it was only when talking about ADSL that I've ever had to
contemplate bits.

Previously I've always used kb/s for bytes and kbps for bits. I just extended that
to the mega world. As for the M/m distinction... well, in the absence of such a
thing as a milli-bit I think it's safe to assume I meant mega. Nevertheless, I
consider myself re-educated. :-)

Andrew McP