Got my new Netgear DG834G but problems

Old October 27th 08, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

Default Got my new Netgear DG834G but problems

I asked about a good router a while ago and this morning bought the Netgear
one. Seemed to get it going easy but whilst my laptop immediately went
wireless and online my PC, in the same room, will not. The error box says: -

"Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no
longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try
to connect again".

Any thoughts would be good as both laptop and PC in the same room within 3
metres of router and router connected to master socket. As I test I
reconnected my old Belkin router and it worked straight away - confused - I
am!!!

Ken

Old October 27th 08, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message
I asked about a good router a while ago and this morning bought the Netgear
one. Seemed to get it going easy but whilst my laptop immediately went
wireless and online my PC, in the same room, will not. The error box
says: -

"Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no
longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try
to connect again".

Any thoughts would be good as both laptop and PC in the same room within 3
metres of router and router connected to master socket. As I test I
reconnected my old Belkin router and it worked straight away - confused -
I am!!!

Ken

plug the network cable from the PC in to the Netgear, switch off wireless on
your PC
temporarily. open Internet Explorer or other browser and type in -

192.168.0.1 and hit return
Enter the user name which I think is admin and the password that you changed
your
access one to when you set the router up. That will allow you in to the
main setup
pages. It does need changing if you haven't already!
Go to the wireless settings and type in your WPA or WPA2 code you currently
have set in the other router. This makes it easier to just change routers
without
having to mess about with the wireless network settings on the computer.
Make sure the name of your network or SSID is the same as the other router
too.
Go to the ADSL settings and give it your connection details, it could either
be
a user name and password from your ISP or a MAC number. To use a MAC
you just click "use this mac" and type it in. Leave the user name and
password
blank if using a MAC number.

Once that is done the computer will not know you have changed the old router
for
the new one. The new one will have the same name/SSID and WPA/WPA2 code and
the ADSL access to the ISP will be the same.

Click APPLY, restart the router and take the network cable out. Then enable
the
wireless stuff on the PC and once the router has started up, the PC will see
it
and try to connect. Providing it has the same name/SSID and WPA/WPA2 code,
it will connect up no problem.

The only other way to sort it is to delete the current wireless network,
then
wait for it to appear in the list - you need to click on the wireless
network icon
and then click on your network, press connect and enter the WPA/WPA2 code.

If none of that works then you're either not doing it right or have a faulty
router!
You don't need to use the setup CD, that confuses people.

Old October 27th 08, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

Ken wrote:
I asked about a good router a while ago and this morning bought the Netgear
one. Seemed to get it going easy but whilst my laptop immediately went
wireless and online my PC, in the same room, will not. The error box says: -

"Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no
longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try
to connect again".

Any thoughts would be good as both laptop and PC in the same room within 3
metres of router and router connected to master socket. As I test I
reconnected my old Belkin router and it worked straight away - confused - I
am!!!

Not really, it's MS windows :-) still - open a command window (run -
cmd) and type
ipconfig /all
and compare the laptop and desktop responses. By default, "dhcp enabled"
will be "yes". If it is not, then you will need to go into the
connection settings and either enable dhcp or change the fixed IP
address to one that is compatible with the Netgear (assuming it is not
already).

You could also use the "ipconfig" command with the Belkin to check
differences.

I have also seen problems with Netgear Access Points where using the
manufacturers software to control the PC wireless interface causes a
failure to get an address by dhcp (using the built-in windows control
software cured that), but that was with laptops :-(

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old October 27th 08, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message
I asked about a good router a while ago and this morning bought the Netgear
one. Seemed to get it going easy but whilst my laptop immediately went
wireless and online my PC, in the same room, will not. The error box
says: -

"Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no
longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try
to connect again".

Any thoughts would be good as both laptop and PC in the same room within 3
metres of router and router connected to master socket. As I test I
reconnected my old Belkin router and it worked straight away - confused -
I am!!!

Ken

Thanks you two so much for taking so much trouble to give such full
replies. Earlier I called Netgear Tech Support who were superb and talked me
right through - not giving up on me - and now working. I think it was to do
with my Norton Antivirus whereas on my Laptop it is AVG.

Again thanks

Ken