D A N G E R ! : Another BT Hidden Charge

Old October 31st 08, 08:36 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Turk182

Default D A N G E R ! : Another BT Hidden Charge

Watch out BT Internet users. Those masters of disguise BT have washed
in with some more billing alterations on the sneak. Emails to BT
Interent customers make no mention of the detail, but refer you
instead to the website to see what the changes are. Having got to the
website, you have to sift through thousands of words to discover that
BT have set up an 18 approx charge for CANCELLING your internet
service. This charge may not make a difference to too many people as
it only kicks in if your cancelling internet completely, NOT if your
taking you internet to another providor, (but does that include AOL
who have seperate units in many exchanges?)

However, as I found out recently when I tried to leave AOL, on hearing
of my departure they tricked me into changing my dial-in details, so
that when I left I incurred a 40 charge from BT. It seems that
advertising standards need to become more involved as these internet
crooks seem to be levying more charges through the back door as it
were; these are charges which should be clearly marked up at the time
of 'purchase'.

Turk182
Old October 31st 08, 09:05 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Turk182 explained on 31/10/2008 :
[...]

It's not a charge being levied by your ISP, however, it is one that
their supplier is charging them (Not just BT Retail)

Old October 31st 08, 09:13 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Max Demian

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 21:05:40 GMT, Jono
wrote:

[...]

PlusNet charge 20. And it applies if you change address while keeping
the same supplier.

--
Max Demian
Old October 31st 08, 09:39 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Shadrack

"Turk182" wrote in message
Watch out BT Internet users. Those masters of disguise BT have washed
in with some more billing alterations on the sneak.

snipped because your text won't add "indent marks"! ;-)

You have to remember, you are talking about BT one of the most
incompetent companies in the UK.

BT is a company who still live in the age when they considered it was
their right to decide if you were worthy enough to have a telephone.

BT is a company who have their heads so far up their own arses they
cannot see how they are destroying what was once a viable business.

BT are the most hated company in Europe, second only to British Gas
(BG) - note the initials?
Not dissimilar and both companies were once Nationalised. Coincidence?

In my experience, BT are the most incompetent, vindictive, malicious
bunch of ****s that I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. BT
Total Broadband? BT Total ******** more like!

Old October 31st 08, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.legal
Bob Eager

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 21:39:48 UTC, "Shadrack"
wrote:

BT are the most hated company in Europe, second only to British Gas
(BG) - note the initials?

So which is the most hated company? Make up your mind...

--
Bob Eager
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:

Old October 31st 08, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.legal
Unbeliever

wrote:

BT are the most hated company in Europe, second only to British Gas
(BG) - note the initials?

So which is the most hated company? Make up your mind...

Depends on whether he wants to list them alphabetically - but as he said "
second only to British Gas", it must be presumed that they are s...... in
line! :-)

Unbeliever

Old November 1st 08, 12:59 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Lee

Turk182 wrote:
Watch out BT Internet users. Those masters of disguise BT have washed
in with some more billing alterations on the sneak. Emails to BT
Interent customers make no mention of the detail, but refer you
instead to the website to see what the changes are. Having got to the
website, you have to sift through thousands of words to discover that
BT have set up an 18 approx charge for CANCELLING your internet
service. This charge may not make a difference to too many people as
it only kicks in if your cancelling internet completely, NOT if your
taking you internet to another providor, (but does that include AOL
who have seperate units in many exchanges?)

However, as I found out recently when I tried to leave AOL, on hearing
of my departure they tricked me into changing my dial-in details, so
that when I left I incurred a 40 charge from BT.

I don't think BT will have charged you for anything as from what you say,
you don't have a Contract with BT for the provision of Internet services.

Old November 1st 08, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

Turk182 wrote:

However, as I found out recently when I tried to leave AOL, on hearing
of my departure they tricked me into changing my dial-in details, so
that when I left I incurred a 40 charge from BT.

Could you perhaps elaborate on that please as I'm planning to do the same?
Who precisely asked you to change what?

(kim)

Old November 1st 08, 02:35 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
Pod

"Turk182" wrote in message

This charge may not make a difference to too many people as
it only kicks in if your cancelling internet completely, NOT if your
taking you internet to another providor, (but does that include AOL
who have seperate units in many exchanges?)

Yes it does include AOL.

BT Internet [and other ISP's] utilise IP Stream, the 'seperate units' in
other exchanges you refer to are
Local Loop Unbundled [LLU] lines.

AOL currently use IP Stream and LLU depending on whether or not they have
unbundled your local exchange.

You can migrate between IP Stream and LLU, and vice versa, by requesting a
Migration Authorisation Code [MAC] from your current ISP who must provide it
within 5 days under the Communications Act 2003 General Condition 22.
A migration will not incur the BT Retail cessation charge, but some ISP's
may charge a 'migrating-in' fee. Most ISP's worth bothering with will offer
free migration.

You are still liable for any costs under your current ISP's contract, though
they cannot withold a MAC for any debts you owe [known as 'debt blocking'
before the CA2003 was amended to include GC 22].

..However, as I found out recently when I tried to leave AOL, on hearing
of my departure they tricked me into changing my dial-in details, so
that when I left I incurred a 40 charge from BT.

How did you incur this charge?

Old November 1st 08, 03:57 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.telecom.broadband
johannes

Shadrack wrote:

"Turk182" wrote in message
Watch out BT Internet users. Those masters of disguise BT have washed
in with some more billing alterations on the sneak.

snipped because your text won't add "indent marks"! ;-)

You have to remember, you are talking about BT one of the most
incompetent companies in the UK.

BT is a company who still live in the age when they considered it was
their right to decide if you were worthy enough to have a telephone.

I virtually stopped using my landline phone, as my mobile provider is far
cheaper for international calls.