Rate Adaptive?

Old October 27th 08, 12:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
meddler

Default Rate Adaptive?

Needed an extension of my line that had to be run externally (using the
correct cable, etc)

Socket is NTE5, surface mounted, with BT cable entering through the house
wall.

Although I made the extension connection via IDC, it was still necessary
to disconnect the live pair and pull the BT cable back through the hole in
order to enlarge the hole and feed the new extension cable through.

No problems, everything back and working - but my broadband speed has more
than halved (DSL Max)

Used to be about 2Mb -2.5Mb, now around 1Mb.

Checked the connections, all OK - my first thought is that I've upset the
BRAS profile by rendering the live pair open circuit while I did the
necessary with the drill.

Does this sound reasonable? - and can I expect it to re-profile and return
the speed to 2.5Mb in a couple of days?

Router says sync speed is about 3.5 Mb, which is about the same as it's
always - so, have I overlooked anything, or is it just a case of waiting for
the exchange to settle down again?

Old October 27th 08, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
198kHz

"meddler" wrote in message

Router says sync speed is about 3.5 Mb, which is about the same as
it's always - so, have I overlooked anything, or is it just a case of
waiting for the exchange to settle down again?

If your sync speed is 'normal' then yes, it's just a case of waiting.

Old October 27th 08, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

Needed an extension of my line that had to be run externally (using the
correct cable, etc)

Had my router on an extension of the correct cable, moving the router
next to the NTE5 and keeping the PSU at its cable length from the
router doubled my speed.
Only thing I can think of is that the extension cable went between
floors alongside the mains wiring between floors.
I think energy saving lamps have a two power transistor high frequency
switching inverter that may have been putting noise on the house
wiring.
I used the extension wiring as a draw wire to pull in CAT5,
from two router ports to the upper floor, all came good.
You may come good by waiting for a week to 10 days. If
it doesn't then eliminate the extension by moving the router
back to the NTE5 as a test.If you do this you may still
have to wait for the DSLAM to recognise the new condition.
Only way I've found to force the issue is to connect a
totally different modem/router, I have three, sensing
different hardware, Draytek Vigor, BT 240, or LinkSys
seems to strart things off from square one with the DSLAM's
default SNR.
Old October 27th 08, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

198kHz wrote:

"meddler" wrote

Router says sync speed is about 3.5 Mb, which is about the same as
it's always - so, have I overlooked anything, or is it just a case of
waiting for the exchange to settle down again?

If your sync speed is 'normal' then yes, it's just a case of waiting.

Agreed. Sounds like a case of just unlucky, or maybe breaking the pair
causes some kind of reset ?

Graham

Old October 27th 08, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
meddler

"Ato_Zee" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks.

The speed has now picked up to about 80% of the former connection - so,
hopefully, another day or so should see it restored.

The router is (as before) connected to the master socket, not the extension
(which was just for phone & fax)

We had two phone lines - one was installed 8 years ago when the house was
built - nice and neat, with flush extension sockets, but never got more than
1Mb out of it. I think that the builders cobbled up the internal phone
wiring when they installed it.

We had a second line installed about 4 years ago - this time, the BT
engineer took a feed from the external junction box and cabled around the
house, entering through the wall to a surface mounted NTE5. This gave us
3Mb at the main computer, and 2.5Mb at mine (wired ethernet) I can only
assume that bypassing the builder's wiring made it faster.

Until recently we kept both lines, the new one carrying the ADSL and the
'old' one for voice & fax. However, needing to cut costs, we gave up the
original line and just kept the 'new' one because of the faster ADSL.
Hence the need for the extension socket to provide phone and fax in my
study.

I am considering on the NTE5 plates with a built in filter - any advantage,
do you think, considering that the router is already connected to the master
socket via a short lead?

The SNR has never been wonderful (average 12) but the line is very stable
and the 2.5 MB constant (before my extension wiring We're about 3 KM
from the exchange - so the speed is never going to really fly.

I'm wondering whether the line is picking up electrical noise, and whether a
filtered plate would boost the SNR?

Old October 27th 08, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Weston

In article , says...

I am considering on the NTE5 plates with a built in filter - any advantage,
do you think, considering that the router is already connected to the master
socket via a short lead?

Yes, IME. The best installation has a master socket faceplace replaced
with a faceplate filter, e.g.
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php. This keeps the ADSL
signal off your in-house phone wiring, assuming it is correctly wired.
You may also need to make sure the modem/router is connected via a short
lead, or a good, twisted-pair type to reduce any noise picked up on this
cable, e.g.
http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/ca...o.php?cPath=21
&products_id=121
Some modem/router power supply cables are also prone to picking up
noise.

I'm wondering whether the line is picking up electrical noise, and whether a
filtered plate would boost the SNR?

Probably, see above.

--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Old October 27th 08, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Livingston

Eeyore wrote:

198kHz wrote:

"meddler" wrote
Router says sync speed is about 3.5 Mb, which is about the same as
it's always - so, have I overlooked anything, or is it just a case of
waiting for the exchange to settle down again?

If your sync speed is 'normal' then yes, it's just a case of waiting.

Agreed. Sounds like a case of just unlucky, or maybe breaking the pair
causes some kind of reset ?

Graham

If I disconnect the router from the line, on reconnect it retrains to a
15dB target SNR. Every time. (The target I get on a normal resync is 10dB).
If I then force a reset of the ADSL link via the router command line, it
resyncs at the normal 10dB.

Conclusions -

On a complete loss of carrier, the DSLAM goes to worst case target SNR
(15dB).
It looks like there are two conditions that the DSLAM will respond to as
far as line errors go. A complete loss seems to be treated more
drastically in terms of target SNR than noise bursts/errors and
requested resyncs.

John