Virgin ADSL problems

Old November 1st 08, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brisargr

Default Virgin ADSL problems

Hi All

Since the 22nd, following a telephone line fault, I have been stuck
with very very slow download speeds (117kps). I have spent endless
hours contacting Virgin Customer Care (now there is a contradiction in
terms) to no avail. In fact there technical help was as useful as an
ashtray on a motorbike.

Running BT Speedchecker (many many times) I am told my connection rate
is 2464kps, IP Profile is 135, with an actual throughput of 117kps. I
have spent endless hours getting conflicting and inaccurate directions
from the Virgin team of "job experience" technical help, and have
alternately unplugged my router/modem overnight, stopped the router via
its internal webpage and then disconnected the phone line overnight,
rebooted the router many many times, all to no avail.

I have become so disillusioned and fed-up with Virgin that I have
cancelled my "service" (trades description springs to mind!).

Is there anyone out there that can advise how to raise the IP profile
so that I can get some usability during the short time until the new
ISP takes over.

Many many thanks

Brisar

--
brisargr
Old November 1st 08, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

brisargr wrote:

Is there anyone out there that can advise how to raise the IP profile
so that I can get some usability during the short time until the new
ISP takes over.

Your ISP will have to convince BT to do it, which naturally will require a
modicum of competence from a) the person you speak to at your ISP and b)
the person at your ISP who speaks to BT. Good luck!

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:12:51 up 17 days, 2:04, 2 users, load average: 0.02, 0.06, 0.01

Old November 1st 08, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"brisargr" wrote in message

[...]

First choose a competent ISP.

Andrews & Arnold come to mind ...

--
Graham J

Old November 2nd 08, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim

"brisargr" wrote in message

Hi All

Since the 22nd, following a telephone line fault, I have been stuck
with very very slow download speeds (117kps). I have spent endless
hours contacting Virgin Customer Care (now there is a contradiction in
terms) to no avail. In fact there technical help was as useful as an
ashtray on a motorbike.

All you had to do was email Virgin with a complaint, then fill in a
complaint form at www.ispa.org.uk - they will contact the ISP and
someone more senior will call you back.
It does work as I used them about 8 times in 3 months with Tiscali.

Running BT Speedchecker (many many times) I am told my connection rate
is 2464kps, IP Profile is 135, with an actual throughput of 117kps. I
have spent endless hours getting conflicting and inaccurate directions
from the Virgin team of "job experience" technical help,

I do hope you are sure it's not your fault - why would you need their
help with a router/modem or computer if you're familiar with them. If
as you say there was a line fault it is BT you need to contact, it is not
the problem of the ISP that your phone line had a fault. The ISP just
supplies a service, BT provide the line.

and have
alternately unplugged my router/modem overnight, stopped the router via
its internal webpage and then disconnected the phone line overnight,
rebooted the router many many times, all to no avail.

Why would you be doing that. You know what the problem is so why
have you not called BT to fix it? Once the line is fixed your internet
connection and phone service will be back to normal.

I have become so disillusioned and fed-up with Virgin that I have
cancelled my "service" (trades description springs to mind!).

Do you blame Virgin for causing or not fixing the line fault on a BT line?
How stupid does that make you sound?

Is there anyone out there that can advise how to raise the IP profile
so that I can get some usability during the short time until the new
ISP takes over.

Yes, contact BT. The only problem you have failed to notice is that
you will be back here in another week crying about your new ISP.
That new one will be just as bad until *YOU* contact *BT* for them
to fix the line. Cancelling one ISP and signing up with another will
***NOT*** fix a BT line fault. I'm not sure why you don't seem to
understand that! I can see why Virgin got annoyed with you and
made no effort to keep you as a customer. That comes over quite
clearly.

Many many thanks

Brisar

Old November 2nd 08, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

brisargr wrote:

Hi All

Since the 22nd, following a telephone line fault, I have been stuck
with very very slow download speeds (117kps). I have spent endless
hours contacting Virgin Customer Care (now there is a contradiction in
terms) to no avail. In fact there technical help was as useful as an
ashtray on a motorbike.

MOVE ISP !

Virgin , sorry NTL are junk. Always were, always will be.

Have they sent you any faked bills too ?

Graham

Old November 2nd 08, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Graham J wrote:

First choose a competent ISP.

Andrews & Arnold come to mind ...

Mega pricey.

Choose IDNet - email me and you get 10 off your first month. You will not
believe the difference !

Graham

Old November 2nd 08, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Tim wrote:

All you had to do was email Virgin with a complaint,

Where do you get the email addy from ? They hide everything.

then fill in a
complaint form at www.ispa.org.uk - they will contact the ISP and
someone more senior will call you back.
It does work as I used them about 8 times in 3 months with Tiscali.

You have a preference for crap ISPs do you ?

Graham

Old November 2nd 08, 02:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Why would you be doing that. You know what the problem is so why
have you not called BT to fix it? Once the line is fixed your internet
connection and phone service will be back to normal.

Very bad advice. As I read it , the OP is telling
us that the fault that was affecting the PSTN service
on his line has now been resolved and he is left with
problems that only affect ADSL.
The OP suspects the two things are connected and
it is quite possible they are, perhaps the exchange
pair has been swapped or re-routed, but even if
he is 100% sure that it is a BT issue he should not
report an ADSL fault to BT directly.
Firstly they will not be intrested and refer him to his
ISP but, if by chance they did investigate his line
for a voice fault (all they are contracted to do
for a customer) then he is sure to get a 3 digit bill
for the no fault found.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 2nd 08, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joedavid

"Tim" wrote in message

Yes, contact BT. The only problem you have failed to notice is that
you will be back here in another week crying about your new ISP.
That new one will be just as bad until *YOU* contact *BT* for them
to fix the line. Cancelling one ISP and signing up with another will
***NOT*** fix a BT line fault. I'm not sure why you don't seem to
understand that! I can see why Virgin got annoyed with you and
made no effort to keep you as a customer. That comes over quite
clearly.

As far as I'm aware BT will not deal with us on a BB problem, they only will
deal with the ISP.

If one is a BT phone customer then they will deal with us but only about
voice calls.

If phone supplier is someone else then again BT will not deal with us.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

We are the ISP customer and BT customer is the ISP NOT us.

Old November 2nd 08, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

brisargr wrote:
[...]

Virgin are hopeless. You should immediately ask for "someone who knows
what they're talking about" or a supervisor. That was the only way I
could get anything useful from them.

Once I spoke to someone who knew what was going on; problem resolved in
five minutes. (DHCP server wasn't giving us the DNS IPs - but most of
them had no idea what I was talking about. "You have to reinstall
Windows" was their best solution until someone just gave me the DNS
details.)