O2 Broadband - speed tests intermittent - early activation

Old November 6th 08, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren

Default O2 Broadband - speed tests intermittent - early activation

Hello

Ordered O2 8MB broadband on Sunday. Got a text to say activation will
be Friday.

Router arrived Wednesday so I decided to plug it all in because all
previous ADSL orders with other networks have always activated early.

Internet and DSL lights came on and its up and running 2 days early.

However.

Router stats say connected at 21meg, is this normal? Should it say
8meg?

Also, when I run speedtest.net i get different speeds everytime i run
it. One time it will be 1 meg, then 10meg, then 4 meg etc etc

If i start downloading a large file, it will jump up and down between
100kb/sec and 600kb/sec.

I am less than 0.5km from the exchange.

Does anybody know whats going on? o2 status page still says my
connection isnt active.

Is this what i can expect or has o2 still got work to do? will things
change on my actual activation date [friday] ?

Thanks

Darren
Old November 6th 08, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Darren wrote:

Is this what i can expect or has o2 still got work to do? will things
change on my actual activation date [friday] ?

Why not just wait until it's oficially activated?
Do you have an existing DSL service on your line?
My previous UK-Online service stopped working about 15:00 on the day of
activation then O2 was just a plug+go.

Just wait and stop meddling !
Old November 6th 08, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"Darren" wrote in message
[...]

For some reason when you first get connected you get the potential maximum
for your line and then it is capped at 8Mbps after a few days
I don't know why O2 do this.
I'm on Be* and I've seen some on the Be Value package see this, but don't
think it's the norm. The other packages, you get the full potential for
your line from day 1, but there is DLM running for 2 weeks on all packages
( I was connected some time ago, before they introduced DLM for new
subscribers)
Things are likely to change when O2 flick the switch (software setting)
their side to switch on the 8Mbps cap
As for speedtests, I hate www.speedtest.net finding it extremely unreliable
The speed test at www.thinkbroadband.com is usually quite reliable for me
and you can keep a record of tests
The most reliable way to measure speed is to download large files
There are some congestion type issues on the network currently which may be
affecting you - should be resolved by 17th November
As you've been activated early, it may be a bit erratic until your actual
activation day