Recommended cable wireless routers

Old November 5th 08, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

Default Recommended cable wireless routers

Someone I know who's on Virgin cable wants a wireless router, so I was
wondering if anyone on here could recommend one?

Virgin lists some on he

http://accessories.virginmedia.com/w...e/Default.aspx

but I can't say I've ever heard of Dynamode or Edimax.

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm

Old November 5th 08, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote in message
Someone I know who's on Virgin cable wants a wireless router, so I was
wondering if anyone on here could recommend one?

Virgin lists some on he

http://accessories.virginmedia.com/w...e/Default.aspx

but I can't say I've ever heard of Dynamode or Edimax.

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm

Almost anything will do the job. However if your friend is likely to
want to use Voip, the I would suggest Netgear as they are easier to set
up and are reliable.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old November 5th 08, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

"Woody" wrote in message

"DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote in message
Someone I know who's on Virgin cable wants a wireless router, so I
was
wondering if anyone on here could recommend one?

Virgin lists some on he

http://accessories.virginmedia.com/w...e/Default.aspx

but I can't say I've ever heard of Dynamode or Edimax.

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm

Almost anything will do the job. However if your friend is likely to
want to use Voip, the I would suggest Netgear as they are easier to
set
up and are reliable.

Okay, thanks. Is this the model most people use:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WGR6.../dp/B0000C1WO2

Old November 5th 08, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
"Woody" wrote in message

"DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote in message
Someone I know who's on Virgin cable wants a wireless router, so I
was
wondering if anyone on here could recommend one?

Virgin lists some on he

http://accessories.virginmedia.com/w...e/Default.aspx

but I can't say I've ever heard of Dynamode or Edimax.

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm

Almost anything will do the job. However if your friend is likely
to want to use Voip, the I would suggest Netgear as they are
easier to set
up and are reliable.

Okay, thanks. Is this the model most people use:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WGR6.../dp/B0000C1WO2

Depending on how much data you are using it may pay to go up market a little
to one of their bluebox offerings such as:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-ProS...1181&s r=1-75

I have found in their 'white box' models that they tend to choke if you are
passing a lot of data (p2p filesharing etc) sometimes it can be cured by
firmware updates, but I've never had any problems with (as I said) the blue
box (supposedly Pro) equipment...

Of course you'd have a little more security with this one as well..

Old November 5th 08, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Woody" wrote in message

[...]

Having looked at that link, is that particular 'Pro' version wireless?

Old November 5th 08, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
Someone I know who's on Virgin cable wants a wireless router, so I was
wondering if anyone on here could recommend one?

Virgin lists some on he

http://accessories.virginmedia.com/w...e/Default.aspx

but I can't say I've ever heard of Dynamode or Edimax.

They're both enormous makers of cheap and cheerful networking
technology. I have two edimax routers and an edimax print server, all of
which have worked fine.
Old November 5th 08, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Woody" wrote in message

[...]

Nope but there are other models

Old November 6th 08, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Mark McIntyre" wrote in message
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
Someone I know who's on Virgin cable wants a wireless router, so I was
wondering if anyone on here could recommend one?

Virgin lists some on he

http://accessories.virginmedia.com/w...e/Default.aspx

but I can't say I've ever heard of Dynamode or Edimax.

They're both enormous makers of cheap and cheerful networking technology.
I have two edimax routers and an edimax print server, all of which have
worked fine.

I second that. Edimax have ADSL routers at around £20 from Scan -
reasonable, I think.

I do know that the "wallwart" power supplies fail. When I whinged at Scan
they reported that they see a 2% failure rate on these PSUs, which they
thought was reasonable.

--
Graham J

Old November 6th 08, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote in message
Someone I know who's on Virgin cable wants a wireless router, so I was
wondering if anyone on here could recommend one?

I have been running a Netgear WGR614 v6 on Virgin Media and NTL (as it was
before) for a few years without any issues at all.

So I can recommend this one.

Old November 6th 08, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

"Woody" wrote in message

[...]

They probably won't download much - no P2P etc, so the white one will
probably be okay for them, but thanks for the info, as I might upgrade
my router at some point.