Access point as client ?

Old November 8th 08, 01:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Quagmire

Default Access point as client ?

Is it possible to use an access point as a "client" i.e. make windows think
its a wireless network card etc ?

Its an old 3com unit, fed with CAT5, and I can get this a LOT higher than my
PC !

TIA

Old November 8th 08, 03:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

"Quagmire" wrote in message
Is it possible to use an access point as a "client" i.e. make windows
think its a wireless network card etc ?

Its an old 3com unit, fed with CAT5, and I can get this a LOT higher than
my PC !

Not quite as you describe , but you can probably use it as a wireless bridge
and end up with the same result

--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"

Old November 8th 08, 04:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , Quagmire
writes
Is it possible to use an access point as a "client" i.e. make windows think
its a wireless network card etc ?

Its an old 3com unit, fed with CAT5, and I can get this a LOT higher than my
PC !

You should be able to. Alternatively, you might try using a USB dongle
on the end of a USB cable.

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.

Old November 10th 08, 05:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Quagmire wrote:
Is it possible to use an access point as a "client" i.e. make windows think
its a wireless network card etc ?

Its an old 3com unit, fed with CAT5, and I can get this a LOT higher than my
PC !

You'll have to look at the configuration page and see what the setup
options are.

If it has a client mode then it would emulate an ethernet cable rather
than a wireless network card.

Geoff Lane