Leaving virgin.net - will I loose e-mail address?

Old November 7th 08, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Leaving virgin.net - will I loose e-mail address?

I've used virgin.net as my ISP for 8+ years now - initially on dial-
up
and now on ADSL broadband. I was planning on changing broadband
supplier, maybe to o2, but I cannot afford to loose my virgin.net e-
mail address. If I ask Virgin for my MAC and move to another ISP will
they cancel my e-mail account?

If the answer to this question is "yes, they do cancel your e-mall
account" then would the following cunning plan work to keep the e-
mail
account active? - Ask Virgin to downgrade me back to dial-up and then
sign up to o2 broadband as a new, rather than a transfer, customer?
Old November 7th 08, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mortimer

wrote in message
I've used virgin.net as my ISP for 8+ years now - initially on dial-
up
and now on ADSL broadband. I was planning on changing broadband
supplier, maybe to o2, but I cannot afford to loose my virgin.net e-
mail address. If I ask Virgin for my MAC and move to another ISP will
they cancel my e-mail account?

If the answer to this question is "yes, they do cancel your e-mall
account" then would the following cunning plan work to keep the e-
mail
account active? - Ask Virgin to downgrade me back to dial-up and then
sign up to o2 broadband as a new, rather than a transfer, customer?

I signed up with Virgin back in the days of dial-up, over ten years ago.
Then when I got broadband I used PlusNet. The Virgin email account still
works perfectly, so it hasn't been cancelled due to not dialling into the
Virgin number.

Your situation might be slightly different because you explicitly cancelling
your broadband, which might trigger them to cancel your email account as
well, whereas I was just stopping dialling in but not explicitly informing
them of cancelling anything. However I'm sure you can downgrade the account
to dial-up (but never use the dial-up) to keep the email.

Old November 7th 08, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

wrote:

Yes, you bet. Anything to save a penny.

Get your own domain first and instruct your contacts to re-direct your
mail there.

Graham

Old November 7th 08, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Some1

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:46:31 -0000, "Mortimer" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Same here. They did send an email saying they would remove accounts if one did
not dial up to them every 60 days. That was 120 days ago, and it;s still
working.

--
The End
Old November 7th 08, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

wrote in message
I've used virgin.net as my ISP for 8+ years now - initially on dial-
up
and now on ADSL broadband. I was planning on changing broadband
supplier, maybe to o2, but I cannot afford to loose my virgin.net e-
mail address. If I ask Virgin for my MAC and move to another ISP will
they cancel my e-mail account?

If the answer to this question is "yes, they do cancel your e-mall
account" then would the following cunning plan work to keep the e-
mail
account active? - Ask Virgin to downgrade me back to dial-up and then
sign up to o2 broadband as a new, rather than a transfer, customer?

Why leave Virgin? Many on here complain, but realistically if you have a
good working connection they are one of the best, so why change?

Move to any other provider and you might get to thinking how good Virgin
really was!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old November 7th 08, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Nov 7, 8:15*pm, Mark McIntyre
mail address. If I ask Virgin for my MAC and move to another ISP will
they cancel my e-mail account?

Of course you will - the domain belongs to them, they're hardly going to
let you keep using it for free?

account active? - Ask Virgin to downgrade me back to dial-up and then
sign up to o2 broadband as a new, rather than a transfer, customer?

You'd still need the MAC.

The simplest is just to tell everyone you're moving ISP.

Why would I need a MAC? Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that
you only need a MAC to change from one broadband supplier to another.
If I go: Virgin broadband - Virgin dial-up - O2 broadband, why would
O2 need to see a MAC? Surely it's just like a customer who has never
had broadband signing up to O2's service?
Old November 7th 08, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Nov 7, 7:47*pm, "Woody" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Bwhaaaa! You don't work for Virgin do you? They consistently come near
the bottom of customer satisfaction surveys. I'm sure that I can get a
faster, more reliable and cheaper service elsewhere.