Can anyone in the Edinburgh area who has made the switch to Virgin Media's 2MB cable service confirm if it is worth it?

Old November 9th 08, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoSpam

Default Can anyone in the Edinburgh area who has made the switch to Virgin Media's 2MB cable service confirm if it is worth it?

i) In terms of STM?

ii) Are the speeds as advertised?

If not how slow does it become?
Is it anything like a dial-up connection? 56kbps

Does the STM last beyond the stated hours?

Is it dial-up speed most of the time, all through STM hours, and only good
in the early hours or late at night, or not even good during those periods?

How soon does the STM kick in?
Say if I was watching a 200MB clip, does the STM kick in immediately once
the monitored download level is reached? And once it kicks in is it even
slower than the alledge 1MB downgrade you will apparently be reduced to?

iii) Are there constantly dropped connections?

If so roughly how often a month?

I would ask Virgin Media, but I have a feeling they wouldn't be impartial.

Old November 9th 08, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FlyerUK

"nospam" wrote in message
i) In terms of STM?

ii) Are the speeds as advertised?

depends, when I was on 2MB, then 4MB, it was mostly that, now I'm o 10MB, it
varies, though still more than 4 ;-)

If not how slow does it become?
Is it anything like a dial-up connection? 56kbps

Some folk on the 20MB seem to think so ;-)

Does the STM last beyond the stated hours?

it lasts for 4 hours from when it's triggered.

Is it dial-up speed most of the time, all through STM hours, and only good
in the early hours or late at night, or not even good during those
periods?

How soon does the STM kick in?

the moment you hit the trigger level, then your download speed drops by 75%.
Upload is also affectede.

Say if I was watching a 200MB clip, does the STM kick in immediately once
the monitored download level is reached? And once it kicks in is it even
slower than the alledge 1MB downgrade you will apparently be reduced to?

it kicks in when you hit th trigger amount ;-)

P.

Old November 9th 08, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

nospam wrote:
(not in the edinburgh area but can comment on some of the points)

Does the STM last beyond the stated hours?

It lasts for 5 hours from when you trigger it. If you trigger 1 second
before the end of the "monitored" hours, you still get 5 hours STM.

Is it dial-up speed most of the time, all through STM hours,

Its /never/ Dialup speeds due to STM, though there may be other reasons
such as local congestion, remote server overload, maxing out your upload
channel with p2p, etc.

How soon does the STM kick in?

As soon as you hit the trigger level. For me, that means a couple of
times a month, despite fairly heavy binary newsgroup use and working
from home 2-3 days a week, VPN'ed into the office network.

And once it kicks in is it even
slower than the alledge 1MB downgrade you will apparently be reduced to?

My experience is that it slows you down to exactly the level its
supposed to. Which even on 2Mb is still very much higher than dialup.

I would ask Virgin Media, but I have a feeling they wouldn't be impartial.

Nor will anyone here - newsgroups are a self-selecting survey, and
mostly the only people who bother to comment are those with a
complaint... :-)