Ok...can anyone puzzle this out.

Old November 9th 08, 01:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default Ok...can anyone puzzle this out.

I got asked to help someone 'get their broadband up'

So I thought, no problem.

Get there, sort oyu te filter 9i te wrong place' configure the machine
to talk TCOP/IP stick it on a sensible addess, talk to router, set that
up, put machine back on shcp and reboot. Yup. We can get a DHCP lease
and see the router.

But no ADSL. No blinken lihten on router.

Phone up AOL who aksed f they wanteed to upgarde from dial up a month
ago, and they say 'there is no ADSL o that luiine: it was cancleeed in
October.

Well What theh hell
Who can Tell
with AOL

...as the song says, so we say FSCK AOL, lets order some real
broadband..trot over here to look up on internet, and decide IDNET or
ZEN would be a good place to start.

Try to order from IDNET and it says

Cant put ADSL on that line, there is an order pending on it?

WTF?

Try ZEN. Same result.

Anyine capale of intelligent guessing (s oppsoed to AOL who seem to make
up reasons n te spot) what is actually happening.

WE THINK a BT engineer was fiddling with the poles a week ago 'putting
broadband in' - leastways that is what he SAID,though why he had to
fiddle at a pole beats me.

TBH all we need to know is what has actually happened.

And if AOL DO put the line up, can we cancel out of their one year
contract, due to utter and complete crap QOS?

Technical, I can deal with, but utter icompetence & bull**** and all in
the dulcet tones of Mumbai, over a very bad internet phone line, is
beyond me..
Old November 9th 08, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BTDTGTTS

[...]

Looking at the time of that post and the spelling I reckon the booze works
fine though

Old November 9th 08, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
198kHz

WE THINK a BT engineer was fiddling with the poles a week ago 'putting
broadband in' - leastways that is what he SAID,though why he had to
fiddle at a pole beats me.

Removing DACS?

Old November 9th 08, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

198kHz wrote:
WE THINK a BT engineer was fiddling with the poles a week ago 'putting
broadband in' - leastways that is what he SAID,though why he had to
fiddle at a pole beats me.

Removing DACS?

Ah....now would dacs also be a possible way for two neighbour's phone
numbers to get 'swapped'?

I do believe you have a part of the thing.

Old November 9th 08, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brightside S9

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 11:04:38 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

198kHz wrote:
WE THINK a BT engineer was fiddling with the poles a week ago 'putting
broadband in' - leastways that is what he SAID,though why he had to
fiddle at a pole beats me.

Removing DACS?

Ah....now would dacs also be a possible way for two neighbour's phone
numbers to get 'swapped'?

It sure can be. Two houses on my road were dacsed. One house was
signed up to Carphone Warehouse for rental, the other to Sky. The
Sky customer then signed up with Sky for BB. The dacs was correctly
removed but the lines got crossed. It took 5 days to get either Sky
or Carphone Warehouse to get it sorted. BT didn't want to know.
Though they were the cause of the problem!

--
brightside S9
Old November 9th 08, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
198kHz

198kHz wrote:
WE THINK a BT engineer was fiddling with the poles a week ago
'putting broadband in' - leastways that is what he SAID,though why
he had to fiddle at a pole beats me.

Removing DACS?

Ah....now would dacs also be a possible way for two neighbour's phone
numbers to get 'swapped'?

A cock-up by BT/Openreach? Not unheard of.

I do believe you have a part of the thing.

Old November 9th 08, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward Cowling London UK

In message , BTDTGTTS
writes

Technical, I can deal with, but utter icompetence & bull**** and all in
the dulcet tones of Mumbai, over a very bad internet phone line, is beyond
me..

Looking at the time of that post and the spelling I reckon the booze works
fine though

Yep, he's a master of languages. Pity none of them are plain English :-)

--
Edward Cowling "'Cause onces a good girl goes bad
We gone forever"

Old November 9th 08, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
In message , BTDTGTTS
writes

Technical, I can deal with, but utter icompetence & bull**** and all in
the dulcet tones of Mumbai, over a very bad internet phone line, is
beyond
me..

Looking at the time of that post and the spelling I reckon the booze
works
fine though

Yep, he's a master of languages. Pity none of them are plain English :-)

Indeed. Mastery of language is one thing. 70wpm on two fingers is quite
another. Especially with wrong glasses on..

Old November 9th 08, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward Cowling London UK

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
In message , BTDTGTTS
writes

Technical, I can deal with, but utter icompetence & bull**** and all in
the dulcet tones of Mumbai, over a very bad internet phone line, is
beyond
me..

Looking at the time of that post and the spelling I reckon the booze
works
fine though

Yep, he's a master of languages. Pity none of them are plain English :-)

Indeed. Mastery of language is one thing. 70wpm on two fingers is quite
another. Especially with wrong glasses on..

Sorry I humblie beg yor pedon :-)

Old November 9th 08, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

WE THINK a BT engineer was fiddling with the poles a week ago 'putting
broadband in' - leastways that is what he SAID,though why he had to
fiddle at a pole beats me.

Removing DACS?

Ah....now would dacs also be a possible way for two neighbour's phone
numbers to get 'swapped'?

A cock-up by BT/Openreach? Not unheard of.

The norm OM!

Peter Crosland