Brickbats and applause for Idnet plus sone VERY interesting info aboutBT

Old November 4th 08, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Default Brickbats and applause for Idnet plus sone VERY interesting info aboutBT

Just recently I noticed my connection wasn't as 'sporty' as usual.

Similar comments can be found here .....
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php# click on Idnet

Having a spare moment yesterday, I phoned them up FREE on their 08000
number and got through to Miriam in support within about 30 seconds.

I explained the symptoms, ocassional laggy reponse but good sync speed
(8000 kbps) and no trouble with the bbmax speed test.

Miriam asked me to run run the speedtester.bt.com one. It returned an
error message. She went "Ah!" made noises about congestion and said
she'd phone me back in 20 mins.

About 15 mins later she called back. They must have a hotline to BT !
She said "I know what the problem is" and proceeded to explain.

BT 'advertise' that their ADSL DSLAMs are never congested but that
doesn't take into account bursts of peak demand. This was 4 pm btw. They
have a threshold of 64% capacity at which point they install more new
hardware. Utilisation on my DSLAM was 61%. Miriam explained it would be
just a matter of time before the threshold was reached, possibly even as
low as days and it was beyond their control. She said as soon as it hits
64%, it takes 10 days to install new kit.

So well done Idnet for a prompt response from a natural English speaking
tech who actually KNOWS what she's talking about and gave a full and
precise response.

Ever wondered why cheap ISP's don't tempt me ? You pay for quality (and
not much more in this case).

Graham

Old November 5th 08, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Eeyore wrote:

[...]

p.s. anyone wishing to sample them (they have only a one month contract)
email me on the address in my headers for the required info and we both get
10 off the next (or first in your case presumably) bill.

So it's a no-brainer. Try it !

Graham

Old November 5th 08, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cork Soaker

Eeyore wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Just recently I noticed my connection wasn't as 'sporty' as usual.

Similar comments can be found here .....
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php# click on Idnet

Having a spare moment yesterday, I phoned them up FREE on their 08000
number and got through to Miriam in support within about 30 seconds.

I explained the symptoms, ocassional laggy reponse but good sync speed
(8000 kbps) and no trouble with the bbmax speed test.

Miriam asked me to run run the speedtester.bt.com one. It returned an
error message. She went "Ah!" made noises about congestion and said
she'd phone me back in 20 mins.

About 15 mins later she called back. They must have a hotline to BT !

All ISPs do - it's called a support line.

She said "I know what the problem is" and proceeded to explain.

Which proves she didn't ring BT, she just asked someone.

BT 'advertise' that their ADSL DSLAMs are never congested but that
doesn't take into account bursts of peak demand. This was 4 pm btw. They
have a threshold of 64% capacity at which point they install more new
hardware. Utilisation on my DSLAM was 61%. Miriam explained it would be
just a matter of time before the threshold was reached, possibly even as
low as days and it was beyond their control. She said as soon as it hits
64%, it takes 10 days to install new kit.

So well done Idnet for a prompt response from a natural English speaking
tech who actually KNOWS what she's talking about and gave a full and
precise response.

Ever wondered why cheap ISP's don't tempt me ? You pay for quality (and
not much more in this case).

My O2 ADSL has never had any problems, and it's cheap. The support is
also spot on. There are no limits or restrictions and they never pester me.

Graham

p.s. anyone wishing to sample them (they have only a one month contract)
email me on the address in my headers for the required info and we both get
10 off the next (or first in your case presumably) bill.

That's more than I pay per month anyway!

So it's a no-brainer. Try it !

Indeed.

Graham

Old November 5th 08, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

Eeyore wrote:
Ever wondered why cheap ISP's don't tempt me ? You pay for quality (and
not much more in this case).

Graham, your ISP is one of the few signed up to the BBC Multicast
experiment.

How is it?

--
Adrian C