Recommendations for best deal?

Old November 10th 08, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Lipscombe

Default Recommendations for best deal?

Folks

A mate of mine has finally decided to ditch dial up and move into the 21st century.
As you may deduce he is not a geek and probably wont download masses of films etc. Once he gets into it you never know
though.

Any recommendations on the best deal out there currently for this type of user?
He is doesn't have cable potential.
I think that a reliable connection and good support when he needs it are more important than a couple of quid off the price.

TIA - Adam
Old November 10th 08, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Adam Lipscombe" wrote in message
Folks

A mate of mine has finally decided to ditch dial up and move into the 21st
century.
As you may deduce he is not a geek and probably wont download masses of
films etc. Once he gets into it you never know though.

Any recommendations on the best deal out there currently for this type of
user?
He is doesn't have cable potential.
I think that a reliable connection and good support when he needs it are
more important than a couple of quid off the price.

I'm into my 3rd month with adsl24 very good CS, best I ever had, do not
think there will be anyone better.
On the upto 8Mbs and Home30 £20 a month with a ONE month contract, so no
free router, but if it not work out not stuck for 12 to 18 month.
Down side is they do it through Entanet and they having a rough time at
moment with speeds in the off-peak period.
--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old November 10th 08, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Adam Lipscombe wrote:

Any recommendations on the best deal out there currently for this type
of user?
He is doesn't have cable potential.
I think that a reliable connection and good support when he needs it are
more important than a couple of quid off the price.

First check what is available on his local exchange:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

Then avoiding the likes of talktalk aol etc I would suggest if available
O2 or Be*
UK Online or Sky

Same underlying companies with different "front end" being different
pricing and different tech. support.

UK Online does have exceptional customer support with no queing times
and a freephone number that are genuinely sensible and not tied down to
they typical script reading foreign call centres.

HTH
Pete

Old November 10th 08, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

First check what is available on his local exchange:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php
Then avoiding the likes of talktalk aol etc I would suggest if available
O2 or Be* UK Online or Sky

Seconded for Sky as long as the exchange is LLU'd
Old November 10th 08, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Colin Wilson wrote:

O2 or Be* UK Online or Sky

Seconded for Sky as long as the exchange is LLU'd

Not had dealings with the Sky side of Easynet but as the OP said his
freind would be happier paying a bit more for good tech. support I'd opt
for UK online. Same kit, network etc just better UK (Ireland) tech
support who answer the phone withing a few seconds.

Also depends on whether his freind has any oterh sky services as to the
cost effectiveness(sp) of Sky over UK Online.

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Old November 11th 08, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charani

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:41:01 +0000, Adam Lipscombe wrote:

Any recommendations on the best deal out there currently for this
type of user?
He is doesn't have cable potential.
I think that a reliable connection and good support when he needs it
are more important than a couple of quid off the price.

Zen (www.zenbroadband.com/)

I've been with Zen for over a year with no problems at all:
connection's never dropped, speed's been steady and on the rare
occasions when I've had a query I've had prompt help that's been in
plain English, both by email and on the phone.
Old November 11th 08, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

wrote:

Folks

A mate of mine has finally decided to ditch dial up and move into the 21st century.
As you may deduce he is not a geek and probably wont download masses of films etc. Once he gets into it you never know
though.

Any recommendations on the best deal out there currently for this type of user?
He is doesn't have cable potential.
I think that a reliable connection and good support when he needs it are more important than a couple of quid off the price.

PlusNet BBYW1 @ £10 pm or BBYW2 @ £15pm. Whatever he does *avoid* BT
and AOL.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Old November 11th 08, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Lipscombe

OK thanks, he has an o2 mobile so the o2 "standard" deal looks good at £7.50 pm.
Thanks for all the help.

As an aside, I never quite understand why BT always get a slating - I have had BT business broadband for nearly five
years and it has always been excellent. On the odd occasion it does go pear-shaped I get through to helpful people in
Scotland who sort it directly. On once occasion a man-in-a-van arrived the same morning and fixed it :-)

There was one occasion it was unavailable for 2 months but that wasn't the broadband peoples fault - the main cable from
the exchange to the street cab failed and Cornwall County Council would not let BT dig up the road in the "season" for
fear of disrupting the tourist traffic. I was very annoyed then, but with the council, not BT. Al least BT paid some
some compensation, despite it not being their fault.

Just my 6 ha'p'orth - Maybe the business service is streets ahead of the home, it guess it should be considering it
costs more.

Adam

Old November 11th 08, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Adam Lipscombe wrote:
Folks

A mate of mine has finally decided to ditch dial up and move into the
21st century.
As you may deduce he is not a geek and probably wont download masses of
films etc. Once he gets into it you never know though.

Any recommendations on the best deal out there currently for this type of
user?
He is doesn't have cable potential.
I think that a reliable connection and good support when he needs it are
more important than a couple of quid off the price.

You spoke to someone in Scotland !
Gosh you must be special, when we ring BT it is someone in INDIA that
answers.. Almost impossible to understand then even though they speaking
English. Also if your problem not on their FAQ you get a nonsense reply.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old November 12th 08, 08:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charani

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:50:10 +0000, Mark wrote:

PlusNet BBYW1 @ £10 pm or BBYW2 @ £15pm. Whatever he does *avoid* BT
and AOL.

I agree with avoiding BT and AOL, esp the latter, but PlusNet is now
owned by BT ) I don't rate NTL (now Virgin Media), Freeserve (now
Orange formerly Wannadoo) or TalkTalk (aka Carphone Warehouse).