BB Connection That Keeps Dropping Out

Old November 8th 08, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

Default BB Connection That Keeps Dropping Out

My neighbour had BB installed recently via Plus.NET and I helped her
install the wireless router and get up and running.

The BB connection keeps dropping out and re-connecting and it is beginning
to annoy her. I suspect it's an extension wiring issue, her setup is:

Old style BT main connection box (i.e. not NTE5).
One live extension run from inside the box and possibly one unused
extension.
The BB filter plugged into the front with the router plugged into the
appropriate socket and multi-connectors plugged into the phone side.
Plugged into these are an extension bell, a link from her fuel tank
transmitter to call the fuel company when the tank is low and a telephone.

Plus.NET have offered her an I-Plate FOC, presumably because they have
picked up the BB drop outs, I have told her to accept it while we think
about the best long term course of action although I am not sure she will
be able to use it.

I fitted my own NTE5 but I'm not sure about doing that for somebody else's
line. Is it likely to be the best course of action? I'm not sure where the
I-Plate comes in if I do that as the NTE5 from Solwise (from memory)
isolates BB/telephone anyway if I understand it correctly so there seems
little point in fitting an I-Plate as well.

Any thoughts? I guess getting BT in to fit an NTE5 is an expensive option.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap
Old November 8th 08, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message

[...]

An I-plate will be of no use without an NTE5 to fit it to.
Ideally you want to fit an NTE5 plus a filtered faceplate,
but there is the dilemma that you are not supposed to
tamper with the BT line and will your neighbour be circumspect
when reporting future faults etc.

One question that comes to mind, is that you mention
at least one extension that has been hardwired to
the main socket. Is anything connected to this socket,
and if so is it connected via a filter?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 8th 08, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Jeff Gaines wrote:

My neighbour had BB installed recently via Plus.NET and I helped her
install the wireless router and get up and running.

The BB connection keeps dropping out and re-connecting and it is beginning
to annoy her. I suspect it's an extension wiring issue, her setup is:

Not overhead line by any chance ?

If so the RF filter needs changing.

Graham

Old November 8th 08, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 08/11/2008 in message Eeyore wrote:

Jeff Gaines wrote:

My neighbour had BB installed recently via Plus.NET and I helped her
install the wireless router and get up and running.

The BB connection keeps dropping out and re-connecting and it is beginning
to annoy her. I suspect it's an extension wiring issue, her setup is:

Not overhead line by any chance ?

If so the RF filter needs changing.

Everything's overhead here, we do have underground water pipes for people
who no longer use their bore-holes!

Can you expand on the RF filter is that something BT would need to fit or
is it a consumer item?

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
Old November 8th 08, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Jeff Gaines wrote:

My neighbour had BB installed recently via Plus.NET and I helped her
install the wireless router and get up and running.

The BB connection keeps dropping out and re-connecting and it is beginning
to annoy her. I suspect it's an extension wiring issue, her setup is:

Not overhead line by any chance ?

If so the RF filter needs changing.

Everything's overhead here, we do have underground water pipes for people
who no longer use their bore-holes!

Can you expand on the RF filter is that something BT would need to fit or
is it a consumer item?

It's a BT only item that only BT openreach can change. It'll be a small
rectangular box likely to be near to building wiring entry.

Most ISPs such as Plusnet (with whom I had 2 months of hell with one due to an
un-notified LLU 'upgrade' to 8 MBPs) are cluless about these. They simply would
not call our BT regardless of my error log reports.

Changing to IDNet had it fixed in a jiffy. But then they are one of the best
ISPs in the country and only have a one month contract with no transfer fee. I
shouldn't really suggest it, but move to them for amonth, get it fixed and if
you're not blown away by their superior service go back to a cheap crap ISP.

Contact me on the email in my headers for 10 off too. You may find you want to
stay with them. I did !

Graham

Old November 8th 08, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Appollo

[...]

That's a very annoying problem. Can we all take it your neighbour knows
the line will appear to keep reconnecting for the first few weeks?
It does that on all new connections while the equipment at the exchange
works out the best speed.
If it is out of that time then there is definitely a problem. Do you know
for
certain it is the broadband connection stopping or whether it is the
wireless
side of the router and/or computer stopping and the computer showing a
"no internet connection" page?
Tell her to look at the router and see if any broadband light is turning
red or even flashing rapidly.
It might be best to eliminate that problem by temporarily connecting the
computer to router with a cable. If that doesn't apear to keep going off
then you have eliminated the phone line and broadband side of things.
Then it is down to the wireless settings and the range. My microwave
knocks off the signal to my WiFi radio in the kitchen!
I hope she is using WPA2 as the encryption or all the neighbours will
be getting broadband for free.

Old November 8th 08, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Exhausted

Jeff Gaines wrote:

[...]

what's the stats of the line?
do they change a lot ?

Also is this outside the 10 day training period ?
Old November 8th 08, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 08/11/2008 in message Appollo wrote:

If it is out of that time then there is definitely a problem. Do you know
for
certain it is the broadband connection stopping or whether it is the
wireless
side of the router and/or computer stopping and the computer showing a
"no internet connection" page?

It's the BB connection light on the router that goes off.

I hope she is using WPA2 as the encryption or all the neighbours will
be getting broadband for free.

Yes I set up WPA for her and got her to type in a pass-phrase while I
turned my back. I can see her connection from here but can't connect to it.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
Old November 8th 08, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 08/11/2008 in message
Exhausted wrote:

what's the stats of the line?
do they change a lot ?

I will have a look, I promised to go and see what I can do once I have the
collective wisdom of the group.

Also is this outside the 10 day training period ?

Yes, it must be a couple of months now.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks
Old November 8th 08, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 08/11/2008 in message Graham.
wrote:

An I-plate will be of no use without an NTE5 to fit it to.
Ideally you want to fit an NTE5 plus a filtered faceplate,
but there is the dilemma that you are not supposed to
tamper with the BT line and will your neighbour be circumspect
when reporting future faults etc.

Probably best to say no more on that....

One question that comes to mind, is that you mention
at least one extension that has been hardwired to
the main socket. Is anything connected to this socket,
and if so is it connected via a filter?

I will take a screwdriver with me when I go in to check, she has put a
filter on the phone. I did this for another neighbour a year ago and found
5 extensions connected behind the master socket, a surprise to them as
they only have 1 phone!

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant