Opinions on O2 16mb deal

Old October 29th 08, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew MacPherson

Default Opinions on O2 16mb deal

(John) wrote:

but I still reckon 2.1 whatevers are low for you if you
live very close to the exchange

I got a maximum of ~5.5kbytes/s with a 56k modem. :-)
I got ~60kbytes/s downloads with 512k ASDL
I got ~120kbytes/s with 1megabit Pipex ADSL
I got ~120kbytes/s with 8megabit Pipex ADSL (spot the deliberate mistake!)
I now get 2.1megabytes/s (peak) with 20megabit O2.

2.1megabytes is what, 2150kbytes/s... which is roughly 18x faster than with the
1megabit ADSL. So I think it's pretty close to optimal.

Even if it's not, I've very happy, and increasingly spoiled! :-)

Andrew McP

Old October 29th 08, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Andrew MacPherson wrote:
(John) wrote:

but I still reckon 2.1 whatevers are low for you if you
live very close to the exchange

I got a maximum of ~5.5kbytes/s with a 56k modem. :-)
I got ~60kbytes/s downloads with 512k ASDL
I got ~120kbytes/s with 1megabit Pipex ADSL
I got ~120kbytes/s with 8megabit Pipex ADSL (spot the deliberate
mistake!)
I now get 2.1megabytes/s (peak) with 20megabit O2.

2.1megabytes is what, 2150kbytes/s... which is roughly 18x faster
than with the 1megabit ADSL. So I think it's pretty close to optimal.

Even if it's not, I've very happy, and increasingly spoiled! :-)

Well Andrew, if you're happy with it my friend, then that's fair enough. But
do you not get frustrated that there's a problem * with something somewhere*
and that it could be even better than it is now?

Old October 29th 08, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew MacPherson

(John) wrote:

A back injury forced me into medical retirement and the constant pain
makes my brain fuddled

You have my deepest sympathy. After 19 years in a very physical job I and my back
are barely on speaking terms. My last bad episode was only sixteen days ago, and I
could barely walk for a week or so before all the usual 'tricks' started to have an
effect.

If I had any sense whatsoever (which I clearly haven't) I'd be finding something my
spine was happier with before I end up in the same position as yourself!

Anyway, it was an interesting exchange. I learned something in the process. :-)

Andrew McP